The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Jul 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #1,503 of 3,613
@feiao,

Are all those colors available, or will you decide which one/s to make? I'd prefer matte black if only one or a few make it to production. I like how everything is just either one shade or at least no 2nd or 3rd color tone is too visible. Although the all-grey with white markings on the buttons of the original design is still the best.

Quote:
much better imo. the thing i keep disliking the most is that angled edge. why not just flat surface? sorry if u dont get what i mean, not native english here.

Because presumably they're using the same side frame and back plate as E7, but since this has line out, digital out, screen and card reader, it needs more space for components inside. Making the whole thing thicker for a flat top panel means they can't use the E7 frame, also a raised center and rounded slope actually fits into tighter pockets better than a thick, flat box. Without an outer case (plastic, neoprene, rubber, etc) a flat thick box would be prone to getting scratches on the edges from tight pants pockets, not to mention the case itself would make it even thicker. Personally though only the IPT4 and S9 have been really, really comfortable in my pockets anyway, and I'm not planning to sell these because of the Fiio. I'm planning to use the X3 more as a transportable, bedside and back-up (for when my main rig's CDP fails) player with a Toucan, so I could go either wa, although I am slanting towards a flat top panel.

Quote:
How horrid. It had potential in the first phase, now it just looks cheap and hokey. Overpriced to begin with and now this. No way. Maybe for $100...maybe.

I don't understand what's overpriced about it. HM602 looks like a huge brick game  but I was more deterred by the size than by the looks.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #1,504 of 3,613

Quote:
Because presumably they're using the same side frame and back plate as E7, but since this has line out, digital out, screen and card reader, it needs more space for components inside. Making the whole thing thicker for a flat top panel means they can't use the E7 frame, also a raised center and rounded slope actually fits into tighter pockets better than a thick, flat box. Without an outer case (plastic, neoprene, rubber, etc) a flat thick box would be prone to getting scratches on the edges from tight pants pockets, not to mention the case itself would make it even thicker. Personally though only the IPT4 and S9 have been really, really comfortable in my pockets anyway, and I'm not planning to sell these because of the Fiio. I'm planning to use the X3 more as a transportable, bedside and back-up (for when my main rig's CDP fails) player with a Toucan, so I could go either wa, although I am slanting towards a flat top panel.

I don't understand what's overpriced about it. HM602 looks like a huge brick game  but I was more deterred by the size than by the looks.

I agree with this 100%. I was interested in the HiFiMAN, but the size deterred me quite alot in the end. Seeing as the X3 is the size of a mobile phone and looks much better from the prototype. I would snap once up in an instant. Oh wait... The price is under $200! Pew! Another big factor.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #1,505 of 3,613
I can't say I'm a fan of the play button in the uncomfortable-to-reach (for righties) bottom right corner...  But looks-wise the X3 is shaping up as I had hoped.

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,507 of 3,613
Sometimes I'm forced to check if I'm reading Head-Fi or if I've acccidentally slipped on to 4chan by mistake. This thread, uh...

Anyway. I'm pretty contented with the latest iteration. I'd like an illuminated FiiO logo, battery life be damned. That would look very classy. I'd also like to point out that I was photoshopping X3 pictures to give different button layouts about 75 pages back, so there. Glad to see people finally took it upon themselves to suggest something better, though I'm starting to wish they hadn't...

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #1,510 of 3,613

Quote:
read the OP, that should give you pretty much all the info there is about this player.

Quote:
I've only just discovered this thread, and with 101 pages there's too much to go through.

So can someone please quickly summarise, why would I buy this player over, say, a Cowon J3?

And also the fact that it isnt out yet and still yet to be heard!!
So yeah its feature rich but we dunno how it sounds

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,512 of 3,613

Quote:

read the OP, that should give you pretty much all the info there is about this player.

Sorry, but the OP doesn't help me at all!  The only thing I can see which is unique is the 'coaxial digital output'.  I have no idea what that is, or why I would want one!

The Cowon J3 has fantastic audio quality.  It's small and light, easy to use, expandable memory and 50+ hours battery life.  This Fiio player appears to have:

1. Poorer controls
2. Much, much worse battery life
3. Worse screen
4. Bigger and bulkier

So I repeat my question, why would I buy this player?  Is it this digital output that makes it so appealing?

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #1,513 of 3,613
Dont buy one then...

We are all interested in this because it has more options for use, a Line-out can goto a Portable amp or any amp that has Coaxial in. The DAC inside is a quality part which will support higher resolution audio files. The amp inside will also be able to driver higher ohm headphones unlike a J3/D2 etc. The flexibility of being able to use with other Fiio items such as the E9. The battery life may be poor but we are hoping the Sound Quality will make up for this. In the end we all want a better sound, if you want user friendly buy your J3 and be done.

Quote:
Sorry, but the OP doesn't help me at all!  The only thing I can see which is unique is the 'coaxial digital output'.  I have no idea what that is, or why I would want one!

The Cowon J3 has fantastic audio quality.  It's small and light, easy to use, expandable memory and 50+ hours battery life.  This Fiio player appears to have:

1. Poorer controls
3. Worse screen
4. Bigger and bulkier

So I repeat my question, why would I buy this player?  Is it this digital output that makes it so appealing?

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,514 of 3,613

Quote:
Dont buy one then...

Exactly. If you can't even convince yourself to get one, why should we want to convince you?

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,515 of 3,613
A. It has the WM8740 DAC so the headphone out may be better than the J3.
Although it's not out yet and nobody knows how it sounds, this is a good appeal.
(Cowon players usually need to be tweaked quite a bit with their EQ to get good sound imo, but the X3 looks to be one of those players that wouldn't need to)

B. It has line out.  Line level signal is strong and what we (or atleast me) always want going in to portable amps, instead of just headphone out.

C. And yes because it has coax output, also microSD compatibility, 192/24 FLAC support seems to be another appeal.

D. Announced estimated price looks very reasonable.

Also this is Fiio's first DAP in the build, and we want to see what it turns out like.  They say their aiming for a player that is reasonably priced but sounds good, yet having features that most players in the same price range wouldn't have.  And to me, it looks like they're getting closer to reach this goal.

Quote:

1. Poorer controls
3. Worse screen
4. Bigger and bulkier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back