The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 28, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #16,112 of 17,484
No luck ... going to check for corrupted music files.

[EDIT]. Found one that was playing at twice the speed.  But everything else was normal.  Going to see if this freezes again.  Also reset everything to factory defaults.

May 29, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #16,113 of 17,484
  Anyone having issues with their X3 constantly locking up?  I'm wondering if it is my 64 GB card formatted to FAT32 that is giving me these issues and wondering if I should just format the card to be 32 GB FAT 32?

Sorry to read you're having problems with your X3. However, I'm using a 128GB SDXC SanDisk card and have never had a moment's trounle with it. I intentionaly chose a fast card - up to 48 MB/s - and it's a class 10 one too. Possibly 'over the the top' but it's been absolutely reliable so far.

May 29, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #16,114 of 17,484

Sorry to read you're having problems with your X3. However, I'm using a 128GB SDXC SanDisk card and have never had a moment's trounle with it. I intentionaly chose a fast card - up to 48 MB/s - and it's a class 10 one too. Possibly 'over the the top' but it's been absolutely reliable so far.

Awesome to hear... I wish I wasn't having these issues.  I can't even get an hour's worth of play back time without the X3 crashing.  I'm going to try updating the firmware again and merely using the internal storage.  If the problem continues I know it's the player and I'll retire it as a desktop DAC/AMP combo as opposed to my main player.

I'm using a Class10 Kingston card.  I have an ADATA Class10 U1 card as well, but the X3 won't recognize it.

May 29, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #16,115 of 17,484
Awesome to hear... I wish I wasn't having these issues.  I can't even get an hour's worth of play back time without the X3 crashing.  I'm going to try updating the firmware again and merely using the internal storage.  If the problem continues I know it's the player and I'll retire it as a desktop DAC/AMP combo as opposed to my main player.

I'm using a Class10 Kingston card.  I have an ADATA Class10 U1 card as well, but the X3 won't recognize it.

Did you format the mSD in the X3 itself or with your computer?

May 29, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #16,116 of 17,484

I would retire the X3 back to warranty.

May 30, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #16,117 of 17,484

I would definitely recommend using the 3,34beta firmware. Even though it is a beta version, it seems to be rock solid. At one time I was experiencing problems where the music would become garbled for a few seconds. Not exactly crashing I know, but still very annoying. A combination of formatting that 128GB card in the X3, rather than via Windows, using the card and the firmware above seems to have resolved all my problems. I also copy new music over to the card. leaving it in the player and transferring the data via the USB lead. At one time I was using a card reader but I've stopped doing that now.

I hope you'll be able to resolve your problem soon.

May 30, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #16,118 of 17,484
Did you format the mSD in the X3 itself or with your computer?

Before they came out with the later firmware that support exFAT, I had to use (can't remember) some software to format the 64GB card to FAT32.  Then, when I went from 3.0 to 3.3, and had more lockups, I've formatted the card through the X3 itself.  Prior before ever updating the firmware, I either used a 32GB card (given it to a friend for his camera) and or somehow formatted my 64GB cards into FAT32 (which I don't understand why I can't do that now; maybe because I'm connected through USB; I'll have to use my SP2 as I don't have a converter on me).

I would retire the X3 back to warranty.

Is it more than a year?

I would definitely recommend using the 3,34beta firmware. Even though it is a beta version, it seems to be rock solid. At one time I was experiencing problems where the music would become garbled for a few seconds. Not exactly crashing I know, but still very annoying. A combination of formatting that 128GB card in the X3, rather than via Windows, using the card and the firmware above seems to have resolved all my problems. I also copy new music over to the card. leaving it in the player and transferring the data via the USB lead. At one time I was using a card reader but I've stopped doing that now.

I hope you'll be able to resolve your problem soon.

Now the X3 doens't even recognize the card for some reason and reverted back to 3.0 (probably why it doesn't recognize it as it's now in exFAT).  I'll look into finding a link to their downloads specific to the X3; it seems like FiiO just jumbles all their firmware updates for all their players together.

May 30, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #16,119 of 17,484
Before they came out with the later firmware that support exFAT, I had to use (can't remember) some software to format the 64GB card to FAT32.  Then, when I went from 3.0 to 3.3, and had more lockups, I've formatted the card through the X3 itself.  Prior before ever updating the firmware, I either used a 32GB card (given it to a friend for his camera) and or somehow formatted my 64GB cards into FAT32 (which I don't understand why I can't do that now; maybe because I'm connected through USB; I'll have to use my SP2 as I don't have a converter on me).

Is it more than a year?

Now the X3 doens't even recognize the card for some reason and reverted back to 3.0 (probably why it doesn't recognize it as it's now in exFAT).  I'll look into finding a link to their downloads specific to the X3; it seems like FiiO just jumbles all their firmware updates for all their players together.

The tool to format the card with the X3 itself has been included since firmware 2.05. Go to settings and select format to format your card with the X3. If it doesn't work there is something wrong with the card.

You can not update the X3 firmware using exFAT, only FAT32, which the X3 will format to. The only real benefit to exFAT is the ability to use files over 4gb but I highly doubt that is needed on the X3.

May 30, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #16,120 of 17,484
The tool to format the card with the X3 itself has been included since firmware 2.05. Go to settings and select format to format your card with the X3. If it doesn't work there is something wrong with the card.

You can not update the X3 firmware using exFAT, only FAT32, which the X3 will format to. The only real benefit to exFAT is the ability to use files over 4gb but I highly doubt that is needed on the X3.

The X3 won't recognize cards already formatted as exFAT.  Even my ADATA card isn't recognized.  It's isn't the card.

I'm going to be making a partition on the card and formatting it to FAT32 and going from there.  On the 3.3 firmware, after formatting the card, Windows would still recognize the card as exFAT.

May 30, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #16,123 of 17,484
I find all my FIIO units work best with FAT32.  I know in theory other formats are supported (but not for firmware updates).  But FAT32 just seems to be more reliable.  As noted, it is hard to find a 4gb audio file.  I suppose one could get there with DSD files but in the case of the original X3 what would be the point?  The unit downsamples the DSD files to PCM anyway.

May 30, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #16,125 of 17,484
  I find all my FIIO units work best with FAT32.  I know in theory other formats are supported (but not for firmware updates).  But FAT32 just seems to be more reliable.  As noted, it is hard to find a 4gb audio file.  I suppose one could get there with DSD files but in the case of the original X3 what would be the point?  The unit downsamples the DSD files to PCM anyway.

Just convenience.  Windows 8 does not easily allow you to take anything above 32 GB and format it to be FAT32.  All cards/drives larger then 32GB come, stock, exFAT/NFTS.  It's just convenience.

It's here in the forum. Just do a search for FW 3.34b and download it from there.

Alright, cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back