The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #1,819 of 17,484

Just got my new X3 =)

Sorry for the pics, using phone at poor lighting..

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #1,821 of 17,484
Quote:
EaseUS freeware partition master is generally a good option for reformatting cards.

+1
Just be careful as it can re-format your hard drives as well.
I've also used it for reformatting cards.

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #1,822 of 17,484
lol i'll give an initial brief comparison with the C3 in a while

... What i wrote a brief comparison in the edit and submitted and it freaking disappear! stupid thread...

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #1,824 of 17,484
There is a nice little freeware utility for that, I have posted links in the C3 thread numerous times. You load the drive, hit sort and write it back out. Less than 30 seconds all the files are sorted alphabetically, it's a really minor issue.

And I have always tagged my tracks with the track number first since day one and the first incantations of iTunes... One thing that iTunes did teach me was to be very OCD about tags... :D
If you need a link to that sort utility @cel4145 have a quick search through the C3 thread ("Drive Sort") or let me know and I'll post it for you.

Thanks much. I found your post with the link :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #1,825 of 17,484
Update 1:

Song: One Sweet Day - Mariah Carey
IEM: FI-BA-SB

Based on 20 mins of testing, the X3 was just as i expected. Warmer with extended/deeper bass compared to the C3. The vocals for the C3 is forward and seems more detailed with clarity compared to the X3, but it could be due to C3's preference in the mids and trebles. The X3's vocals is warmer in tone but there is details as well, and feels more laid back compared to the C3. If i had to describe the signature of the vocals, the C3 is forward, aggressively passionate with details and clarity while the X3 vocals is warmer/lush? detailed and sweet. Overall presentation of the song is more balanced and laid back for the X3 compared to the C3. Presentation for the C3 is more towards the strong raw power of the vocals. You get pulled in by the instruments/back drop of the X3 with the accompanying warm, sweet vocals. For the C3 you get pulled in more towards the raw emotional detailed vocals accompanied by the backdrop/instruments. Don't get me wrong, the X3 vocals can be strong when the moment calls for it, but in the C3 the vocals are frequently stronger.

As for the soundstage, the X3 seems slightly wider compared to the C3. Reason could very well be due to the extended bass in the X3. The placement in instruments for the X3 also feels wider than the C3. I noticed the drums in the X3 seems diagonally back (e.g 310 degrees) while the C3 is more back (e.g 340 degrees)

The X3 would do very well for those who likes bass in their songs. The bass in the X3 had better extension, deeper, more impact, dynamic and more profound.
The C3's bass has impact, however the rest definitely not reaching anywhere close to X3's bass standards.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,826 of 17,484
Quote:
Update 1:

Based on 20 mins of testing, the X3 was just as i expected. Warmer with extended/deeper bass compared to the C3. The vocals for the C3 is forward and seems more detailed with clarity compared to the X3, but it could be due to C3's preference in the mids and trebles. The X3's vocals is warmer in tone but there is details as well, and feels more laid back compared to the C3. If i had to describe the signature of the vocals, the C3 is forward, aggressively passionate with details and clarity while the X3 vocals is warmer/lush? detailed and sweet. Overall presentation of the song is more balanced and laid back for the X3 compared to the C3. Presentation for the C3 is more towards the strong raw power of the vocals. You get pulled in by the instruments/back drop of the X3 with the accompanying warm, sweet vocals. For the C3 you get pulled in more towards the raw emotional detailed vocals accompanied by the backdrop/instruments. Don't get me wrong, the X3 vocals can be strong when the moment calls for it, but in the C3 the vocals are frequently stronger.

As for the soundstage, the X3 seems slightly wider compared to the C3. Reason could very well be due to the extended bass in the X3. The placement in instruments for the X3 also feels wider than the C3. I noticed the drums in the X3 seems diagonally back (e.g 310 degrees) while the C3 is more back (e.g 340 degrees)

The X3 would do very well for those who likes bass in their songs. The bass in the X3 had better extension, deeper, more impact, dynamic and more profound.
The C3's bass has impact, however the rest definitely not reaching anywhere close to X3's bass standards.

Did you hook-up C3 with C&C BH amp during comparison?

Because BH will unleash the real potential of C3.

By the way can you do this comparison based on Hotel California by The Eagles 24 bits FLAC?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,827 of 17,484
Update 1:

Based on 20 mins of testing, the X3 was just as i expected. Warmer with extended/deeper bass compared to the C3. The vocals for the C3 is forward and seems more detailed with clarity compared to the X3, but it could be due to C3's preference in the mids and trebles. The X3's vocals is warmer in tone but there is details as well, and feels more laid back compared to the C3. . . .

Some of the difference could also be because the C3 is not a good impedance match for the FI-BA-SB. That could potentially be a problem with doing any comparisons with 16 ohm to 32 ohm IEMs between the C3 and the X3 since the impedance characteristics of the phones could be introducing a difference.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,828 of 17,484
Quote:
Did you hook-up C3 with BH amp during comparison?

By the way can you do this comparison once again based on Hotel California by The Eagles 24 bits FLAC?

Thanks in advance.

Also please try to hook up the BH to the X3 as well bypassing the internal amp of the X3 and report back. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,829 of 17,484
Quote:
Some of the difference could also be because the C3 is not a good impedance match for the FI-BA-SB. That could potentially be a problem with doing any comparisons with 16 ohm to 32 ohm IEMs between the C3 and the X3 since the impedance characteristics of the phones could be introducing a difference.

What is C3s output impedance?

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,830 of 17,484
Forgot to add that the songs i'm using is Flac 16bit
Quote:

Hmm could be, but to my ears the FI-BA-SB has great synergy with the C3 though.. even more so than my Nano 7g. 
I just tried with SE215 (20 ohm), and the vocals in the X3 has really come more forward compared to FI-BA-SB, but still slightly behind the C3. The bass is less pronounced and extended now, however is still slightly more compared to the C3.

Tried Enter Sandman - Metallica, and the bass is more extended and grungy in the X3 compared to the C3. 
Soundstage is wider in the X3.

Quote:
Did you hook-up C3 with BH amp during comparison?

By the way can you do this comparison once again based on Hotel California by The Eagles 24 bits FLAC?

Thanks in advance.

Nope, sorry don't have an amp to pair with C3. But without the BH, i can still say that the C3 does well in competing with the X3 considering the price difference. Just less soundstage and bass.
I don't have that song, i couldn't find a flac version of the acoustic live unplugged version which i prefer more than their album version... If you have the unplugged live you could send it to me to test =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back