The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 18, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #15,466 of 17,484
So got a chance to update to 3.34 and while the artist name is finally there the tagged song title is not. It still displays the technical file name above the artist. What? Why would you eliminate a basic feature like song title tags in a firmware update?

I'm not sure why it would be doing this. It should be showing the song title above the artist name at the top of the screen. Under that is the artist name and then then under that, the format and some technical details which will be useful to some.

In your previous post, you were asking why it has the technical file name at the bottom the whole time. Again, it should be showing the track title there. It is quite likely to be something to do with the way your songs are tagged because I have never had this issue and I have had many different firmwares. The song title should show at the bottom and towards the top of the screen above the artist. For me it has been like this the whole time.

On 3.34b, maybe others to, the details and track name at the top of the screen disappear when there is album art, probably because it assumes that it will be hard to read as there will be lots of different coloured ones. With some, it won't be possible to read the information. This makes sense to me. With songs that don't have any album art, in now stays there. Like you say, the fact that the information stays there is better than it used to be.

I may not be correct about everything here but I think this is a very unusual problem. I don't think anyone else here has had it. Even though you said it was working ok on some other firmwares, I still feel it maybe something to do with the way the files have been tagged.
When you connect your X3 to your PC, are the track names that you see there like what you see on the X3? If they are, then they may need renaming. Even so, the fact that they worked on earlier firmwares is strange. If the tracks when connected to the PC are called what you expect the X3 to call them, then I can't understand what is causing this problem.

I do get issues with it saying that i have an "unknown artist" quite a lot of the time. This is to do with the way my tracks have been tagged though. For some reason when I change the format, (mp3 to ogg or similar) the artist is then known again. Strange but it doesn't really bother me.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #15,467 of 17,484
I also should ask, what does it say in the quick menu on the information page? Is it correct there?

I feel a bit silly for saying this, but to get there, do a long press on the return button when you are on the "now playing" screen. Select the song info option and see what is says there. I just thought I might suggest this as you didn't mention that you had looked here earlier.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #15,468 of 17,484
with the latest FW ... was listening to metal music for about 3 hours ... enjoying the warmness too much ... then when seeing some options i discovered that i made the bass to +5 and forgot about it !!! .... not even a hint of distortion !! no hint of that colored artificial sound that characterize software eqs !!! ... just a a full warm sound ... and the right amount of bass with shure se535 ( grey filters ) .... this is an awesome combination and now i know very well that this player will stay with me as it lasts and i wish it to last forever
beyersmile.png

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #15,469 of 17,484
Never knew about that option. When I select the info it says...

Title: Good People
Artist: Widespread Panic
as well as the proper album name

When I got back to the now playing screen it says
wsp2015-03-14s1t05
Widespread Panic

That's at the top then at the bottom it's the full filename again
wsp2015-03-14s1t05

I don't understand what the problem here is.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #15,470 of 17,484
Never knew about that option. When I select the info it says...

Title: Good People
Artist: Widespread Panic
as well as the proper album name

When I got back to the now playing screen it says
wsp2015-03-14s1t05
Widespread Panic

That's at the top then at the bottom it's the full filename again
wsp2015-03-14s1t05

I don't understand what the problem here is.

This is a bug. I have the same issue. But if you have your files have a proper naming scheme, its nothing you can't live with.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #15,471 of 17,484
  I have a question for those who use an extra amp with this player.  Please don't jump on me, I'm just curious.  With such a powerful amp section already built into the X3, what's the point of using an extra amp?  I'm very happy with the amp in the player, and can use the bass/treble controls easily, not lose them with the LO of the player, and the amp sounds great to me in the player.  So, what's the point?

exclusive LO user here. bottom line: if you prefer the player's amp (which i can totally appreciate), then by all means use it and never look back.

but to answer your question, for me it sounds better going LO every place i use my X3: headphone amp, main home stereo system, small bedroom system and car stereo (all have line level aux in jacks). i find the sound much more alive, detailed, nuanced, separated, and [all the other words people around here use to describe how one thing sounds better than another]. if you have a decent system somewhere with an aux in jack you can try it yourself and see what you think.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #15,472 of 17,484
So I´ve decided to educate myself - what is the coaxial out used for? It´s there on the top of the X3, looking all sweet and coaxial, but... what is it for?

(Coaxial - what a cool word.)

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #15,473 of 17,484
  So I´ve decided to educate myself - what is the coaxial out used for? It´s there on the top of the X3, looking all sweet and coaxial, but... what is it for?

(Coaxial - what a cool word.)

For a digital connection on device with one. It's basically a digital RCA cable.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #15,474 of 17,484
I wonder how many people use the digital Coax feature. 

My bet....80% of users do not use the DAC or the Digital Coax feature.  Of those who use the special features, I would be the DAC gets more use.

Anybody else want to throw in their opinion?

By the way I am one of the DAC feature users.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #15,475 of 17,484

My bet....80% of users do not use the DAC or the Digital Coax feature.  Of those who use the special features, I would be the DAC gets more use.

Well, you can connect to your AV receiver/Amp that has the Co-Ax IN (RCA) to use with your home stereo or to your PC that has one too.....

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #15,476 of 17,484

I would use it on my home receiver but I only have one digital coax connection and is used by DVD/Blueray player. So I just use line out.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #15,477 of 17,484
When I bought my X3 it came bundled with a dig coax cable.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPFLJS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I got the deal for $189.98

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #15,478 of 17,484

I often use Coax to Hugo.  Rarely use the DAC feature.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #15,479 of 17,484

I use the Coax very often, because I mainly use the X3 as a digital transport.
In fact, digital out (Coax or Toslink) is a "must have" feature for me.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #15,480 of 17,484
I once tried this output with my FiiO D03K DAC.

It seems a bit pointless though as it was a digital signal going to a converter that converted it to analouge. I may as well have just used the line out and just gone directly to my Pioneer stereo amplifier.

I used this cable below but it wasn't the crazy price it is here even though I got it from ebay. I got it for around £6.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOPS-3M-1-RCA-MALE-TO-MALE-DIGITAL-COAXIAL-SPDIF-AUDIO-CABLE-LEAD-/330733436744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d013fbf48

It is a good cable though. I use it with my Blu-Ray players coaxial output to the D03K converter and then I use phono cable to my amplifier.

The main difference between a digital coaxial cable and a single phono cable is the quality I think. Not that phono cable is bad. This is more like that really thick high end phono cable you can get only this is a single cable.

I can only see the feature being useful on the X3 if the cable is going directly into an amplifier that has a coaxial input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back