The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 28, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #14,986 of 17,484
I think when I need a new battery I'll contact Fiio because I remember reading awhile ago someone had posted on here that they sold replacement batteries for the X3 and provided instructions too so talking to them would probably be my best bet.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #14,987 of 17,484
1.  Yes, as someone said above that setting is in there: [Play Settings] > [Resume Mode] > toggle [Off] [Last song] [Last position]

**And a very important tip: use the X3's Line Out (bottom jack) for use with any Aux In jack (car, home stereo, or any other external amp) -- it's very noticeably better SQ than the headphone jack imho.

2. Sorry, I can't answer this for you. (assuming you mean more than 2 channel stereo)

There have been a lot of reports of distortion when using X3's LO with car stereo due to car stereos being designed for weaker aux-in from iPods. If you do, just switch to HO and push the volume up.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #14,989 of 17,484
So many people seem to think that the line out is better than the headphone out on the X3. Isn't it all to do with how good the amplifier is that you connected to the line out? If it is something like the E12, I can understand why it would sound better. Even my E11 connected through the line out of the X3 sounds a little better than the headphone out but I think that is just because I like the sound of the E11. I never plug any amplifier into the X3't headphone out as I don't see the point of having two different volume controls. For me, that just seems to mess the sound up.
It is the same story with my FiiO E10. The headphone out of that sounds very similar to the X3. When I plug my E11 into the line out, I think that sounds better. I don't think it is to do with the fact that it is the line out, It is just that I like the sound of my E11 more.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #14,990 of 17,484
So many people seem to think that the line out is better than the headphone out on the X3. Isn't it all to do with how good the amplifier is that you connect to the line out? If it is something like the E12, I can understand why it would sound better. Even my E11 connecten through the line out of the X3 sounds a little betterthan the headphone out but I think that is just because I like the sound of the E11. I never plug any amplifier into the X3't headphone out as I dont see the point of having two different volume controls. For me, that just seems to mess the sound up.
It is the same story with my FiiO E10. The headphone out of that sounds very similar to the X3. When I plug my E11 into the line out, I think that sounds better. I dont think it is to do with the fact that it is the line out, It is just that I like the sound of my E11 more.

yes, you're right. i suppose i should qualify my opinion in that regard when i say this. the amp in question must be better than what's inside the X3 for sure. but in my case it was true for everything i have plugged the X3 into, including portable HP amps, home stereo system, small bedroom system (Yamaha CRX-332) and car stereo (factory std 2010 Toyota).

the X3 standalone does sound great but to my ear not any better than, say, my Zune players. different, but not better. so imo the magic of the X3 is revealed with the LO. again, just imo.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #14,991 of 17,484
I definitely find the LO to be less warm then the HO. Iirc the HO and the LO uses different op amps so slightly different sound from them would be highly likely.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #14,992 of 17,484
Yeah, I will. Just ordered a AD8620 as well so will try to change the op amp at the same time. I wouldn't mind a less warm sound from the HO.
Thank you, I'll e-mail them.

Hey. I checked with Fiio last autumn about replacement batteries. They said they could send me one for ~$15. Way cheaper than sending back to China for repair. They also sent a set of instructions, I'll pm it to you if you want to have a look.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #14,993 of 17,484
So guys, I bought a new phone.  It's the Sony Xperia Z3Compact, and I'm going to compare the Walkman app to the Fiio X3.  I know I won't have the power behind the headphones, but my IEM's are 16ohm, so very easy to drive, and I'm interested in the sound options of the Walkman app.  I'm assuming I'll keep the X3 because of the bass/treble control, but I will see if I can get comparable sound out of the phone.  I may be looking at selling the X3 and buying the E18 Kunlun Android DAC/Amp for the phone instead.  I won't get the phone for a few days, but I'm already looking forward to the shoot-out.  I'm not trying to say that the X3 is inferior to Sony, but I'm looking at all my options, and this new phone looks really great!

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #14,994 of 17,484
Hey. I checked with Fiio last autumn about replacement batteries. They said they could send me one for ~$15. Way cheaper than sending back to China for repair. They also sent a set of instructions, I'll pm it to you if you want to have a look.

Perfect, thanks. I've already sent them an e-mail, I'll contact you if I don't get what I need.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #14,995 of 17,484
So guys, I bought a new phone.  It's the Sony Xperia Z3Compact, and I'm going to compare the Walkman app to the Fiio X3.  I know I won't have the power behind the headphones, but my IEM's are 16ohm, so very easy to drive, and I'm interested in the sound options of the Walkman app.  I'm assuming I'll keep the X3 because of the bass/treble control, but I will see if I can get comparable sound out of the phone.  I may be looking at selling the X3 and buying the E18 Kunlun Android DAC/Amp for the phone instead.  I won't get the phone for a few days, but I'm already looking forward to the shoot-out.  I'm not trying to say that the X3 is inferior to Sony, but I'm looking at all my options, and this new phone looks really great!

I did also do a comparison with the X3, M7 and z3c it's in the Z3Compact thread if you're interested. A word of advice is touse a better palyer app than the Walkman alternative.

Please let me know where you post it since I'm curious to read it :)

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #14,996 of 17,484
First off, I want to say the fact that FiiO responds to all my silly questions and requests is amazing and awesome. But I recently asked them about the X3 display and I'm a little bummed by the answer. What do you guys think of this design issue? (see below)

Me:

. . . I have one other request: make the cover art display in a square space at the top with a solid black bar at the bottom for song title and the time elapse graphic. I have two issues with this current display:

1. The sides of the image get cut off (as I'm sure you are already aware).
2. The semi transparent part at the bottom makes it hard to see the both cover image and song info in most color themes. So it serves neither purpose well. Again, I think an opaque black area at the bottom would be much better.

Thank you again,
Brian

FiiO CS:

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO!

1.Yes, we must cut the image to make it suitable to the screen. If not, some images will seen very strange. We have to cut it.
2. But some people like to see all the image. If we make the bleak area, other people we will complain about it. It is hard to meet all people's need. I think the semi transparent part is a compromise.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #14,997 of 17,484
I did also do a comparison with the X3, M7 and z3c it's in the Z3Compact thread if you're interested. A word of advice is touse a better palyer app than the Walkman alternative.

Please let me know where you post it since I'm curious to read it :)

I will. I have purchased PowerAmp, to work on an old Samsung too. Maybe I'll re download it, and compare that too. Off to read your comparo thread.

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #14,999 of 17,484

Users who are viewing this thread

Back