The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 14, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #15,436 of 17,484
Better driving capabilities,more transparent or changing the sound sig. And may be going to balanced option or an amp with roll able opamps ... Better integration of bass and treble boost !

The line out even sounds better through the E11 for me. Slightly cleaner treble and the E11 boosts the bass in a deeper and cleaner way too. Another advantage is that the E11 through the line out is much louder than the headphone out alone.

Is it the line out its self that is actually better? I don't see how it can be because I feel that is must be to do with whatever the amplifier you have connected to the line out. I maybe misunderstand what people mean when they say that the line out sounds better. It is really hard to describe because I have said that in what I said at the top of this post! What I mean though is what I have tried to explain.
I know that lots of X3 users use the E12 through the line out and that will sound much better an I can understand why. But is it actually because the line out has better sound than the headphone out or is it just that the E12 is very good?

You have said in your post that the line out sounds more transparent but since you will be using a different amplifier, won't it be to do with that that is improving the sound and not the X3's line out? As I said earlier, I may be misunderstanding what you actually mean.

I have sort of confused myself in this post
confused.gif
  Some people might understand what I mean.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #15,439 of 17,484

The line out even sounds better through the E11 for me. Slightly cleaner treble and the E11 boosts the bass in a deeper and cleaner way too. Another advantage is that the E11 through the line out is much louder than the headphone out alone.

Is it the line out its self that is actually better? I don't see how it can be because I feel that is must be to do with whatever the amplifier you have connected to the line out. I maybe misunderstand what people mean when they say that the line out sounds better. It is really hard to describe because I have said that in what I said at the top of this post! What I mean though is what I have tried to explain.
I know that lots of X3 users use the E12 through the line out and that will sound much better an I can understand why. But is it actually because the line out has better sound than the headphone out or is it just that the E12 is very good?

You have said in your post that the line out sounds more transparent but since you will be using a different amplifier, won't it be to do with that that is improving the sound and not the X3's line out? As I said earlier, I may be misunderstanding what you actually mean.

I have sort of confused myself in this post
confused.gif
  Some people might understand what I mean.

okay ... don't know if i fully understand what you are talking about ... but i will clear my words :
DAC section of the X3 is transparent & powerful
 AMP section is what gives the warmness and so on of the player's headphone out ...
the amp section alone ... is better than Fiio E11 amp ( not all the amplifiers of course ) ... more power ... more extension in both ends ...mare dynamic sound 
what makes E11 with X3 sounds so good and transparent is the line out power and transparency and the less warmness of the E11 ...the better implemented bass boost ... but it lakes the proper extension and sound stage and dynamics of the higher end amplifiers  ... which when paired with x3's line out will be better than both the headphone out of the player and better than it paired with E11 

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #15,441 of 17,484
Mar 14, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #15,442 of 17,484
  okay ... don't know if i fully understand what you are talking about ... but i will clear my words :
DAC section of the X3 is transparent & powerful
 AMP section is what gives the warmness and so on of the player's headphone out ...
the amp section alone ... is better than Fiio E11 amp ( not all the amplifiers of course ) ... more power ... more extension in both ends ...mare dynamic sound 
what makes E11 with X3 sounds so good and transparent is the line out power and transparency and the less warmness of the E11 ...the better implemented bass boost ... but it lakes the proper extension and sound stage and dynamics of the higher end amplifiers  ... which when paired with x3's line out will be better than both the headphone out of the player and better than it paired with E11 

When I say the E11 sounds better than the X3, this will just be my preference I think. With my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s, the E11 has more treble and yes, a less warm sound. I just much prefer the way it boosts the bass. The E11 is louder than the X3's AMP section almost everywhere I use it though. Maybe everywhere I plug it into is already quite loud. I just like having the dial and the bass boost feature of the E11.

I don't think the E11 ever ruins the sound quality from anything I have tried. It doesn't sound as good when plugged into something that already has a volume control. That is why I plug in into the line out of most things and maybe that is why it always is so loud.
As you said, maybe it is just the line out being very powerful that makes it go so well with the E11 and even better with other amps.

It is only a little difference when using the E11 compared to the headphone out of the X3 alone and since I use it as a portable player, it isn't worth having the extra bulk of the E11 just to make that little difference.

I assume the the line out of my E10 at home must be powerful too if it is pretty much the same volume with that through the E11 as the X3 is.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #15,443 of 17,484

When I say the E11 sounds better than the X3, this will just be my preference I think. With my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s, the E11 has more treble and yes, a less warm sound. I just much prefer the way it boosts the bass. The E11 is louder than the X3's AMP section almost everywhere I use it though. Maybe everywhere I plug it into is already quite loud. I just like having the dial and the bass boost feature of the E11.

I don't think the E11 ever ruins the sound quality from anything I have tried. It doesn't sound as good when plugged into something that already has a volume control. That is why I plug in into the line out of most things and maybe that is why it always is so loud.
As you said, maybe it is just the line out being very powerful that makes it go so well with the E11 and even better with other amps.

It is only a little difference when using the E11 compared to the headphone out of the X3 alone and since I use it as a portable player, it isn't worth having the extra bulk of the E11 just to make that little difference.

I assume the the line out of my E10 at home must be powerful too if it is pretty much the same volume with that through the E11 as the X3 is.

yes we all talking about the subjective and individual hearing :) .... you talk about your experience with AD700s and i am talking about mine with SE535 (mostly) and K171 mkii ( The most inefficient on ears ever !!! ) 
after all what we seek is the enjoyment with our gears 

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #15,444 of 17,484
  yes we all talking about the subjective and individual hearing :) .... you talk about your experience with AD700s and i am talking about mine with SE535 (mostly) and K171 mkii ( The most inefficient on ears ever !!! ) 
after all what we seek is the enjoyment with our gears 

Well yes! I am very happy with my E11 for many things. I will miss it when it gives up. I have never come across any amplifier that goes with my AD700s better. (only because of how well it boost the bass). It may be easy to get a better sounding amplifier to go with them but I'm not sure where I could get one that boosts the bass in the same way. To me, on bass boost 2, it sounds like +6 or 7 on the X3 but cleaner and much deeper. Was the X3 boosting it at around 100HZ or something? I think the E11 must do it deeper than that. The E11 also sounds like the X3 does with the treble on +2 only again, it sounds a little cleaner. The E11 sounds just as good as this wherever I use it. (other than my cheap tablet)
I could just be noticing this more because of my headphones. They are open backed and very detailed. I can tell such minor differences with the sound with these than any other audio devices I have heard. Their soundstage is really good. Really bright treble and spacious sound but very little bass. To me, it is there but just not that noticeable at times.

When I am travelling with the X3, I use the K550s and they go very well with the it alone and I notice little difference when using the E11 with them.

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #15,445 of 17,484
They do sound different. This is best so far better soundstage than last release which lost some compared to previous bata.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #15,447 of 17,484
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is totally the wrong place to post this-- I'm new here. 

So I recently got my X3, and for the life of me I can't figure this out. When I delete folders from my SD card, they still show up under the albums section, and even weirder, they will play. I have checked through the browse file method and on my computer; the files are deleted, but they just are not going away on the X3. I have tried updating the library. I have no idea what is going on here... can somebody please help out?

Did you perhaps store the same songs in the internal storage as well as the SD card?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 15, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #15,449 of 17,484
  Hey guys,

Sorry if this is totally the wrong place to post this-- I'm new here. 

So I recently got my X3, and for the life of me I can't figure this out. When I delete folders from my SD card, they still show up under the albums section, and even weirder, they will play. I have checked through the browse file method and on my computer; the files are deleted, but they just are not going away on the X3. I have tried updating the library. I have no idea what is going on here... can somebody please help out?

Remove your card and rescan your library to completely clear it.  Then reinsert your card and try scanning the library.  Might help.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #15,450 of 17,484
Just curious, what makes you say that?

The snobs in the non-Fiio threads do not recommend their amps and almost every headphone review out there mentions one Fiio amp in passing - as an example of something that "does not quite cut it". There´s a lot of love for Fiio out there, perhaps as much as Hifiman, but amp-wise they seem to be very entrance level and all over the place.

For example, is there a Fiio amp that drives the he-560 well? (A question close to home for me since I accidentally bought a pair - oops)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back