The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Dec 18, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #31 of 3,613

Quote:
Since James already revealed most of the detail - I have saw the design of the new player (first draw, nothing final yet), and for the least I can say it is a pretty good looking player, at least on par of many brand name player out there.

Looks promising then
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #32 of 3,613

sounds nice.

-though I'll be happy with a more simple(and cheaper) solution for the screen, you know we don't need video or photo playback and we want the best battery life we can have.

-RB can be dual boot you know(let the user decide).

-FLAC (without restrictions of level compression) is a must for me.

- competitive price.

So I know it's on an early development stage but, how much time are we talking about before a release? because I was just contemplating buying a sansa clip(I don't have any DAP right now) but if it's not to much time I could wait.
cool.gif

edit---

and wath about capacity? 
Quote:

some feactures includes in our X3, now you know the model:

1, the size is about the same as E7, so it can really put into your pocket;

2, With line out/ coaxial digital out; I can find anyother DAP have both output! of course there are Headphone out;

3, WM8740; depend on our E7, it is good enough to most of you! and in fact, it is almos the best solution to balance the cost, performance, playtime and size;

4, FiiO dock so you can dock it into our E9, we leran from Apple, it is a user friend design we learn from Apple!

5, Hardware key control!

6, fold/files browsing!

7, Not a ordinary solution like rockchip,

8, 320*240 TFT display so we can invole in some kind of music library like artist, album, cover and style!

We don't want to make a expensive DAP , but we also don't need to make some cheap DAP, what we wants to make is a total innovation, high quality, high performance,and affortable , slim DAP ( of course it can not compare with iPod or Sansa ).

Anyway, it is under deveoping, although the hardware is decided but we can still adopt lots of your reqest, for example about the Gapless  playback, but we need to find out whether we can do it !

I like the balance control idea 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Ah I'm glad this thread exists now. For FiiOs considerations, I'm going to categorise DAP features from essential to being even considered viable, right through to nice but not essential. 

Essential -
There has been a lot of talk about RockBox but so long as these basic features are there then the DAP will be basically as good as any other. Surprisingly the most expensive players out there don't even manage the first one - making them worthless pieces of junk in my book.

Gapless playback
Support of all the usual codecs
File/Folder browsing option
MSC file transfer option
Bare minimum of hardware controls (volume, back and forward tracks, play/pause, power)
Pan/Balance control (for those with one ear that hears less well than the other and one that goes all the way over to one ear mono for one eared listening)
Decent, usable batterly life
Non laggy UI with basic standard of usability

Any player that does not implement all of the above is not worth a penny.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #34 of 3,613
It won't be as small as Clip+, nor as cheap. Since it is more complex than an amp, it won't be as cheap as one - I am sure you can figure that out. Plus FiiO is not Sandisk, so they won't have the resource to make very cheap player in large quantity because FiiO won't have (or expect) as many customer as Sandisk. When you produce electronics in small quantity, the cost of each will go up.

As for RockBox - I am sure if there is enough interest, the community will find a way to do it, as always.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #35 of 3,613
Couple this with some serious storage solution, and size not notably larger than other hard drive based MP3 players, and I think you just described my next DAP purchase!

Quote:
... 2, With line out/ coaxial digital out; I can find anyother DAP have both output! of course there are Headphone out...

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #37 of 3,613

Quote:

2, With line out/ coaxial digital out; I can find anyother DAP have both output! of course there are Headphone out;

3, WM8740; depend on our E7, it is good enough to most of you! and in fact, it is almos the best solution to balance the cost, performance, playtime and size;

4, FiiO dock so you can dock it into our E9, we leran from Apple, it is a user friend design we learn from Apple!

5, Hardware key control!

6, fold/files browsing!

8, 320*240 TFT display so we can invole in some kind of music library like artist, album, cover and style!

We don't want to make a expensive DAP , but we also don't need to make some cheap DAP, what we wants to make is a total innovation, high quality, high performance,and affortable , slim DAP ( of course it can not compare with iPod or Sansa ).

Anyway, it is under deveoping, although the hardware is decided but we can still adopt lots of your reqest, for example about the Gapless  playback, but we need to find out whether we can do it !

Will it look similar to the E7 too? And price range? HD means hard drive right? And the ability to use it as an impromptu DAC like the HM602 would have been cool too...

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #38 of 3,613

Quote:
Couple this with some serious storage solution, and size not notably larger than other hard drive based MP3 players, and I think you just described my next DAP purchase!

Agreed...please include substantially more than the HM602's pathetic 2GB onboard storage. A good - say, eight hours - battery life and gapless are both great features to have, if not necessities. EddieE pretty much listed all of what we're looking for.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #39 of 3,613

Quote:

5, Hardware key control!

6, fold/files browsing!

OH DROOL

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #40 of 3,613

Quote:

Hifiman and Colorfly have both (not that they're relevant players by any means). Iriver H100 has optical, not coaxial S/PDIF (same as most Minidisc players).

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #42 of 3,613

Quote:
Quote:
HD means hard drive right?

I'm pretty sure James said at one point one of their upcoming products would support HD, as in High Definition 96kHz/24bit music. If this is the one I'm sure that's what it means.

frown.gif
That's what I assume at first, but I was hoping they'd add a hard drive...especially with that new single platter 500GB hard drive that's out.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #45 of 3,613
This should be exciting ..can't wait to hear more about this product..btw since it is still in production do you think it'll be released in the second half of 2011 ..cuz that'd be great..don't wanna be too hopeful but I'm perfectly fine waiting for the best product that they can come up with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back