The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #3,901 of 17,481
After properly formatting to fat32 with the GUI utility my SanDisk Ultra 64gb (part#SDSDQUA-064G-A11A) has had no issues with the X3 in terms of the flac and mp3 files folders (music-4 subfolders-artist-album-song) being indexed, read, played, album art displayed.  The x3 also seems to read the card quickly (have it set to auto).

I don't know if there are inconsistencies with the SD cards but I got this one new from Newegg and it has performed well and gotten along with the X3.  After reading about the problems others were having I did make sure I had everything properly tagged using Foobar and mp3tag. 

FWIW anyway. 

What is the size of his music archive, and also how many folders and tracks are there in total?

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #3,904 of 17,481
Quote:

Miccastore.com has the skin in both black and blue in stock.  For the moment, however, you can only order them when you buy the X3 (for just $1)! 

If you contact them, they may be willing to sell you one separate, but you'll probably have to pay shipping. 

Thanks.

Emailed, waiting for a response.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3,905 of 17,481
Quote:

Miccastore.com has the skin in both black and blue in stock.  For the moment, however, you can only order them when you buy the X3 (for just $1)! 

If you contact them, they may be willing to sell you one separate, but you'll probably have to pay shipping. 

Thanks for the clarification

I didn't realize that the black and other color cases were retail products. 

Thanks for the post. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #3,907 of 17,481
For the record I got a new 32 gig SD card from BestBuy and transferred my 20 gig (Itunes structured) collection to it...put in in the X3 and manually updated the library. The result was essentially the same as it was with the 64 gig card....I am not able to browse past the letter j on the X3. It appears my problem stems from the file structure...as the card size clearly makes no difference. I am getting by with the one folder work around for now, but hopefully this issue can be resolved soon. (Sorry in advance if this was double posted).

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #3,910 of 17,481
Quote:
For the record I got a new 32 gig SD card from BestBuy and transferred my 20 gig (Itunes structured) collection to it...put in in the X3 and manually updated the library. The result was essentially the same as it was with the 64 gig card....I am not able to browse past the letter j on the X3. It appears my problem stems from the file structure...as the card size clearly makes no difference. I am getting by with the one folder work around for now, but hopefully this issue can be resolved soon. (Sorry in advance if this was double posted).

I thought some people found that this was caused by having too many subfolders in one single folder.
I think they got around it by having two root folders in the SD card, so one folder contains A-I, and the other containing J-Z, or something.
It's still a problem that Fiio needs to fix, but at least it is better than the "one folder" trick.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #3,911 of 17,481
Quote:
BTW, I realized one serious question that it become impossible to me to track each question about X3 now. so please help me post any question and suggestion in another thread

FAQ and Advice of X3

Also we already put a very detail FAQ inside the X3 but I guess there are quit lots of user have not get through it. so please take a look at the files first there already have some answers. 

And just my suggestion, let this thread become a thread that people can find the answer about the SQ. 

Unfortunately your FAQ thread does not show up if you search for "Fiio X3" on the forum search (since the thread title doesn't say "Fiio").
I don't think many people know about the existence of the thread.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #3,912 of 17,481
I actually tried this method when I first encountered the issue with the 64 gig card....i made two folders, tranferred everything up to letter j to one folder..updated, then transferred the rest to the other folder and updated. The x3 only saw what was in the first folder...it was very strange....it just doest like how my folders are stuctured i guess......

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #3,913 of 17,481
Quote:

Do you exceed a total path length of 256 characters on one of your files? Remember it is FAT32, the total path is like "x:\music\artist\album\track\songtitle.extension" and if it is too long, it might just not be able to process that and therefore stops.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #3,915 of 17,481

Ripping your 70 minute mix CD to FLAC would absolutely result in 14 separate FLAC files that would play gapless in WinAmp, Foobar, almost any iPod, any Sansa Clip with Rockbox on it.  Unlike mp3, FLAC is a gapless format by design. 

However, with most Chinese DAPs (99.9% of them in experience), the system design/firmware for some reason will insert a gap between each track on playback.  I've never fully understood why that is, and it is incomprehisble to me why anyone would design a player that cannot play all FLACs gapless (and preferably mp3 and every other format as well). In the case of the X3, it is because the entire playback system is dependent on the ID3 tags in the FLAC files.

The X3 will play your mix CD gapless, as long as the software you use to rip the disc tags the FLAC files in the process.  If it doesn't, you could add them manually in Foobar and many other programs.  It's not really a big deal if you have only a few albums that require gapless playback.  Tagging just a few albums is neither difficult nor time consuming.  However, if you have a massvie 3TB library of live recordings, it's a monumental task. 

hi, thanks for the above, makes things a little clearer for me. My music is ripped using vortexbox, which upon reading does all the tagging (ID3) etc so I should be ok. Currently I do not have all of my cd's ripped and I think I would only have no more than 30gb on the x3 so shouldn't experience problems with cards etc. I think vortex box rips as artist / album / music - which seems to pose a problem with the x3? When I use my squeezebox at home I only ever search by album and this would be my prefered choice here as well (hence a previous question about cover-flow) Would I need to re-tag anything to become say: album / music (not fussed about artist as I know who has produced the album anyway) many thanks for your guidance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back