The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 13, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #5,131 of 17,484
Received my X3 today and must say loving it already,inserted my 32g card from my c3 and playing brilliantly out the box with all album art on show,too scared to download new firmware as it all seems great as it is!
gs1000.gif

Hey cattlethief, can you give us a quick comparison of the sound quality compared to the C3? Is it an obvious upgrade or just a different sound signature?

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #5,133 of 17,484
The C3 blew me away when i first heard it(with BH),so far X3 is on a par sound wise,but i love the build of theX3
beerchug.gif
 and it can play my HD(24,96 download of Muses 2nd law beautifully)that and the coax output.It was a toss up between the X3 and DX50 but James and the Fiio support team are second to none!

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #5,135 of 17,484
Anyone have a chance to see what the battery life is on the X3 when using only LO?

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #5,136 of 17,484
  I fixed my issue by formatting my 64 GB card to allocation size 32768 rather than 65536 . Now it works fine.

Formatting a 64 gigbyte card into a 32 gigabyte partition is not a solution. That is a temporary workaround, as is "not buying the 64 gig card".

Unless you are talking about your ALLOCATION size, which should be 32K for a 32 gig card, 16K for a 16 gig card, etc.

Also, i'm about to try this mp3 syncing thing with Musicbee. I'll let you guys know how that goes. Incase you arent clued in on the situation, Since I dont have a big microsd card (and because of these problems people keep having, i'd rather not risk buying one right now) I need a way to transfer my FLAC and mp3 onto my player. I only want mp3 320kbps on the player. So if its flac, it should be converted and transfered. If its mp3, it should be copy pasted. Simple enough for a transfering algorithm to do, and simple to implement with a perl script or something, but if musicbee can already do this I dont want to sit there writing perl code and developing it for weeks.

Very sorry, please choose the size of the cluster for 32K but not 64K when you format the TF card to FAT32 , there are some compatible issue with 64K cluster . 

lol james....

good thing i mentioned something, eh?

Thank you James. This is what I did and it fixed the problem.

And a big thank you to you, Stuff Jones, for having discovered the solution and mentioned it in the first place!  

beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #5,138 of 17,484
Still early impressions, line-out to T5 has a wider, deeper soundstage. RE262 is not a good match with X3, but sounds amazing with X3 line-out and T5. I think I already found my portable set-up!

Other things I found out, iBasso T5 is not a good match for very sensitive IEMs like MEE A161P.

X3 is VERY powerfull, I can easily use low gain for about any IEMs I have.
This weekend I will listen to my X3 with some of my favorite IEMs with and without extra amps like iBasso T5 and Fiio E12. I will compare to iBasso D4 but I am not going to test iBasso D4 as amp only because that's not a set-up I would take with me. Same thing with my Meier CORDA MOVE.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #5,139 of 17,484
Can you guys check something for me?

Set your idle time off to the lowest it goes and wipe your database lib. Then update the database (a clean full creation of database). Check if all of your songs populated. I want to make sure that while updating lib the player doesn't think it is idle.

Just got my X3, so I figured I try this out (although you've probably done it already). I set the idle to 30 sec. Loaded up my SD card (Kingston 64GB) with ~57GB of files, and did the update (only took a couple of minutes). All 106 albums showed in my library (didn't bother to count songs tho), no freeze, no time out, pretty much painless - except that musicbee was having issues with the SD card, but a driver update fixed that. So far so good, but.....
Is the transfer rate over USB (internal memory) typically between 4-7 MB/s. My card reader hits ~12, and my external hd (usb2.0) can do ~20, so this seems really slow to me.
I'll need to some listening time before I can comment on sound...but so far no complaints.
BTW have you tried your transfer with MB yet? Like I mentioned I really had no problems after I upgraded my card reader drivers, but I didn't need to bother with file conversion either (just set to embed the artwork)

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #5,140 of 17,484

Just got my X3, so I figured I try this out (although you've probably done it already). I set the idle to 30 sec. Loaded up my SD card (Kingston 64GB) with ~57GB of files, and did the update (only took a couple of minutes). All 106 albums showed in my library (didn't bother to count songs tho), no freeze, no time out, pretty much painless - except that musicbee was having issues with the SD card, but a driver update fixed that. So far so good, but.....
Is the transfer rate over USB (internal memory) typically between 4-7 MB/s. My card reader hits ~12, and my external hd (usb2.0) can do ~20, so this seems really slow to me.
I'll need to some listening time before I can comment on sound...but so far no complaints.
BTW have you tried your transfer with MB yet? Like I mentioned I really had no problems after I upgraded my card reader drivers, but I didn't need to bother with file conversion either (just set to embed the artwork)

YES, the transfer rate is 4-7 MB/s. you can use a card reader to transfer the songs to the TF card first. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 14, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #5,141 of 17,484
Received my X3 today and must say loving it already,inserted my 32g card from my c3 and playing brilliantly out the box with all album art on show,too scared to download new firmware as it all seems great as it is!:gs1000smile:

i don't think there's any need to be scared, the process is very easy, virtually no possibility of breaking it :wink:

Stupid question. Will be fixed is gapless playback sometime in browser folders?

It would be a good thing..

Or  happy,  that been working via ----> / Category / album / ?  :)

FiiO is working on improved gapless playback :)

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #5,142 of 17,484

My X3 arrived today. I put some of my favorite FLACs on a card and compared the X3 to my current player, a Colorfly C4. I only used my primary headphones, orthodynamic Smeggy Thunderpants (50 ohm). These are low sensitivity headphones, though not as low as some others.

Bass: Same quantity. The X3 is better controlled which is important as the Thunderpants can get a bit flabby with some amplification.

Mids: More difference here. The Colorfly is more prominent (I think this is why some people have called the X3 "thin"). I prefer the X3. If you have compared electrostatic phones to dynamic ones you will know what I am talking about. The X3 is an electrostatic, the Colorfly a dynamic. To me this results in a less fatiguing sound.

Highs: Similar in tonal balance. The X3 is less edgy (and the Colorfly is itself one of the smoother DAPs).

Imaging: The X3 is more precisely focused, the Colorfly more diffuse. Not enough of a difference to be very significant.

Power: X3 wins hands down. Set to high gain, has much more headroom and shows little signs of strain except at high levels.

Looks: While the X3 is a very nice looking unit and substantially made, the Colorfly wins hands down. Can't win everything :)

UI: Haven't really had much time to play with the X3 but the Colorfly has an extremely basic UI and it's hard to believe the X3 won't be better.

Storage: Colorfly has 32GB internal and can take a 32GB SD. X3 has 8GB internal and can cake a 64GB microSD.

Convenience: X3 is much smaller so better on planes which is where I use a DAP. Only downside is the X3 only has a 1/8" jack (Colorfly has a 1/4" also). Anyone know of a well made but not over-priced flexible 14" to 1/8" adapter? I could make my own but 1/4" inline jacks are not too common.

Conclusion: Except for looks except for looks and the lack of a 1/4" jack (which wouldn't have fit in the case)  the X3 wins in every instance. So a $200 DAP beats (at least with my 'phones' and my tastes) a $750 one. I will be selling my Colorfly. I will start with using a 32GB card and will go to a 64GB with the next firmware release,

In term of sound stage, separation and detail between FiioX3 vs Colorfly C4, can you tell us more?

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #5,143 of 17,484
I tested X3 with line-out to E12 and the difference is very small, not worth the hassle, E12 is too big to be portable. T5 is better and very portable so that's what I will be using. My Re262 benefit enough to chose for the extra T5 but when I use SM3 it's hardly noticeable with or without T5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back