The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 17, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #17,297 of 17,481
This may seem odd, but I've heard putting a small electrical device that has been dropped in water in a tub of dry rice can help a lot. I would actually put it in this for several days and leave it. If it has been submerged in water, even if it is working now, it could be temperamental later on. I think it would be worth doing this. Just a suggestion.
Being someone from Asia who eats rice normally, I've heard of this countless of times. I didn't do it because what I did instead to remove any water left is to play a video game with it and let it run warm. I played Mass Effect Andromeda with it and it was warm to the touch. No issues with sound at all while it was working. That should evaporate any water that is still inside.

If there should be something wrong with it then it would show, but as of right now as I am typing this message I'm listening to some Massive Attack with it and it's fine. Thanks anyhow.

Glad to hear there doesn't seem to be permanent damage.

Another tip is to blast EVERYTHING with WD-40 (which is hydrophobic) and leave it to completely dry. If the smell bothers you follow that up with some isopropyl alcohol.
Hmm.. Didn't know this. Makes sense. 'WD' in WD-40 does mean "Water Displacement". Should remember this next time. Thanks for the tip!

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #17,299 of 17,481
Ooh sweet memories... :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 19, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #17,303 of 17,481
An update, it seems that the water did some damage. At certain volumes, specifically at 14 and 9(yes only those values) the sound crackles, and crackles very loudly. Fortunately none of my IEMs are really usable at that level anyways. Also, on certain songs, there is some noticeable static I'm hearing when playing.

Oh well. Other than that it's fine. SD card is fine, but I haven't really checked if my line out or coax is still working but that's to be seen.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #17,304 of 17,481
Very strange thing happened with my X3 today. Charged it up last night. green light came on within a few hours as normal. Unplugged it and left it on my desk overnight. Then when I tried to turn it on on the bus today, it just wouldn't. I tried checking the hold switch. Doing the firmware update button combination. And nothing. Even when I plugged it into my portable charger, the usual FIIO screen then battery logo didn't appear. All there was was the tiny red light. I left it charging for a good 3 hours then pressed the ok button briefly and the battery charging screen came on. I then unplugged the cable, plugged it back in, and the red light went green. So then I unplugged it and managed to turn it on. Has been working fine since. What could this be?? It seemed as if it thought the battery was totally flat when it had only just been charged. Although I once had an experience where I got a slight static shock off the X3 and that seemed to cause a similar result. It was full, but after this static shock, it wouldn't turn on until I left it on charge for a few hours. Really strange. I have basically had what seems like a sudden discharge twice now. but well over a year apart and the player has gone totally back to normal after both times it happened. Though this latest time, I din't notice any static! Don't have any idea what could have caused it.

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #17,305 of 17,481
I find the charging for the X3 takes a bit of learning.

1) Use a high powered charger, like one from an IPad, which has a big battery, and charges at a faster rate.
2) Even after charging in this manner for hours, the highest my battery indicator will go is 55%.
3) Even after the light goes green, it isn't fully charged. Leave it charging for as long as you can.

I recently installed a USB charging plug in a wall socket next to my bed. It really pumps out the amps, and it charges everything quickly. It's a great luxury.
I'm glad my X3 is still running.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #17,306 of 17,481
I find the charging for the X3 takes a bit of learning.

1) Use a high powered charger, like one from an IPad, which has a big battery, and charges at a faster rate.
2) Even after charging in this manner for hours, the highest my battery indicator will go is 55%.
3) Even after the light goes green, it isn't fully charged. Leave it charging for as long as you can.

I recently installed a USB charging plug in a wall socket next to my bed. It really pumps out the amps, and it charges everything quickly. It's a great luxury.
I'm glad my X3 is still running.

I now almost always use Anker chargers. My wall charger can charge 5V at up to 2.4A. It can even do 9V at up to 2A and 12v at a max of 1.5A. My Anker portable charger (which I used the other day) can also do this as it has Quickcharge 3.0. But with my USB meter, it shows the X3 will never charge at more than 1A at 5V.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Powe...965111&sr=8-3&keywords=anker+power+bank+20000
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017KHCZPI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These both seem to be very good chargers. For example, if I recharge my power bank from the fast USB socket, it will recharge at 9v. And in one of the other sockets, will very nearly use the full 2.4A at 5V. So I know that it will give the most power it an to the X3.

I seem to be in a different situation to you. If the green light comes on on my X3, that means it is full and it almost always lasts another good 10 hours of music playing from then. But the green light often doesn't come on for ages unless I unplug the cable and plug it back in. but I still don't understand what happened with mine yesterday.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #17,307 of 17,481
Weird. My first inclination would be a bad cable or USB connector. The device should still respond if it was plugged in (IIRC the device should operate even without a battery). Its possible the charge controller (whatever they're actually called) on the battery or X3 may have glitched. Weird stuff like that happens. My database recently got so corrupted it wouldn't even acknowledge there was music on either internal or external storage beyond what was in its internal playlist (resume playing feature), which of course wouldn't play. I hadn't even changed the db or song files in ages - had to manually delete the db files (one thing I do wish Fiio had included when they were still doing fw updates - a database flush/reset).

Standard advice… reflash the firmware and hope it never happens again:wink:

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #17,309 of 17,481
You should be able to find one of these for under $100. At that price how bad could it be. I have purchased two of these, and I own two X5 first gen and one X5 third gen. It's a sweet little player with push button controls which means you can control it with a gloved hand. That is one reason I have it. (The other being it sounds swell and it's small)

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #17,310 of 17,481
Anyone remember when this thread got back into discussion when we had a page talking about screen protectors? :smile_phones:

Well, I may start that again as I seem to have been having trouble finding ones that don't scratch ridiculously easily. That was these ones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Savvies-Fi...spons&keywords=fiio+x3+screen+protector&psc=1

I have had tablets in the past with such a scratch prone screen that it makes me worry about using the X3 without one. But I've gone through all 6 of these as they get loads of find scratches on within just a few months making the screen terrible in sunlight. But I have recently noticed this brand doing some glass protectors. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DTBP...olid=3QLVGEDXOA9E0&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I already have one of this brands screen protectors on my lumix camera and it doesn't scratch at all. I really like that this company seems to make protectors for products that have been discontinued for ages. It is only recently they have started doing it for the original X3 Just thought I would share this as I think it will be really good. Will end up buying it myself as I’m fed up of the others very quickly looking terrible. Here is an example. Try to ignore the reflection!
P1010801.JPG

That has just been cleaned. Looks far worse than this in sunlight. I don't know what they make these protectors of. Nasty, nasty plastic. Maybe that is why you barely pay anything and get 6. You pay over double the price for just one with the glass one. Assume it will be better. The claim about it being 2x lighter than ordinary glass screen protectors is just silly though. 2 times less weight? Woooow i'm going to notice that difference! Maybe half a gram lighter. Or lets 2 times as much light through. Really? Not sure about that. I'm just very OCD about keeping the X3 as looking new and i don't want any potential damage to be done to the screen. So that is why i have a protector. I just want one that won't be like this one. So hopefully the glass one should be good.

Something to keep this dieing thread going! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back