The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 30, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #16,126 of 17,484

FiiO's site is really poorly made.  This is all I can find on where to download their firmware (http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39932&extra=page%3D ).

Where do you find their beta releases?

I couldn't call it poorly made. FiiO don't want to put all of their beta firmwares on their website or all the different firmwares you have the option of getting will just look like too much. All the beta firmwares have at some point been available on this forum here from what I am aware of. Some people will want to stay with the latest official non-beta version which happens to be FW3.3 which is available on FiiO's web page and is quite easy to find.

This is the page to get 3.34b from here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742014/official-x3-firmware-thread-3-34beta-removed-5800-song-limit-play-through-folders-happy-chinese-new-year

There are also many custom themes and some of them really improve the user interface of the X3.

You can take a look through them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684793/diy-your-own-theme-for-your-lovely-x3

You will need to go towards the end of this thread to get to the custom themes of 3.34b. Only if you want to try one out though.

May 30, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #16,127 of 17,484

I couldn't call it poorly made. FiiO don't want to put all of their beta firmwares on their website or all the different firmwares you have the option of getting will just look like too much. All the beta firmwares have at some point been available on this forum here from what I am aware of. Some people will want to stay with the latest official non-beta version which happens to be FW3.3 which is available on FiiO's web page and is quite easy to find.

This is the page to get 3.34b from here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742014/official-x3-firmware-thread-3-34beta-removed-5800-song-limit-play-through-folders-happy-chinese-new-year

There are also many custom themes and some of them really improve the user interface of the X3.

You can take a look through them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684793/diy-your-own-theme-for-your-lovely-x3

You will need to go towards the end of this thread to get to the custom themes of 3.34b. Only if you want to try one out though.

I did the search as suggested.  Updated and just transferring music over.  I'm overseas with my fiance so I can't just sit down and dedicate my time to it thrououghly.  Thanks for the links, however.

Once the music is checked out, I'll see if the problems persist.  It's now on 3.34, and the card it formatted to FAT32 within windows (32 KB allocated space as well).  Hopefully things run smoothly this time when I try it out tomorrow.  We just came back from a wine tasting festival.

Thanks for the help guys.  I'll report back when I get a chance.

May 31, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #16,129 of 17,484
About a week ago, the screen protector of my X3 got a big scratch on it. I have now replaced it and it wasn't at all easy! It is good that FiiO give you 2 spares in the box in case you need more than one attempt. First time, it got covered in air bubbles even though I put it on as soon as I'd removed the old one. The next time I tried with the other supplied protector, it went on OK with just one bubble at the top right of the screen. Luckily, not actually on the display.

Something else that I have done it cover up that crack between the metal sheet where the buttons are and the screen with some electrical tape. That crack always got full of dust and it just irritated me.

It looks a bit of a mess at the edges but once my HS5 case is on, I think it looks fine. 

Something else you can just about see in the picture above it the micro SD card. I just wish it didn't stick out like it does.

With my case on, you don't see the messy edges of the tape or that bubble under the screen protector so I think it has worked out quite well.

I still could do without the card popping out what I take the case off. This will probable be less likely to happen if the X3 doesn't get as much pressure of the side of it. I will just have to try to be more careful. I once forgot that this sometimes happens and my card fell on the floor and I could have lost it.

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #16,131 of 17,484
^ looks good there, especially with the leather case on. I'm using the stacking kit with E12A and I'm considering buying the leather case and just strapping on rubber bands. If it looks better that is.

I have tried strapping the E11 to the X3 and it fits really well as the E11 is pretty much exatly the same width as the X3 with this case on. Although some people say this case feels a bit like artificial leather, I think It feels quite good. I have 2 rubber bands and one goes right at the bottom and the other can go between the buttons and the screen. It is a quite a tight fir but it feels very solid and the E11 doesn't slip around at all. Something that I notice about this case though is that the rubber feet on my E11 causes dents on my X3 case. They seem to go away after the E11 has been off it for a while though.

I think The E12a will look good with the X3 in this case. With my E11, the only thing that gts covered by one of the bands is the high/low gain switch. This doesn't bother me as when I use it, I have it on high all the time as to me, it seems to sound a little cleaner compares to when on low.

I could take a picture later of this case and the X3 with the FiiO bands. Just not with the E12a.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #16,134 of 17,484
Well, I just bought a 1st Gen. X3. I really liked the sound sig. of it, and I'm just not sure the X3ii is for me. It plays well, but I feel it doesn't have the power of the 1st one, and I miss the hardware bass/treble controls. I'll get it Monday, and do some listening with my Aurisonics 2.5s, and keep the one I like better, and send back the other. Time will tell.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #16,135 of 17,484
Well, I just bought a 1st Gen. X3. I really liked the sound sig. of it, and I'm just not sure the X3ii is for me. It plays well, but I feel it doesn't have the power of the 1st one, and I miss the hardware bass/treble controls. I'll get it Monday, and do some listening with my Aurisonics 2.5s, and keep the one I like better, and send back the other. Time will tell.

Of course, this was FiiO's greatest mistake.

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #16,136 of 17,484
Something strange I noticed about my X3 today is partly being able to see what it on the screen even when it is off. What sense does this make?

I have my backlight time as 60s and when it turned the screen off, I could still ever so slightly see what was on it. I think it has always been like this but you can only see it under very, very bright light. I could almost real what track I was on while the screen was black. Has anyone else noticed this under bright light when the X3's screen is off? I think it is the brighter images and text that show up. Black hardly shows up at all.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #16,138 of 17,484
  Something strange I noticed about my X3 today is partly being able to see what it on the screen even when it is off. What sense does this make?

I have my backlight time as 60s and when it turned the screen off, I could still ever so slightly see what was on it. I think it has always been like this but you can only see it under very, very bright light. I could almost real what track I was on while the screen was black. Has anyone else noticed this under bright light when the X3's screen is off? I think it is the brighter images and text that show up. Black hardly shows up at all.

Probably, it's turning the backlight off, but not the lcd. My ipod (rockboxed) does the same thing. Eventually the lcd should turn off too (I assume, never paid much attention, but I'll try to keep an eye on it)

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #16,139 of 17,484
Hi All,

I've recently purchased a Fiio X3 series 2 DAP. So far so good. I've one question please: I'm in the habit of leaving the DAP permanently on charge. Is this a good maintenance practice or should I adopt some better way to optimise the life of the battery.

Kind regards

mark

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #16,140 of 17,484
Hi All,

I've recently purchased a Fiio X3 series 2 DAP. So far so good. I've one question please: I'm in the habit of leaving the DAP permanently on charge. Is this a good maintenance practice or should I adopt some better way to optimise the life of the battery.

Kind regards

mark

Read this in its entirety.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Basically, no you shouldn't leave a lithium battery plugged in all the time. While lithium batteries don't have a 'memory' leaving them plugged in all the time is very stressful and leads to reduced total battery life. Think of revving your car engine constantly while in Park. The article also states that charging to 90% will prolong the overall life of lithium batteries by approximately double.

There isn't a risk of overcharging, and if you charge and use as normal it should last pretty long. I'm just saying its a bad idea to leave the battery plugged in ALL THE TIME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back