The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 30, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #15,047 of 17,484
  Hey everyone I'm new to the forum. Glad to meet you all! 

I'm getting the Fiio X3 and was wondering what would be a good IEM to start with? I have to stay under $60.00, I know this may sound like a low budget for IEM's concerting the player, but hey I have to start somewhere... and at least I'm getting the player. Well anyhow, I have Sennheiser HD449 over ear that I just got (using them with my computer and a cheap dac), and I'm really liking them! I like a natural sound, not a lot of overemphasis on the sound. Any suggestions on IEM would be great! I am looking at the Brainwavz m2 right now, but don't know? Thanks in advance! 

i'd post this in the Help and Recommendations area. and consider doing some reading of existing threads there first so you can ask more pointed questions.

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #15,051 of 17,484

Ahh.... the secret is you listen with your ears and not your eyes :wink:

When you have a screen, you can estimate a worst case performance when you are looking for a certain file. Without it, you are somewhat clueless. Unless of course you already know how many times to hit the "Prev" or "Next" button to get to your destination. Also, remembering the hit counts for multiple tracks becomes an issue. Things get worse as the number of files increase.
But then, the Shozy Alien is pretty damn good. So, to hell with logic.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #15,052 of 17,484
On a serious note, I was someone who used a screened device before moving to the Shozy, so i do recognise the issue of screenless. However I believe the success (ie happiness derived from the player) lies with how you choose to handle portable music on the go.
I'm not carrying 64-128gb worth of music on me at all times, I instead have to choose in the morning what tickles my fancy for that day, and then load up the sd card. So far I haven't really went past 250 files on the device, in a shuffled nature, and tbh I'm happy as larry doing that. Others drag entire albums on etc, whatever. But at the end of the day I'm no longer questioning whether I can attain better sound than this, I know and feel as tho what i'm hearing is the pinnacle of 'on the go' audio. Audio pleasure 100%, can you say the same? Does anything else really matter?

Besides, when u get screened DAPs they don't solve every problem. More bugs, more gripes, more frustration, no screened DAP is perfect either. It's been a fascinating revelation to go screenless, i feel free!!

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #15,053 of 17,484
Well, after extensive testing over the last couple days, I'm here to say that my X3 has been rendered secondary in my collection.  The Sony Xperia Z3Compact that I purchased, using the Walkman app of all things, does exactly what I want it to, and I just like the sound it produces.  Sure, it may not get as loud as the X3, but the bass is satisfying, and the treble works with my MEElectric M-Duo's quite nicely.  I'm happy with my new purchase, and am letting go of the X3.  It's in the classifieds if anyone is interested.  

On a pleasant note, I must say that this group of individuals has answered a lot of questions for me regarding the use of the X3 in the time I've had it.  You've been courteous, and downright the most helpful group of people I've had the pleasure of interacting with.  Thanks for all your help, and best of luck in the future.

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #15,054 of 17,484
  Well, after extensive testing over the last couple days, I'm here to say that my X3 has been rendered secondary in my collection.  The Sony Xperia Z3Compact that I purchased, using the Walkman app of all things, does exactly what I want it to, and I just like the sound it produces.  Sure, it may not get as loud as the X3, but the bass is satisfying, and the treble works with my MEElectric M-Duo's quite nicely.  I'm happy with my new purchase, and am letting go of the X3.  It's in the classifieds if anyone is interested.  

On a pleasant note, I must say that this group of individuals has answered a lot of questions for me regarding the use of the X3 in the time I've had it.  You've been courteous, and downright the most helpful group of people I've had the pleasure of interacting with.  Thanks for all your help, and best of luck in the future.

It is all very personal. Sound can be rendered, in so many ways, with different combinations, different gear. I listen less with headphones, so acoustics is another element. I cannot judge for the ACTUAL son's, but I would not let go my X3 for what I heard from Sony in the past, thin sound, and less musicality.  As a music player using, using headphones, without being perfect the X3 delivers for musicality. as I not want anything else as portable player, I can understand maybe your decision.

I am still comparing it as a Dac against the M2 tech.  Weird how things can sound so different! I have an older Accuphase cd player, Oppo 93, and then the computer, which I prefer to use with Jriver and Gizzmo., so convenient to just choose from your tablet.  The Accuphase is weird enough, not very detailed, never have the impression to hear the mix, but is sounds very analog, maybe even too much and boring. But rhythm is very good. The Oppo is just a compromise. never sounding aggressive, layed back, if nothing is really wrong, it not stand out for anything either.Using the computer, I, only tried the FIIoo and now the headface. they have one thing in common, they have a lack of weight, presence in the lower channel. And that is also their only shortcoming. Don't know if that has to do with the Usb connection.  Here again the Fiio stand on with his musicality. I said it before a bit above, but even on B&W 800 D this shows. Transparent,, never tiring, very pleasant sound, a joy to listen to. The M2tech does like the sony  probably one thing better. It is very precise, also transparent, and not aggressive. I hear details in mix , I not hear  in any of the other devices. But also rhythm is the best. Although it is lovely to hear what the producer has done in the studio,as there is a lack of weight, and I have the impression that upper mids are also demanding a bit too much attention. But placement in the room is really better then with the Fioo. But this one cannot be beaten by musicality, the music sings.

So basically, it is a choice, also with headphones The FIIO is already also very transparent, that is why it get away, with the bit warm sound. I have listened to so much live music, amplified.  The M 2 tech, would be perfect with just a bit musicality and warmth of the Fiio, and the latter would be a perfect, with a bit more detail in the lower highs. But do some people understand that even personal taste,, what an incredible quality we are getting for the bucks these last years?  I cannot understand people saying that one of these devices are "rubbish". I think that the FIIo is a nice looking player. I don't care of there is a wheel, or bottoms, or that the cover is not rendered perfectly, or "thank God " it not has a touchscreen.I can select my music, put on play an then forget about it, put in my pocket and listen to wonderful music.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #15,056 of 17,484
... I think that the FIIo is a nice looking player. I don't care of there is a wheel, or bottoms, or that the cover is not rendered perfectly, or "thank God " it not has a touchscreen.I can select my music, put on play an then forget about it, put in my pocket and listen to wonderful music.....
smily_headphones1.gif

That sums it up for me too.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #15,057 of 17,484
Fiio x3 is a GOOD MATCH for the XBA-H3´s but the walkman A17 ughhh, they sound muddy, i have them abandoned for a while, grabbed them to listen to the Alban Berg Quartett Beethoven's complete quartets, they rendered those  with boomy bass, ended switching to my MDR-1R

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #15,058 of 17,484

I have an Xperia E1, it was a little experiment, a cheap purchase to experience the Sony sound (and Clear Bass etc). I rooted my E1 and changed the volume in the mixer_paths file, set them to maximum, now the E1 is PLENTY loud. If yer happy with the sound quality but are lacking in volume, might i suggest the same and seek out a good root for the Z3compact?

Good points on the Shozy Alien @Bruce Banner. I've read others who have much the same opinion. Gives me something to consider...

Well... I'm hearing people all the time on Shozy forum putting their X3's and X5's to the Classified section. Now i don't own a Fiio X3 or X5 (I do own Fiio products tho), no hate here, only you can decide whether or not you really need that screen on the go or not, in the end they are different products. But I have yet to hear of ONE owner of a X3 or X5 who also has an Alien to actually say the X's are better than the Shozy...
If actually hearing your music to the best of it's ability is your first priority... I doubt you can do better than a Shozy (especially when you consider its price point!).

I have learned to use Winamp as my 'screen' for the Alien, choose what I want that morning and load it all up, then i just hit play... with the occasional skip of a song here or there. Done. Audio bliss...

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #15,059 of 17,484
  On a serious note, I was someone who used a screened device before moving to the Shozy, so i do recognise the issue of screenless. However I believe the success (ie happiness derived from the player) lies with how you choose to handle portable music on the go.
I'm not carrying 64-128gb worth of music on me at all times, I instead have to choose in the morning what tickles my fancy for that day, and then load up the sd card. So far I haven't really went past 250 files on the device, in a shuffled nature, and tbh I'm happy as larry doing that. Others drag entire albums on etc, whatever. But at the end of the day I'm no longer questioning whether I can attain better sound than this, I know and feel as tho what i'm hearing is the pinnacle of 'on the go' audio. Audio pleasure 100%, can you say the same? Does anything else really matter?

Besides, when u get screened DAPs they don't solve every problem. More bugs, more gripes, more frustration, no screened DAP is perfect either. It's been a fascinating revelation to go screenless, i feel free!!

I personally have no idea which songs I'll want to hear at 4pm when I leave the house at 8 am. I need to have 128GB and browsability personally.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #15,060 of 17,484

I personally have no idea which songs I'll want to hear at 4pm when I leave the house at 8 am. I need to have 128GB and browsability personally.

Yep... so those times it is pretty important to have a screen. Like i said it depends on the user. Most mornings I leave the house early and will be listening to music for the next 4-6hrs till midday, i'll know first thing in the morning what kinda mood im in and what i want to hear that morning. It takes 5mins to setup and I busy myself around the house till its done. Then i'm off. But for folk like yerself who are maybe away from computer or what not, commuting home, fancy listening to this or that but it's gonna be too hard a chore to find it... then yeh... this is not that kinda device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back