The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,311 of 17,484
Quote:
The E12 has a rollable edition. There is no warranty on that.

The X3 is kinda 'rollable'. Although the need for SMD soldering kinda defeats the word 'rollable'.

CLIEOS was able to solder another op amp into the X3. 

I solder, but I don't have the skills for SMD soldering yet.

I wonder if the Burr Brown OPA627 will work with the X3 
rolleyes.gif
 because if it does work. Well let's just say that after my review is done. I'll master the art of SMD soldering

If I want to guarantee that my electronic devices will break, all I have to do is pick up a soldering iron...
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,314 of 17,484
Quote:
The X3 has been designed to sound audibly transparent. iMod has treble roll off and people have tended to call it 'warm sounding', also it largely depends on what amp you use with the iMod.

No, iMod doesn't have a treble rolloff. It might have bass rolloff if the output caps are too small. However, the selection of output caps will greatly affects the tone of the output - the favorite for many iMod is the BlackGate HiQ and it is actually a dark sounding cap, hence why many believe the treble is rolloff (which isn't, as measurement has been done). If you do an iMod with other caps you won't find it to be that dark sounding, and quite possibly the opposite. Personally I much prefer Nichicon Muse or Oxicap over BlackGate.

Quote:
What I read on ClieOS's impressions is that the X3 headphone out may be a bit towards bass so he did an op amp solder swap to hear more treble out of it.

Even though X3 measures perfectly flat, it might not 'perceived' flat. Opamp has each has its own 'tone', so to speak. You can make them sounds as transparent as you want if optimize the whole amp section for it, but it won't be practical to use it that way in a portable player. O2 will be a good example for that.

Quote:

I wonder if the Burr Brown OPA627 will work with the X3 
rolleyes.gif
 because if it does work. Well let's just say that after my review is done. I'll master the art of SMD soldering

OPA627 is mono channel and very high in output impedance, so it is not suitable for portable purpose unless you have the space for 2 chips and implement a buffer stage after them.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #2,315 of 17,484
Quote:

OPA627 is mono channel and very high in output impedance, so it is not suitable for portable purpose unless you have the space for 2 chips and implement a buffer stage after them.

Thanks. I should have known something was gonna stop me.

Unless I'm wrong. I have an extra OP2227 and that should be stereo as I only use one chip inside my unit.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,316 of 17,484
Yes, OPA2227 is dual channels. Instead of OPA2227, I am more inclined to recommend OPA2209 - very similar sound signature, but better sounding all around.

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #2,323 of 17,484
Quote:

No, iMod doesn't have a treble rolloff. It might have bass rolloff if the output caps are too small. However, the selection of output caps will greatly affects the tone of the output - the favorite for many iMod is the BlackGate HiQ and it is actually a dark sounding cap, hence why many believe the treble is rolloff (which isn't, as measurement has been done). If you do an iMod with other caps you won't find it to be that dark sounding, and quite possibly the opposite. Personally I much prefer Nichicon Muse or Oxicap over BlackGate.

Where are the measurements for the iMod? Is it the RWA one?

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #2,324 of 17,484
Quote:
Where are the measurements for the iMod? Is it the RWA one?

Not sure. I saw it a very long time ago in the forum. However, all iMod are based on the same concept so it shouldn't be that much difference on where it comes from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back