The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #3,091 of 17,484
I think the sign of a true audiophile is a somebody who is equally intrigued by a 200 dollar device when he/ she has already spent 1,000s on reference equipment. That 'll be me:p
Bought an x3 for my dad swear it wasn't for me!

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3,093 of 17,484
If it's just a transport.... There shouldn't be any warmth from the x3. It'd just be the combo that gives any warmth.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #3,095 of 17,484
Paired my X3 as a transport with the iBasso combo of PB2/DB2 and it's fantastic. Drives each of my cans with authority and loses a wee bit of its warmth too.

Hi mate! How good is X3 as a transport comparing to your other source? Is there any different feeding your DB2/PB2 combo between PC and X3? Thanks!

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #3,096 of 17,484
The X3 sounds a bit cold as a transport. When used as a DAP, it's fun and games but it's serious business when the coaxial cable is connected. Compared to my PC, s optical out I would rate the X3 higher. BTW I use an Asus DGX in my PC.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #3,098 of 17,484
I'm a little loss... How can a transport be cold or warm? Isn't it just a digital signal source. Digital signals can't be cold or warm. Analogs can. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I always understood.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3,099 of 17,484
Quote:
I'm a little loss... How can a transport be cold or warm? Isn't it just a digital signal source. Digital signals can't be cold or warm. Analogs can. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I always understood.

Transports can have sound characteristics. I wouldn't go as far to say it is extremely noticeable, but that's why people pay mega bucks for TOTL ones. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #3,100 of 17,484
Quote:

The reason is simple: jitter

It's the primary reason transports will sound different.  Every transport will put out some amount of jitter at the output jack.  The better designs use some kind of jitter reduction circuitry at the input/output stage.  Use coaxial jacks whenever possible. Toslink optical is horrendous and should be avoided at all costs.  The problem is not the optical cables themselves, but the output transmitter and input receivers used in the components.  The Toslink jack was a horrible design that never should have gotten off the drawing board. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #3,102 of 17,484
Still doesn't make sense. How can 1's and 0's change? It's a transport. If there are differences than those are some crappy transports

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #3,103 of 17,484
It's a lot of technical jargon that is very convoluted, but despite the confusion after auditioning different transports most people will pick up on the differences. It isn't as black and white as 1s and 0s. If that logic was flawless, there would be tons of companies out of work. USB converters, USB cable companies, even the basic premise of a DAC would sound the same... according to that logic. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #3,105 of 17,484
Jitter is timing errors in the 1 and 0s. If they don't arrive when they're supposed to, then your data stream isn't quite right. There is plenty to be learned about jitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back