The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jul 30, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #2,746 of 3,322
I apologize if this has already been asked a bunch of times, the search function isn't working well for me right now. I've been really wanting to get into electrostatic headphones lately. Between the Lseries and the upcoming MrSpeakers model, there's a lot of good stuff going on. However, the idea of shelling out $1k+ for a dedicated amp kind of sucks. Does the Woo audio WEE paired with something like say a Schiit Vidar, compare adequately with a real Stax amp or is it a no-go?

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #2,747 of 3,322
So does that mean you hear such distortion when wearing it?
Perhaps older lambdas had less symmetrical chambers so the effect does not occur?
Unfortunately I don't own one to try it.
Could you please share the signal test for others to try?
Cheers!

Yes I do hear them even when I put them on. I used tone generator (http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/) and as said earlier, anything below 120 Hz with enough volume should do. Interestingly I can "hear" down to 3 Hz and actually see membrane moving due to crackling sound.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #2,748 of 3,322
I apologize if this has already been asked a bunch of times, the search function isn't working well for me right now. I've been really wanting to get into electrostatic headphones lately. Between the Lseries and the upcoming MrSpeakers model, there's a lot of good stuff going on. However, the idea of shelling out $1k+ for a dedicated amp kind of sucks. Does the Woo audio WEE paired with something like say a Schiit Vidar, compare adequately with a real Stax amp or is it a no-go?

A WEE is $499, a Vidar is $699, plus you still need a preamp for volume control.

Real Stax amps are frequently available used. In fact, here's a SRM1 MK2 Pro that's been gone through and looks like a great starting point, IMO.

http://www.mjolnir-audio.com/special-projects-and-used-amplifiers-sources-etc-2/

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,749 of 3,322

The small amps are usually only like $200 used or a little less. And they sound plenty good. I've been lazy on not working on the new current surge mods on my Circlotron because my old SRM-Xh with a GRLV PSU sounds pretty great. As good as the full size Stax amps I've owned though not up to full KG full size snuff.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #2,750 of 3,322
I didn't know the ifi Pro iESL was available yet, glad you got your hands on one.

If you're using the Carver with the ifi, I wouldn't be surprised at a bright presentation. (My ancient memory from my days in retail -- we sold them.)

Are you still in LA?

Cheers!
Ah, then that would make sense. The headphone output of the Carver amp sounds quite warm actually, so that's kind of weird. I don't have any other speaker amps to use with the iESL unfortunately.

Yup yup, I'm still in LA!

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,751 of 3,322
A WEE is $499, a Vidar is $699, plus you still need a preamp for volume control.

Real Stax amps are frequently available used. In fact, here's a SRM1 MK2 Pro that's been gone through and looks like a great starting point, IMO.

http://www.mjolnir-audio.com/special-projects-and-used-amplifiers-sources-etc-2/
Well, a big part of why I ask is that I already have a speaker amp and pre-amp. Hence, is a single $500 investment good or is it objectively worse-sounding than an equivalently priced stax amp?

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,752 of 3,322

I have a SRM-313 117 volt and SRM-1 mkII Prifessional 100 volt up for sale on eBay. I don't have enough posts here to post them in the for sale forum.

Both work perfectly, but have a few scratches, mainly on the sides and top. The SRM-1 has a dent on top as well.

Both great amps sound great with a slight edge going to the SRM-1 in my book. The SRM-1 was also adjusted for balance and offset recently.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,753 of 3,322
Another strange thing is that crackling is somewhat sensitive to placement:

Frequency used in this video was 89 Hz.

At 10 o'clock, all crackling is gone, at 11 o'clock, it crackles only from 70 to 120 Hz.

I don't think it's dust, as others said new Lambdas have pretty good protection and I also keep them in dust cover during night. Do you guys know what is causing it?

Yes I do hear them even when I put them on. I used tone generator (http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/) and as said earlier, anything below 120 Hz with enough volume should do. Interestingly I can "hear" down to 3 Hz and actually see membrane moving due to crackling sound.

I would check with a multimeter if your source or amplifier has unusual dc offset. And I would try to discharge the diaphragm shorting the pro bias connector pins. Other than that, I would just try to get warranty service. :triportsad:

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,754 of 3,322

If you want to use your speaker amp, get your hands on a vintage STAX electrostatic converter. Ensure that it has the right output. (Vintage STAX needs 6-pin Normal bias output while modern STAX needs 5-pin PRO bias output.)

Go here for a list of them that you can search for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stax_products#Amplifier_adapters

In addition to eBay, you can search the used market here:
https://devbrada.com/classifieds
https://www.hifishark.com

How much power can your speaker amp output? I used a 40W vintage receiver with an SR-Lambda and SRD-6SB, and it still wasn't enough for some recordings. (It distorted at higher volume or when there was heavy bass.) I'd recommend 100W or more just to be safe, if you go the speaker amp + electrostatic converter route.

But, as was mentioned, used STAX amps are available at decent prices.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #2,755 of 3,322
Well, a big part of why I ask is that I already have a speaker amp and pre-amp. Hence, is a single $500 investment good or is it objectively worse-sounding than an equivalently priced stax amp?

No way to tell without listening.

Another factor for me was form factor and footprint. I hated having a preamp, power amp, and energizer taking up desktop just to drive Stax cans. Now I have a Stax 727A, a Woo WA6 for dynamic cans, way less real estate is eaten up, and I'm very happy sonically.

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #2,756 of 3,322
Can you mess something up on the SRM-252S if you briefly plug a line-level input into one of the parallel outputs? What might the symptoms be of damage?

Also looking for an appropriate linear regulated supply for the SRM-252S either with the correct barrel size and polarity, or with those two-pin-holes cord end that can take interchangeable tips. The euro wart came with the correct changeable tip. Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,757 of 3,322
Can you mess something up on the SRM-252S if you briefly plug a line-level input into one of the parallel outputs? What might the symptoms be of damage?

Also looking for an appropriate linear regulated supply for the SRM-252S either with the correct barrel size and polarity, or with those two-pin-holes cord end that can take interchangeable tips. The euro wart came with the correct changeable tip. Thanks.

I personally used a Jameco wall-wart (though I forget the part #) with my 252S.

I see Mjolnir is offering wall-warts though, and since they arguably make the best aftermarket Stax amps....I think what they use/recommend would be sufficient :)

http://www.mjolnir-audio.com/diy-supplies/

Scroll to the very bottom of the page.

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #2,758 of 3,322
PPIcTuv3UNSPLJm1j9MtE8Uvxk9XeIwS-cdlMAYbE_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back