The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #3,736 of 17,484
Quote:
Has anyone used the line out of X3 to an external amp without any problems? If so, can you tell me which amp you used? I find the line out is extremely loud for the portable amp I have right now.

what portable amp are you using?  I am using the JDS labs C5 with my x3 and I am loving it.  It's got no problems with volume.  It gives more bass than the x3 amp section can give,  Less warmpth and midbass too (compared to bass +10 on the x3).  Clarity is the same though. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #3,737 of 17,484
Quote:

what portable amp are you using?  I am using the JDS labs C5 with my x3 and I am loving it.  It's got no problems with volume.  It gives more bass than the x3 amp section can give,  Less warmpth and midbass too (compared to bass +10 on the x3).  Clarity is the same though. 

C&C BH. I'm also using sensitive iems Heir Audio 4.A. 

I basically have no ability to change volume cause its already insanely loud at the minimum level lol. -__- 

It doesn't make sense why I can't change the output signal from the dap. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #3,738 of 17,484
Quote:

I basically have no ability to change volume cause its already insanely loud at the minimum level lol. -__- 

I'm using jh16's which are pretty sensitive.  It sounds like the problem is with your amp.  I can control the volume with my C5 through all the steps no problem.  However, I notice that as soon as I turn off my amp, but leave the x3 playing, I can hear the music somehow seeping through the C5, very static-ky.  Sounds like its forcing its way through my amp circuitry.  No problem for me though because I turn off my x3 when I don't use it. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,739 of 17,484
Thanks. I really hope they can fix this issue with 64 gb cards in the next firmware update--I like to keep everything in folders. Until then, I'll stick with smaller cards for now or just use the browse mode for my 64 gb cards.

I did try swapping cards with the player on, and it worked like a charm--no delay in reading the indexed smaller-size cards, and the 64 gb card loaded quickly in browse mode. This was a pleasant surprise, as this can be an issue with other high-end players, like IBasso.

One of these days they'll figure out how to make swapping cards as easy as putting in a new cassette.
regular_smile .gif

Quote:

On my Sandisk Ultra 64GB card, using the "single folder" trick, my 60GB of music takes around 2 minutes to index completely.
When I had the songs in individual album folders, the indexing never completed and went into an endless loop.
It never had this problem when I only had around 30GB of music in the card.

If you press any buttons (except the Hold button?) during the indexing then the system sometimes freezes and you have to reboot the X3. If the screen turns black and can't see the progress then I use the hold button to wake it up.

I have swapped the microSD card several times whilst the X3 is turned on and so far it had no issues, but I am not guaranteeing that this won't damage the X3 or the SD in any way.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #3,740 of 17,484
Quote:

Like another member posted. If your amplifier amplifies the signal from the line level output of the X3 too much for your already very sensitive CIEM's. Then use a different amp or use the X3 by itself.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #3,741 of 17,484
Quote:
I cannot say that I know if the x3 will read 'generic hierarchical'  but is there a reason you do not want to use the verbatim or GUI utilities to format to fat32?  Mine would not read the exFat format so I reformatted and reimported the music onto the SanDisk 64gb card and the X3 read the files and folders just fine. 

The problem is, I don't have sd card reader. I'm inserting sd card into clip+ and then copying files. Now when I use 3rd party program to format it is not detecting sd card inside clip+

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #3,742 of 17,484
Quote:

The problem is, I don't have sd card reader. I'm inserting sd card into clip+ and then copying files. Now when I use 3rd party program to format it is not detecting sd card inside clip+

Anyways in Windows XP it is showing as 'Generic Hierarchical' but in Mac os it is showing as 'FAT 32' only. I have started copying files

I have ordered X3 from mp4nation. so before I get my X3 delivered I want to make ready with my sd card, FLAC, 96-24 tracks and mp3 in one roof

Keeping my fingers crossed

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #3,743 of 17,484
Update on using X3 -

1) On my second charge ...only had it playing for about 3 hour plus and suddenly I noticed the battery level remaining at 1/4 left ...find it strange ..so I switch it off and restarted it again ...battery level went back up to 3/4 and after 10 minute drop back to 1/4 again and after about another 10 minutes ...battery level is almost running on empty. This cant be right. Any other X3 user have this issue ? Very worried with this issue as for the other issues ..I think fw update will hopefully clear up but battery issue is hardware problem

Update ...the battery level has been going bonkers from 3/4 to 1/4 flip flopping ....been monitoring it and it is very disturbing.

Any suggestions?

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #3,744 of 17,484
Quote:

Ah ok, thanks!

Quote:
I have a 64GB card that I am having no issues with so far. I formatted it using Verbatim's sofware. My folder structure is root>artist>album>song . Just wanted to reply to the people asking if some people were using 64GB and not having issues.

Hmmm... I was using GUIformat to do that but I have a different folder structure (root>bigfolder>genre>album>song). Do you have the link to Verbatim's software (can't find it in the official website)?

Quote:
Here's my update..  I'm thinking that there can only be so many sub folders in a root folder...
to prove this..
I just now split the root folder in half...  I took all folders that started with an R thru Z and cut/pasted them into a new folder called Music2...  so now on a 64GB card I have at the root, two folders.. One called Music and another called Music2
The folder with Music contains all albums from "numbers to the letter P"  the other folder in the root is called Music2 and it contains all albums " R thru Z "

The X3 now sees all of the albums and plays them fine...  this implies that a folder in the root directory can have just so many sub folders (albums) so you will need to break up your collection depending on how many albums you have...  Not a big deal you just need to be aware of how to circumvent this issue...

My folder structure is similar to that (using the big folder) but the microSD card would not be even detected...

Quote:

Strange, have you tried GUIformat (it could detect the sd card in my Clip Zip)?

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3,746 of 17,484
Quote:
Great i bought the hd650 last nite...and thinking of cable upgrade.. But now will look into x1 instead..

Out of curiosity, do u think x1 will perform well for electric era of miles?

I'll tell you in a couple of days.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #3,747 of 17,484
I just realized that gapless playback of FLAC files appears to be working fine on my X3 in Category/Album playback mode. 

So far, I've played only one gapless recording.  It's a live recording I made myself.  It's in 44k/16bit FLAC format with simple ID3 tags. I'm getting seamless playback, not short gaps as has been reported previously. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #3,748 of 17,484
Quote:

The Philips Fidelio X1 (was like $600 and currently $249 on amazon.com) is a steal now and complements the X3 well. Miles sounds wonderful through both in Lossless. IEMs? Each is a bit different in the signatures, but I recommend the H-200, RE-400 or ASG-2. I get the M-200 tomorrow, so we'll see if I add that to the list. But the X1 (with a good burn-in) is the best headphone I've ever owned. And opened-headphone with wonderful bass.

Have you tried it with your TDK IE800s yet?

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #3,749 of 17,484
great informative thread :) I have a couple of questions before I pull the trigger on one of these.... 1) I rather like the album art / cover flow feature on my rockboxed ipod (or classic) - on the fiio x3 can you scroll the albums via album art or is it essentially a file browser option? No biggie and not a deal breaker - just wondering if you can 2) A question on the gapless side of things.... most of my music is ripped to flac and some is 320kbps mp3. A lot of my albums are gapless as purchased that way (for example dj mix albums) which are say 16 tracks but mixed together. Will the x3 still play them as one seamless mix, or will it "insert" gaps between the tracks? Gapless albums ripped to flac and played aruond the house still play in a gapless manner, I wondered if this would be the case with the fiio cheers G

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #3,750 of 17,484
First I'd like to congratulate Fiio to finally be able to release the marvellous X3!
It sounds great (clean, powerful, noiseless, lots of headroom, ...) and I love the UI. In general anyway. Of course it can't be perfect right away, so I'd like to place a few suggestions:

Urgent:
  1. Menu structure under "Category/Artist" should first jump to a list of all albums by that artist.
  2. Menu structure under "Category/Genre/%<chosen genre>%" should show a list of albums (grouped by artist) of that genre.
  3. Media library should respect the "Disc Number" tag, so an album with more than one disc would list the tracks correctly (i.e. Disc1-Track1, Disc1-Track2, ...Disc1-Track10, Disc2-Track1, ...). For now it seems it doesn't do that.

Important:
  1. Gapless sometimes doesn't work. Playing an album gaplessly (started under "Category", of course) may work fine for a few tracks and then suddenly a track-change occurs with a noticeable pause between tracks. Skipping back and repeating the same track change works then flawlessly. Not specific to a certain album or resolution (happens with 16/44.1 ... 24/192 at random).
  2. Starting playback with a new album, playlist from playing something else or from stop sometimes causes one or more noticeable clicks and pops (playback buffer set too low?)
  3. Sorting the "Category/Album" list should not just work alphabetically, but for example be grouped by artist / sorted by year -> alphabet or alphabet only

Nice-to-have:
  1. Quick fade out/-in when going into seek, continue playing within a song, pause (let's say 100-200ms)
  2. Resume on power-on in pause mode, so the user would have to (re-)start playback

Wishful thinking:
  1. Intelligent/dynamic playlist(s). Based on Genre/Rating/Year/... with a memory for recently played tracks/artists (i.e. "don't play the same track twice within 24h and don't play tracks by the same artist within 10 songs" The user would only save the settings, so if the library content changes it would automatically adapt.

I hope Fiio takes these suggestions under serious consideration, since I assume some of them wouldn't be too hard to implement :wink: Thank you @Fiio in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back