The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jul 10, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,716 of 3,322
Has anyone here bought the SRS-3100 system from a U.S. dealer, like headamp for example? I know buying from a U.S. dealer offers the benefit of getting a 252s unit that is U.S. wall wart compatible, but I was wondering if the unit itself is wired differently internally to be compatible or if the unit simply comes with a proper wall wart or step-down transformer...

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #2,718 of 3,322
Anyone know of another stax U.S. dealer(s) other than headamp? They got a 6-8 week wait period on their 252s...

I think elusive disk is one correct?

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,720 of 3,322
Has anyone here bought the SRS-3100 system from a U.S. dealer, like headamp for example? I know buying from a U.S. dealer offers the benefit of getting a 252s unit that is U.S. wall wart compatible, but I was wondering if the unit itself is wired differently internally to be compatible or if the unit simply comes with a proper wall wart or step-down transformer...

The 252S operates on 12VDC, full stop. It's the wall warts themselves that are different. The amp is the same.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,721 of 3,322
Jul 12, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #2,722 of 3,322
Than you both for your answers. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait either way then, oh well : \

The person I sold my SR-L300, SR-Lambda, SRM-252S, and SRD-6SB to bought a second used SRM-252S because he plans on selling the SRS-3100 system and perhaps upgrading to the SR-L500. Considering he got it that quickly, you should be able to find a used one long before a new one is available from a US dealer. Or you could just import one from Japan. (This would be easier if you were purchasing a headpone + amp system; not sure if you already have STAX headphones.)

I can confirm that the Jameco 170245 regulated linear power supply and Truetone 1 SPOT CYR reverse polarity converter are good for the SRM-252S in the US.

An alternative to the electrostatic amp is to get an electrostatic converter with 5-pin PRO bias output (such as the SRD-7/Pro, SRD-7SB/MK2, or SRD-X/Pro) and speaker amp (I'd recommend a vintage receiver from eBay that outputs 100 watts or more).

(Oh, and the main reason I sold the STAX is because I still prefer my speakers over any headphone, though STAX are my favorite headphones.)

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #2,723 of 3,322
HE-400 i & S versions are worth trying too as they're currently in production. The SRS-2170 is very euphonic and has a surprisingly natural sounding presentation. They're faster than any other type of headphones I've heard and are arguably in a different league. Unfortunately, I find the upper mid-range and lower treble to be aggressively forward, while the linear bass provides far less quantity than my favourite dynamics and planars. To give an indication, here's my brash EQ fix for contemporary music which some aficionados may not approve of.

It's a shame I'm not fond of the signature as the speed and realism is striking. I'd still rate my Audeze LCD-XC, LCD-2 and HE-500 as more enjoyable, despite Stax's technical superiority. I'm saving up for the Stax SR-L700 as I've read the SR-507/SR-L500 midrange can also be excessive, though I'm not expecting any more bass quantity.

Did you end up buying the L700? I have the HE-500 and I've been very tempted to get STAX (probably the L300), though I don't think I'd have the luxury of keeping both around :)

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #2,724 of 3,322
Something I forgot to mention about the person who has my SR-L300 and SR-Lambda now: He also thinks the L300 has a more intimate soundstage than the original Lambda, so that's at least one other audiophile who agrees with me about that.

I have the HE-500 and I've been very tempted to get STAX (probably the L300), though I don't think I'd have the luxury of keeping both around :)

I had both. Although STAX is my favorite, the HE500 is really nice as well, and I happen to prefer it over most non-electrostatic headphones I've heard. (See profile.)

...You liked so many of my posts in this thread while I was sleeping! haha. It blew up my notifications.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #2,725 of 3,322
I am actually thinking of putting my L300 + SRM-1 Mk 2 PP (extremely rare driver) up for sale but not sure. It's so good that I go back and forth every day as to whether to keep them. But I may go the speaker route too, and I just got the K1000.

Music Alchemist - how are the JBL LSR305? I've been eyeing them for a long time and hear great things about them.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,726 of 3,322
Musical Alchemist - how are the JBL LSR305? I've been eyeing them for a long time and hear great things about them.

It's crazy how many people get my user name wrong. XD

I've said this many times in many places, but I prefer them over any headphone. (You can read through my profile for a list of headphones I've owned/heard.) It's so much more like the actual instruments are in the room with me. I wasn't expecting it at all, because I only paid $250 for a new pair on eBay. Headphones make certain details easier to analyze, but in a less natural way. You also don't have to worry about the listening room with headphones. Even with these nearfield speakers, the sound changes considerably depending on how they are set up in the room. I'm sure it would be better with acoustic treatments and EQ, but even without them, they sound phenomenal. Differences between DACs are more apparent with them too.

I used to prefer headphones over speakers, so this really changed my priorities. Now I have to weigh the benefits and downsides of focusing on speaker vs headphone upgrades.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #2,727 of 3,322
I just edited the post and corrected your username.

I don't know much about speakers but the 305's get universal acclaim so it's probably a safe bet. It would be for a fairly small room and I can't really blast the music at full volume so they should fit the profile of what I need. I only have a pair of Pioneer bookshelf speakers (the budget Andrew Jones ones) and they are pretty good. I would get the 305's as a replacement.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,728 of 3,322
Something I forgot to mention about the person who has my SR-L300 and SR-Lambda now: He also thinks the L300 has a more intimate soundstage than the original Lambda, so that's at least one other audiophile who agrees with me about that.

I had both. Although STAX is my favorite, the HE500 is really nice as well, and I happen to prefer it over most non-electrostatic headphones I've heard. (See profile.)

...You liked so many of my posts in this thread while I was sleeping! haha. It blew up my notifications.

LOL, sorry about that! I just started to read through the thread and you wrote pretty much 3/4 of it, all very interesting.

Could you please elaborate on the HE-500 vs L300?

Thanks

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,729 of 3,322
Could you please elaborate on the HE-500 vs L300?

Sure thing.

The HE500, like planar magnetics tend to be, is smoother and lusher, but not so much so as some of its brethren. It and the HE6 have better dynamics than most planars. Things jump out more, whereas the HE1000 felt like it was wrapping the music in caramel. lol

The SR-L300, to me, sounds sort of like a cross between an electrostatic and dynamic. The SR-Lambda is more light, springy, delicate, and ethereal. The SR-207 isn't so ethereal, but still has a more delicate presentation compared to the SR-L300, which is more solid and focused; hardly ethereal anymore. All three are among the most neutral headphones I've heard, without many dips and peaks in a frequency sweep. The SR-L300 has stronger bass, along with more bass impact. Electrostats generally have better transparency and, in my opinion, get closer to reproducing what is on the recording.

If you want more details, ask some detailed questions and I'll be happy to help.

Jul 13, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #2,730 of 3,322
The person I sold my SR-L300, SR-Lambda, SRM-252S, and SRD-6SB to bought a second used SRM-252S because he plans on selling the SRS-3100 system and perhaps upgrading to the SR-L500. Considering he got it that quickly, you should be able to find a used one long before a new one is available from a US dealer. Or you could just import one from Japan. (This would be easier if you were purchasing a headpone + amp system; not sure if you already have STAX headphones.)

I can confirm that the Jameco 170245 regulated linear power supply and Truetone 1 SPOT CYR reverse polarity converter are good for the SRM-252S in the US.

An alternative to the electrostatic amp is to get an electrostatic converter with 5-pin PRO bias output (such as the SRD-7/Pro, SRD-7SB/MK2, or SRD-X/Pro) and speaker amp (I'd recommend a vintage receiver from eBay that outputs 100 watts or more).

(Oh, and the main reason I sold the STAX is because I still prefer my speakers over any headphone, though STAX are my favorite headphones.)
Thanks for the info! I got lucky though, headamp has/d the 252s in stock today so I went ahead and ordered the l300 and 252s. Finally, lol. Took ages to sell my LCD-X, upbeat about my impression of the stax when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back