The Fiio X3 Thread.
Feb 2, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #15,076 of 17,484
  playing the fiio via LO extends it's battery to 16 horus, but why?, if it's supposed Line-out is well d'oh line-evel like 2v or closer to it, so volume is pumped at max, so by logic more volume, more power draw so less battery.

Beside what have been said (which the headphone amp disables itself when line-out is used), you need to understand what is actually happening on the headphone-out - it is "driving" the headphone, both voltage and current wise (*power = voltage x current). On line-out, because of the high input impedance of the portable amp, it almost doesn't suck up any current, and X3 itself turns into almost a pure voltage source. This means the line-out isn't actually "driving" the portable amp, and that saves a lot of power on the X3.

So the x3 isn't powerful enough on its own to drive headphones? It seems redundant to add an amp to something designed for portability. I wouldn't want an x3 unless it could drive most headphones on its own.

It is more than powerful, but there is always something better out there compared to the headphone amp section built into X3. Also, the definition of portability can be different from person to person.

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #15,078 of 17,484
So the x3 isn't powerful enough on its own to drive headphones? It seems redundant to add an amp to something designed for portability. I wouldn't want an x3 unless it could drive most headphones on its own.

You must forgive me if I misled you.  I was not saying the X3 isn't powerful enough, just to my ears it is a cleaner sound.  Bass is punchier and treble is livelier.  Further apologies for not having the audiophile words to describe the difference.  I prefer the LO and E12 for all my headphones.  My IEMs usually only get the X3 itself as that combination is more powerful.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #15,079 of 17,484
  First off, I want to say the fact that FiiO responds to all my silly questions and requests is amazing and awesome. But I recently asked them about the X3 display and I'm a little bummed by the answer. What do you guys think of this design issue? (see below)

Me:

. . . I have one other request: make the cover art display in a square space at the top with a solid black bar at the bottom for song title and the time elapse graphic. I have two issues with this current display:

1. The sides of the image get cut off (as I'm sure you are already aware).
2. The semi transparent part at the bottom makes it hard to see the both cover image and song info in most color themes. So it serves neither purpose well. Again, I think an opaque black area at the bottom would be much better.

Thank you again,
Brian

FiiO CS:

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO!

1.Yes, we must cut the image to make it suitable to the screen. If not, some images will seen very strange. We have to cut it.
2. But some people like to see all the image. If we make the bleak area, other people we will complain about it. It is hard to meet all people's need. I think the semi transparent part is a compromise.

That response doesn't really make sense to me either. The way the original firmware worked, the album art was displayed at 240x in the area between the topbar and the bottom bar. Nothing was cropped/scaled out of proportion. Now it seems that the art is displayed from the topbar fully to the bottom of the screen. This means that the sides are getting cropped, and the bottom of the image is obscured by the semi transparent bottom bar. How this is preferable to the original method is beyond me.
confused.gif

Speaking of artwork....All my music does have artwork attached, just wondering if you don't have artwork, does the alt. graphic display properly (no cropping)? 

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #15,080 of 17,484

Currently I am able to run HD 650 (with latest firmware on X3 which is a key) with X3 without any issues. I cannot keep the sound more than 80 out of 120 volume with high gain settings. Hope this helps.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #15,082 of 17,484
One question please:

Is it important not to have mixed file types in the microSD card in order for the X3 to function properly? Or it doesn’t matter at all if you have both FLAC and MP3 files in the card?

Thanks in advance 
normal_smile%20.gif

Doesn't matter. Throw them all in the party. The only thing is you may notice a slight gap when the player changes decoders for different formats. Not really an issue unless you have different formats within the same album (highly unlikely).

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #15,083 of 17,484
Doesn't matter. Throw them all in the party. The only thing is you may notice a slight gap when the player changes decoders for different formats. Not really an issue unless you have different formats within the same album (highly unlikely).

What, you don't have the mp3's downloaded through limewire? :wink:

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #15,084 of 17,484
What, you don't have the mp3's downloaded through limewire?
wink.gif

Most of my FLAC music came this way
biggrin.gif
 hehe, only 10% of my lib is legal (CDs & digital FLAC downloads), some tracks with nasty bad rip noises that i had to purchase those bad tracks and i noted it always happens at the end of the discs

make sure to use a sepectrum analyzer like spek to bust fake flacs

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #15,087 of 17,484
There is a lot of choice in 24 bit and high resolution. I have lots. But it is the master quality that is more important. But try the latest "Leonard Cohen" album.   Regular flac sounds very good, but the High res of this one,  is really out of this world so much attack and depth.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #15,088 of 17,484
  I have mainly 320kbps Mp3s, some Oggs and flaccs too. I only have 1 double album of 24bit flacs so far though.

I mainly have aac at256kbps from the itunes store. I feel kinda tied to itunes still eventhough I don't own anything Apple anymore. But the thing is I can't tell the difference between the itunes standard and my flac cd rips. I thought I could at one time but now Im certain I cant distinguish between the two.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #15,090 of 17,484
It looks like the X3 HS5 case is out of stock in many places. Maybe because the X3k may be on sale soon. I may as well get a spare case as I have the leather flip case and it is very thin and doesn't feel like it will protect it that well. The HS5 looks very thick.
Lots of reviews however say it is very poorly made. I know is is glued, not stitched together but is that really a problem? Could people who have had this case say they they feel it will last?
I don't like the look of the design of the tuff-luv case. I always like to be able to see the screen and it looks like when you put your headphones through the cut holes in the case, you will have to take them out whenever you want to fold the flap to the other side to view the screen. I could be wrong though. I also like my micro SD card slot to be covered at all times when the X3 is in use. It looks to be open on this case. That is why I prefer the look of the HS5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back