The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 28, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #17,311 of 17,484
Still rocking the original pre-applied protector on mine. Not even many scratches on it. A little defect in the corner where the protector got peeled up a bit (at least I'm guessing that's what happened) but that's all. Planning to keep it this way, after the gong show I went through putting the protectors on my m2s.
Those glass ones do look nice, but unfortunately not available on the NA Amazon sites - can be got from eBay tho…

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #17,312 of 17,484
I still have 2x of the original screen protectors left, they seem to last a long time for me. Onyl thing I've replaced on my x3i is the silicone case. Mine is on the back burner as of late as I bought a zx300, but it pulls duty as my out and about "working" player stikl. It a tough little player for sure.

Jun 30, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #17,313 of 17,484
I still have 2x of the original screen protectors left, they seem to last a long time for me. Onyl thing I've replaced on my x3i is the silicone case. Mine is on the back burner as of late as I bought a zx300, but it pulls duty as my out and about "working" player stikl. It a tough little player for sure.

For some reason, when i took the pre applied cover off, it took the protector off with it. Couldn't get it back on without dust. Attempted one of the spares and failed. Had one final attempt and it was fine. But within a few months, I my x3 slid out my pocket onto my desk and there must have been some grit there or something. As the screen had a very obvious line down it that has that rainbow affect when the screen was on. So that was when i ended up buying these others. But they are so bad that fine dust particles will scratch it when it brushes against a soft surface. Anyway, I today have received my glass protector. Pretty thick so you do feel that the screen seems higher up than the surface below, but it was easy to apply as feels really tough. Seems to effect the image quality less too. And I don't think glass will scratch easily. But I don't think I will try getting a knife out and attempting to. Quite a few brands that make glass protectors claim they will withstand this. Not so sure. I'm not stupid enough to treat something so valuable like that!

Jun 30, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #17,315 of 17,484
I know the X3 has a pretty lousy outdoor visibility to begin with, but how does the extra glass protector seem outdoors? I'd have to think it'd be even more reflective…
Well, I will find out. But the problem I had with these cheap ones was the scratches. The sun made the scratches stand out more than anything ever did on the screen. One reason why I always use your bright white theme! As I always try to avoid touching the screen, it never gets finger prints on. So I expect that with a scratch free protector and a bright theme, it should be reasonable. I think this company also may do matte screen protectors for the X3 though not glass. I bought one for my Nikon S7000 camera and that greatly reduces reflection. though it makes the display look rather grainy. As the X3 display already is a bit poor, a matte protector will probably make it look terrible. But would be good enough and yes, would cut out reflection.

See? I knew I could somehow get this thread going again! I'd now better start saying how I clean the screen with a micro fibre cloth with a bit of water then wipe it dry with a dry bit of the cloth to remove water marks. No matter how dull the topic is, I hope this thread doesn't die out!

I still keep worrying what I will get if this player gives up. I just don't like the design of the newer players. Much prefer buttons to the wheel or touch sense display. I also don't like that the latest X3 is very cube like. Looks like it would be very prone to damage as the corners edges look rather sharp. The X3 has nice rounded corners and a bevelled edge. Then it baffles me why a headphone socket would be placed on the bottom. Upside down player in your pocket or a right angled adapter. A pain and inconvenience IMO. It just looks hard to find a similar design player to the original X3. I must love dated design products. I liked my old Iaudio X5L which had a basic screen and was operated mostly by a single button that you pushed up/down/left/right and pushed down to select. I just know I am in the minority for this but the reason why I don't like touch screen is because it makes such a mess of the display, I often notice the finger prints more than what is on the screen. I don't need to look at the buttons and that is why I like them this way. Out of the players FiiO still sells on some sites, it looks like the X5 and x3 2nd gen would suit me ok. At least they haven't moved to touch screen and has the headphone socket in a practical place. I just unfortunately don't like the look of any of their latest ones because of the way they have been designed.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #17,316 of 17,484
Hello! I needed to choose between a Fiio X3 MKiii, a Cayin N3 and this HiBY R3 to be used as a music transport to a Modi 3 via coaxial. Does anyone have any preference or experience which could help me choose?

May 14, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #17,317 of 17,484
Anyone knows where to purchase a battery for the original Fiio X3? Or is there a good alternative?

May 14, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #17,319 of 17,484
Jul 30, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #17,320 of 17,484
Aug 10, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #17,325 of 17,484
How did you make out? Was that the correct battery? How long did it take for you to receive it? How was installation?

So sorry for my late reaction! Yes the battery works great, really good quality. And installation is also extremely easy.
It took a few weeks when the battery arrived. I didn't test the battery life - so really curious about the test

Users who are viewing this thread

Back