The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Feb 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #3,406 of 3,613
The Cowon J3's issue is a file limit. The X3 doesn't have a file limit. And we'll get a verifiable card size limit if & when the larger sized SDXC cards become available. Remember, FiiO can't confirm they'll work if they don't exist ATM.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #3,408 of 3,613
Quote:
The Cowon J3's issue is a file limit. The X3 doesn't have a file limit. And we'll get a verifiable card size limit if & when the larger sized SDXC cards become available. Remember, FiiO can't confirm they'll work if they don't exist ATM.

My point was, the SDXC standard (and cards up to 64gb in micro, and 256GB in CF) exists, so either the X3 will conform to the standard, or it won't.  SDHC is (confirmed) good up to 32GB... after that, it's anybodies guess if a larger capacity SDXC card will work.  So, is the X3 built to conform to SDHC or SDXC standards?  If it's the latter, then it should (in theory) be able to accept cards up to the theoretical 2TB limit.

Why build a new device in this day and age that would not at least conform to the most current standard that exists?

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #3,409 of 3,613
Quote:
My point was, the SDXC standard (and cards up to 64gb in micro, and 256GB in CF) exists, so either the X3 will conform to the standard, or it won't.  SDHC is (confirmed) good up to 32GB... after that, it's anybodies guess if a larger capacity SDXC card will work.  So, is the X3 built to conform to SDHC or SDXC standards?  If it's the latter, then it should (in theory) be able to accept cards up to the theoretical 2TB limit.

Why build a new device in this day and age that would not at least conform to the most current standard that exists?

I think the confusion with some manufacturers is that the current batch of sdxc cards aren't utilizing the new hardware configuration yet. When they do 99%, of the available "compatible" devices will no longer work with the sdxc cards. Then it'll all hit the fan. Until that occurs all sdxc cards will work when formatted correctly. I do understand why you'd like conformation tho,...future proofing!!! 
L3000.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #3,410 of 3,613
It isn't as simple as SDHC vs. SDXC - to make the transition from SDHC into SDXC easier, the SD association puts out some intermediate level within the SDXC standard. The current 'low speed' SDXC standard is meant to be pins and power compatible to the SDHC standard, by actually running at lower speed (the SDHC speed instead of full SDXC speed) which makes it less power demanding. That is why most up-to-date SDHC controller can read and write SDXC card - at least under 128GB should theoretically work in most case - but there is no guarantee. The real SDXC card (which is not common beside some concept products), the one that supports up 2TB in full speed, will need an extra power pin on the card and it will not be compatible to current SDHC reader and even some of the current SDXC reader that doesn't have that extra pins.

It is kind of a confusing era for SD standard, but it is mainly because of SD association trying to sell more cards before making the current SDHC products obsolete.

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #3,412 of 3,613
Quote:
It isn't as simple as SDHC vs. SDXC - to make the transition from SDHC into SDXC easier, the SD association puts out some intermediate level within the SDXC standard. The current 'low speed' SDXC standard is meant to be pins and power compatible to the SDHC standard, by actually running at lower speed (the SDHC speed instead of full SDXC speed) which makes it less power demanding. That is why most up-to-date SDHC controller can read and write SDXC card - at least under 128GB should theoretically work in most case - but there is no guarantee. The real SDXC card (which is not common beside some concept products), the one that supports up 2TB in full speed, will need an extra power pin on the card and it will not be compatible to current SDHC reader and even some of the current SDXC reader that doesn't have that extra pins.

It is kind of a confusing era for SD standard, but it is mainly because of SD association trying to sell more cards before making the current SDHC products obsolete.

Thank you for that enlightening bit of info.  This explains quite a lot (and is par for the course for some companies trying to turn a profit by conning consumers into thinking we're getting the next generation devices).

So, I guess this means we should never expect to see the intermediate level cards in capacities higher than 64GB?  I mean, what would be the point of pushing that development further, rather than transitioning to the true SDXC standard?

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,413 of 3,613
Quote:
So, I guess this means we should never expect to see the intermediate level cards in capacities higher than 64GB?  I mean, what would be the point of pushing that development further, rather than transitioning to the true SDXC standard?

True SDXC gears are still very few and far between, mainly as concept gear or ask for over-the-top price. SD Association is concerned that the rushing of SDXC standard will destroy the current SDHC market, which is already dominating the removable memory world. Of course, they also want to protect their members who already have spent billions on SDHC product development. That's why they come out of the low speed SDXC to tie everything over, as it is still relatively easy just to change the firmware of the old SDHC reader to make it compatible to low speed SDXC (which is what most SDXC reader in the market are right now). I guess you can also say that the last few years of poor global economy also hold back the SDXC standard as most manufacturers are trying to play it safe with the old standard rather than investing into the new standard. The rapid development (and price dropping) of SSD and cloud storage also are not helping.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #3,415 of 3,613
Quote:
Any idea what kind of DAC chip is used in X3?
Does X3 support 64GB micro SD card?
What is the anticipated sound quality in X3? Will it sound better than Colorfly C3 ?

FiiO has used mostly Wolfson chips, so I'll expect it will be a Wolfson in X3 as well, likely WM8740.

64GB should be supported, but we will have to wait till the final products to be sure.

Amp section should be close to that of E17 as announced before. I have no idea on how C3 sounds and can't give you any estimate.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #3,416 of 3,613
Any idea what kind of DAC chip is used in X3?
Does X3 support 64GB micro SD card?
What is the anticipated sound quality in X3? Will it sound better than Colorfly C3 ?

F, DAC, one WM8740, not so perfect, but still very good to an DAP which designed for audiophile, we notice that SONY, iRiver also used WM8740 in their new portable DAC/AMP and DAP.

H, AMP section change from TPA6130A to AD8397 which used in our ALPEN ( E17 ), I think most of our fans already know how good it will be in sound quality.

The E17 uses the same DAC chip and the same amp section introduced in this new DAP. We still don't know if it will sound as "bassy" as our beloved E17. :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #3,417 of 3,613
Quote:

FiiO has used mostly Wolfson chips, so I'll expect it will be a Wolfson in X3 as well, likely WM8740.

64GB should be supported, but we will have to wait till the final products to be sure.

Amp section should be close to that of E17 as announced before. I have no idea on how C3 sounds and can't give you any estimate.

WM8740, and support 64GTF card but it should be format to FAT32.  and As I known ,t he Colorfly C3 has not individual DAC chip. the DAC is integrated in the Soc.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 6, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #3,418 of 3,613
Quote:

WM8740, and support 64GTF card but it should be format to FAT32.  and As I known ,t he Colorfly C3 has not individual DAC chip. the DAC is integrated in the Soc.

Wolfson WM8740 DAC audio chip is very welcome!
The question here is how well can Fiio unleash the real potential of Wolfson WM8740 in X3?
My expectation on X3 is at least must be way better than C3 in term of sound quality but at affordable price.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #3,419 of 3,613
Does anyone know when will Fiio X3 to be released to market?
I checked back the 1st thread about Fiio X3 was way back December 2010. 
It means more than 2 years has passed but Fiio X3 is still under "product development" ????

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #3,420 of 3,613
Does anyone know when will Fiio X3 to be released to market?
I checked back the 1st thread about Fiio X3 was way back December 2010. 
It means more than 2 years has passed but Fiio X3 is still under "product development" ????

The product was put on hold for quiet a while and I think someone mentioned end of march as a possible releasedate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back