The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Jan 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #3,377 of 3,613
Jan 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #3,378 of 3,613
I guess i'm to late, but I can help proof read the manual, it may help that I understand the technical lingo quite well to begin with. I have helped with the translation of several DIY product manuals.

ahh its not very technical, you should be fine, though I do think the edits still need some work.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3,379 of 3,613
Looked at the first page and saw that the X3 will support microSD Cards in addition to the 8GB Internal Storage.

But is there a maximum storage size for the microSD Cards?

I'm hoping to pick up a X3 and get a 64GB microSD Card for 72GB of total storage (less after formatting).

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #3,380 of 3,613
If it is SDHC, then the official spec only supports up to 32GB. However, there are known slower speed SDXC card that can be used on SDHC port for up to 128GB. If it is SDXC however, the spec supports up to 2TB.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #3,382 of 3,613
They seem to be at a point where they start to care about minor stuff like translating their UI.
I think that's a good sign.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #3,383 of 3,613
I hope UI will be smooth and bug free...I'm really excited when I read that X3 has internal components similar to E17....

I miss my E17 signature as E17's DAC is not working now but I hope X3 will compensate that for me.... 

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #3,384 of 3,613
I'm surprised that fiio don't appear to have a lot of control over the firmware. If I was in charge I'd open source the software and make sure people like the rockbox guys can easily implement their own software on the device. Open and free as in freedom type software makes things painless for everyone IMO. Then again I'm a linux fanboy :p

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #3,385 of 3,613
Quote:
I'm surprised that fiio don't appear to have a lot of control over the firmware. If I was in charge I'd open source the software and make sure people like the rockbox guys can easily implement their own software on the device. Open and free as in freedom type software makes things painless for everyone IMO. Then again I'm a linux fanboy
tongue.gif

Maybe they don't like the idea of somebody not using their UI, a matter of pride or something...I don't know why they went that route either - heck, they probably could have hired RB to do the firmware - imagine that!

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #3,386 of 3,613
Maybe they don't like the idea of somebody not using their UI, a matter of pride or something...I don't know why they went that route either - heck, they probably could have hired RB to do the firmware - imagine that!

If you ask me, open source = free work. The world will never run out of people that do things because they like to. Since FiiO asked the company to develop something for them, they should own all the rights to the software, so maybe in the future we will see open sourced software. Give FiiO's track record they are very likely going do something nice like this for the community

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3,387 of 3,613
I think you mean open code and neither Sansa or Apple don't do that either. Rockbox is not modifying their code but writing a new one instead. They likely do need a base code from the SOC manufacturer and that may be available here as well. I personally am not that into open code and think a manufacturer that writes their own FW should stay in control of it but alternate FWs like Rockbox is always a viable option. Think of customers bricking a player by changing a few lines of code or 2nd owners not knowing exactly what they're getting. The manufacturers code should stay what it is and if you want to boot to try and boot to something else, that's a different story.

If you mean this SOC maker isn't showing any code to anybody, I agree.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #3,388 of 3,613
Quote:
I think you mean open code and neither Sansa or Apple don't do that either. Rockbox is not modifying their code but writing a new one instead. They likely do need a base code from the SOC manufacturer and that may be available here as well. I personally am not that into open code and think a manufacturer that writes their own FW should stay in control of it but alternate FWs like Rockbox is always a viable option. Think of customers bricking a player by changing a few lines of code or 2nd owners not knowing exactly what they're getting. The manufacturers code should stay what it is and if you want to boot to try and boot to something else, that's a different story.

If you mean this SOC maker isn't showing any code to anybody, I agree.
bigsmile_face.gif

I was specifically talking about open source, with the source code it's much easier to modify the software, so users will be able to plenty of fancy things like creating their own UIs and etc.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #3,389 of 3,613
I'm surprised that fiio don't appear to have a lot of control over the firmware. 

Its rare that anyone does.  Developing your own firmware is enormously expensive and requires a lot of time.  Pretty much only Apple, Google, etc can afford that.  People who sell tens of millions of units.  Everyone else licenses it.

For example, when Apple launched the iPod, they bought a software company that made an embedded OS for media players.  Even then, large parts of their binaries where licensed from other vendors.  

Quote:
I think you mean open code and neither Sansa or Apple don't do that either. Rockbox is not modifying their code but writing a new one instead. They likely do need a base code from the SOC manufacturer and that may be available here as well.

No, we don't use any code from the manufacturer.  They generally don't provide it unless the device has a linux port, and its fairly rare for low power MP3 player chipsets to have a real linux port, although a few are starting to get them.

Think of customers bricking a player by changing a few lines of code or 2nd owners not knowing exactly what they're getting. The manufacturers code should stay what it is and if you want to boot to try and boot to something else, that's a different story.

Ideally everyone would do like Apple does and put a USB bootloader in ROM somewhere, so that if you screw up the code you can just reboot and restore with iTunes.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #3,390 of 3,613
Now that I've read the last several posts about firmware and source codes, I am absolutely sure that I don't know anything about this stuff. Carry on, gents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back