The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Dec 18, 2010 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3,613

Ishcabible

Headphoneus Supremus
Rule 1 of this thread: Unless you're feiao, only talk about the X3, not how you wish it was different, because it won't be different.

Anyway, thanks for everyone in here that you guys still interested in our X3, since the project is still under developing, I really hope the same story happen again. but I don't want our users misunderstand us. so below maybe something you will interested.

1, When we will release our X3? Around June 2013.

2, M.S.R.P, almost the same as before although the cost increase a lots, we feel very sorry to our fans so we decide not to increase the price too much , the target M.S.R.P in U.S is about $150 ~ $180,  20% higher in Europe because the VAT is different.

3, Some modification between the original design.

A, Small changes in the appearance, includes a [size=small]aluminum cover on the front panel,  and small changes on the back panel.[/size]

B, The screen size changed from 2.2" 220*176 to 2.4" 320*240 TFT, it is not a great TFT displayer cause hard to purchase the best TFT from Samsung or Sharp , as you know, they always ask a very huge purchase order.

C, The 18 pins dock is removed so X3 can't not docked into our E9/E09K .

D, Added build in Flash, maybe 8G, still support microSD card, up to 64GB.

E, CPU, dual core 600 Mhz, actually it is designed for table and other device, we hope it should have better performance in decoding the APE and fastest response to any control

F, DAC, one WM8740, not so perfect, but still very good to an DAP which designed for audiophile, we notice that SONY, iRiver also used WM8740 in their new portable DAC/AMP and DAP.

G, Hardware bass/treble/balance control, it is more useful than a software EQ which more easy in a MP3. the original design does not support any EQ or Bass/Treble/Balance control.

H, AMP section change from TPA6130A to AD8397 which used in our ALPEN ( E17 ), I think most of our fans already know how good it will be in sound quality.

I,  Better battery life because the new CPU consume less power now and we also put a bigger battery inside X3,

J. Very simple and iPod style UI , it is just the same style but not a similar UI as iPod. support album cover , lyric display, ID3

K, Almost support any kinds of music up to 192K/24BIT. includes MP3, OGG, AAC, WMA, FLAC, APE, WAV. 

So far the project go smooth but anything is possible so it is not a promise to our fans. as we have too many new model running at the same time, please be patient before we have further news. I will try to update any news but nothing more to share with you right now. 

Yes, now support APE/FLAC/WAV/WMA/ALAC , all up to 192K/24B, is X3 will be the first DAP which support so many kind of Lossless 192/24 music in the world?

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 3,613
Yeah I'm really excited about this..James (Felao) said to start a new thread cuz the e11 thread kinda got all over the place..anyways if its anything like Filo it should be a quality Dap for a more than reasonable price!
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 3,613
Dec 18, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 3,613
I am not at liberty to really tell you any detail, but I guess we can get the discussion going in a right direction.

1) it is not an audiophiles player like HifiMan or ColorFly, it is a mass consumer level product with a few added audiophiles' feature. So user friendly is one of the main design goal, not be-all-end-all SQ. This has always been FiiO's philosophy regarding their own products

2) Most of the basic features people requested here will be covered in the original firmware. I know James already stated he will look into the possibility of using RockBox, but as far as I can tell, the need of using RB is slim as the original firmware seems to be very solid.

3) I don't think it will be RockChip based, so you won't need to worry about software weakness inherited from the RockChip platform (so this goes back to point #2).

I think it is a good idea to list down some features you would like to see. Do note that FiiO probably won't be able to get to all of them, but I guess a wish list for future DAP development would also be nice. Be realistic though, remember that it is just a consumer level product.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 3,613
I figured if any head-fi member had any information on the dap it would be ClieOS.

I'm glad it's not based on the rockchip as for some reason every rockchip based player I know of is one of those "audiophile" dap where sound is first and everything else (battery,UI,etc) comes second.

I don't know what the stages for the new dap is as I haven't followed it closely but I know I can't afford another one unless I sell one of mine but that won't be for at least a month since I'm waiting for the N2 to come after the preorder period is over at mp4nation.

As for the dap I just want something around the size of a fuze with good battery life (20-30 or more) with flac and mp3 support, gapless and a usable 5 band EQ. Also something with buttons instead of touch screen would be nice although the trend has been going from buttons to touch screen over the last couple years.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 3,613
1. A decent DAC, doesn't matter if it's Wolfson or not, and it doesn't have to be like the S:Flo having two DACs and then a separate chip for the analog outputs; it can still sound really, really good as long as it has this and...

2. ...a 3.5mm lineout. Again, no need to use a separate DAC+opamp+headphone driver set-up. What's important is it will be convenient enough to use an amp with. It's harder to DIY an LOD, for one, and if it takes data via a USB port then the dock jack would be redundant.

3. Design the driver circuit to specifically handle 16ohm-32ohm, or if it's even possible from a marketing standpoint,12ohm-24ohm. My iPod Video was decent with IEMs until you crank it up, and there it gives a lot of volume but distorts too easily, and this isn't even a 3-driver universal-fit pro-grade IEM. I wouldn't walk around with a 300-ohm Sennheiser or 120-ohm AKG anyway, and IF I do use these on a portable player, I'd probably have it on a table with an amp.

4. Use the same enclosure as, or at least similar Length and Width,* as the E11. Same way home audio products in the same series are similar in width and depth but with varying height for stacking, or some Class D car audio amps using the same chassis throughout the series with "dockable" mounting screw points. Even if they can't lock/dock onto each other, it's a plus if they're the same width and length. Easier to stack and stick that way, as a narrower amp can sometimes make it problematic for a rubber strap to keep both in place.

5. Use the same battery as the E11, even if it's not as easily accessible. Should be beneficial for the production process, too.

6. A quick and stable UI. I don't need it to be Rockbox, but if adding gizmos will only slow it down, I'd prefer it be a straight-cut music player with an intuitive UI and buttons that won't be easily pummeled or faded by repeated searching for tracks.

7. Both headphone and line out 3.5mm jacks at the bottom as I have less cable issues managing cables with this set-up. 

*It's OK if it's thicker 

And for the "least-likely-to-happen:" integrate the E11's circuit for the headphone output. I can forgo the line-out this way though. Although this might result in a packaging nightmare now that most consumers won't buy anything thicker than an iPod or most Nokias unless it has web browsing.

Quote:
I am not at liberty to really tell you any detail, but I guess we can get the discussion going in a right direction.

1) it is not an audiophiles player like HifiMan or ColorFly, it is a mass consumer level product with a few added audiophiles' feature. So user friendly is one of the main design goal, not be-all-end-all SQ. This has always been FiiO's philosophy regarding their own products

I think it is a good idea to list down some features you would like to see. Do note that FiiO probably won't be able to get to all of them, but I guess a wish list for future DAP development would also be nice. Be realistic though, remember that it is just a consumer level product.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 3,613
Not that I actually believe this could happen, but how cool would it be if it could dock on the E9 and be a standalone source/amp without the need of a PC? The USB could be used to charge it!

I mean, they're already developing an iPhone dock for the E9... Just sayin'.
beyersmile.png

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 3,613
I would personally like to see WM8740 (or at least something of the same class) on the new DAP, since it has already been used on E7. Also 24bit / 192kHz support would be nice, since WM8740 is capable of doing that.

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 3,613
I say Rockbox would be a win.

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 3,613
While we're all fantasizing, I'd like real buttons and a Cowon level EQ/DSP...

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 3,613

Quote:
3. Design the driver circuit to specifically handle 16ohm-32ohm, or if it's even possible from a marketing standpoint,12ohm-24ohm. My iPod Video was decent with IEMs until you crank it up, and there it gives a lot of volume but distorts too easily, and this isn't even a 3-driver universal-fit pro-grade IEM. I wouldn't walk around with a 300-ohm Sennheiser or 120-ohm AKG anyway, and IF I do use these on a portable player, I'd probably have it on a table with an amp.

I think regardless of whether the driver circuit is good or not, the most important part is the quality of the built in amp. For example, my iphone's internal amp is not necessarily underpowered, but higher frequencies sound harsh and congested, probably because the amp isn't processing those higher frequency signals well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back