The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Jul 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #1,531 of 3,613
Updated the first post with what's special about this. Am I missing anything?

And awesome we broke 100 pages

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,532 of 3,613

Quote:

Exactly. If you can't even convince yourself to get one, why should we want to convince you?

Thanks for your insightful comment.

Sorry I'm not god's gift to audiophile commentary, but I'm trying to ask an honest question. 

Why would I want you to convince me? Because presumably like yourself, I'm interested in purchasing equipment that allows me to get maximum enjoyment whilst listening to my music.  Just because I'm new to this sort of thing shouldn't be a barrier to me getting sound advice, should it?

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,533 of 3,613

Quote:
Updated the first post with what's special about this. Am I missing anything?

And awesome we broke 100 pages

Thanks for that.  I have a couple of questions.

1. What does 'HP' stand for?
2. How much difference will the coaxial output make?  Why is it better and do I need any particular extra equipment to make use of it?

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,534 of 3,613

Quote:
Thanks for that.  I have a couple of questions.

1. What does 'HP' stand for?
2. How much difference will the coaxial output make?  Why is it better and do I need any particular extra equipment to make use of it?

1. Headphone.
2. You can connect an external DAC if the internal DAC isn't good enough for you.

And ClieOS didn't mean to sound caustic, he has a point. There's no point in getting this if you don't have a good reason to up/sidegrade to this. The J3 is perfectly capable, and if you have no need for the coax, it's a waste of $170ish that you could have gotten a decent amp for if you really want to maximize your portable rig.

That's my view on this anyways. Even though I'm getting a Hisoundaudio Studio, this interests me because it makes a good portable transport. This is a very capable affordable DAP either way, but since you already have a J3, it makes recommending this a bit harder if you don't need the coax.

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #1,535 of 3,613

Quote:
Thanks for your insightful comment.

Sorry I'm not god's gift to audiophile commentary, but I'm trying to ask an honest question. 

Why would I want you to convince me? Because presumably like yourself, I'm interested in purchasing equipment that allows me to get maximum enjoyment whilst listening to my music.  Just because I'm new to this sort of thing shouldn't be a barrier to me getting sound advice, should it?

The problem lies in what you want, not what we think you should have. If you have done enough research of your own, I think you already know what kind of player you'll be looking for. If you haven't really had a clear idea and new to the game, then asking us for something that is beyond your scope of understanding might do you more harm than good. Things like SPDIF might seem very attractive to us because we know what we can put it to good use, but to you it might mean nothing. You could very well love the J3, but we might have convince you to get the X3 because we tell you the digital-out will bring you to audiophile heaven. After spending money on X3 and probably a portable DAC and amp later, you might realize you were looking for a slick, compact DAP like J3 and not a brick size, half a kilogram of gears that you don't want to bring it out of the house. You end up having less time enjoying music and more time trying to believe in the audiophile dream that we had sold to you.

Saying something has good sound quality is one thing, saying it will fit what you need is another. Sometime the better sounding gear can be the wrong choice. The question is, are you looking for generally easy to use, slick and decent sounding DAP as a general consumer, or are you willing to forgo many features in exchange for certain attributes in a DAP like an audiophile? Plenty of people come here to seek out improvement, but many never found out just how far they are willing to go till they spent the wrong money. Good advice can still be a trap when it is given to the wrong person. That's why if you have no idea why X3 will make a better DAP for you, we shouldn't try to convince you, and don't forget we are talking about a DAP that has not been released yet - what kind of sound advice do you think you can get from us?

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #1,536 of 3,613

Quote:

The problem lies in what you want, not what we think you should have. If you have done enough research of your own, I think you already know what kind of player you'll be looking for. If you haven't really had a clear idea and new to the game, then asking us for something that is beyond your scope of understanding might do you more harm than good. Things like SPDIF might seem very attractive to us because we know what we can put it to good use, but to you it might mean nothing. You could very well love the J3, but we might have convince you to get the X3 because we tell you the digital-out will bring you to audiophile heaven. After spending money on X3 and probably a portable DAC and amp later, you might realize you were looking for a slick, compact DAP like J3 and not a brick size, half a kilogram of gears that you don't want to bring it out of the house. You end up having less time enjoying music and more time trying to believe in the audiophile dream that we had sold to you.

Saying something has good sound quality is one thing, saying it will fit what you need is another. Sometime the better sounding gear can be the wrong choice. The question is, are you looking for generally easy to use, slick and decent sounding DAP as a general consumer, or are you willing to forgo many features in exchange for certain attributes in a DAP like an audiophile? Plenty of people come here to seek out improvement, but many never found out just how far they are willing to go till they spent the wrong money. Good advice can still be a trap when it is given to the wrong person. That's why if you have no idea why X3 will make a better DAP for you, we shouldn't try to convince you, and don't forget we are talking about a DAP that has not been released yet - what kind of sound advice do you think you can get from us?

Thanks, that was really useful!

I have a J3 and ultimate ears superfi. 5 pro with custom sleeves and phonak audeo 112.  To me it sounds great, but until you know what else is out there, you can't make a sound judgement.  I can definitely tell my earphones could do with upgrading, because the bass response on the phonaks, whilst more subtle, is far more precise (although with the custom sleeves, the UEs are my preference overall).

At the moment the J3 suits my needs very well. I do a lot of travelling so need a compact player with great battery life, but not at the expense of great audio quality.  If I considered the X3, I would have to weigh up how much I'm willing to sacrifice portability and battery life in order to (maybe) gain audio quality.

So if you attach an amp to the X3, this thing is going to be pretty bulky.  Maybe not suited at all to a lot of travelling types.  For those who are going to buy this player, in what situtation will you be using it?  Walking to work in the morning?  On the train/plane?  Or just at home?

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #1,538 of 3,613

Quote:
Who wants some high quality 26/96 khz ragge, rap, hip hop romanian music just PM me.I allready started to collect HIFI music for the X3 when i will get it.At the moment they are on my Clip+ and you can tell the diffrence between 16/44 and 24/96 with my Westone 4.
Levi

Correct me if I'm wrong - but while the Clip+ will play 24/96 (rockbox), doesn't it resample back to 16/44 at output (limitations of the clip+)?  Therefore on the W4's, you are actually listening to 16/44 - not 24/96.  BTW - I got this info from a  post by the actual rockbox developer.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #1,539 of 3,613

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong - but while the Clip+ will play 24/96 (rockbox), doesn't it resample back to 16/44 at output (limitations of the clip+)?  Therefore on the W4's, you are actually listening to 16/44 - not 24/96.  BTW - I got this info from a  post by the actual rockbox developer.

Yes, you are correct. Must be the placebo effect at work for the previous poster.
wink_face.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #1,542 of 3,613

Quote:

You don't need to ask a RB developer for that. The DAC section in Clip+ doesn't go beyond 16/48 and that is hardware limit that no software can improve on. That is not to say 16/44 and 24/96 of the same music will sound the same. If the 24/96 version of the music has different mastering process (though by definition they won't be the "same" music anymore), then it could sound different from the 16/44. Sometime company re-released a HD version of their old music using a better mastering process (because they want to sell you on a higher price). The improvement has less to do with bit depth and sampling rate but more to do with mastering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back