The discovery thread!
Jun 12, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #105,601 of 114,311
When I first came upon the Zeos channel, he openly admitted that he was a speaker enthusiast, but he recognized that the headphone (not IEMs, as back then, CampFire was about the only named brand) reviews would pay the bills.

I openly admit that I collected the enitre JBL studio series, because of his accolades for the product line and I don't regret the purchases.
Bedroom audio.jpg
Lol just noticed your avatar, but yeah, the JBL studio series actually measures well and sounds good from the best of my abilities hearing demos from YouTube.

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #105,602 of 114,311
Man, tip rolling and brain burn are two vital elements of this insane IEM hobby.

I didn't care for the ST7 that much in my first 30 minutes with it. Then I switched from the stock tips to Penon Liqueur orange tips and just listened to Steely Dan for about two or three hours tonight while working. Much, much better as the Liqueurs work their smooth, warm magic and my brain adjusts to this sound.

Doubt the ST7 will supplant the MagicOne as my favorite IEM, and they're not as fun as the Delci. But they're VERY good, especially for $21, and provide me a different, enjoyable tuning than the MagicOne and Delci. The staging is ridiculous for an IEM, especially a cheap one. Damn near holographic.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #105,603 of 114,311
Man, tip rolling and brain burn are two vital elements of this insane IEM hobby.

I didn't care for the ST7 that much in my first 30 minutes with it. Then I switched from the stock tips to Penon Liqueur orange tips and just listened to Steely Dan for about two or three hours tonight while working. Much, much better as the Liqueurs work their smooth, warm magic and my brain adjusts to this sound.

Doubt the ST7 will supplant the MagicOne as my favorite IEM, and they're not as fun as the Delci. But they're VERY good, especially for $21, and provide me a different, enjoyable tuning than the MagicOne and Delci. The staging is ridiculous for an IEM, especially a cheap one. Damn near holographic.

Early days ...

All of these are very important things to do and sometimes pairing them up with a source that plays well with them. I find IEMs that I might have snubbed in the first hours might actually be pretty enjoyable as I ease into them after days of use.

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #105,604 of 114,311

It was that orbital stage that hooked me in. Initially, I wasn't too impressed, and stated so on this thread, but after some burn in time, I revisited them, and that stage hit me, and just the uniqueness and warmth, and I fell in love with them.

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #105,605 of 114,311
I know it's an older IEM but EPZ Q1 Pro showed up today, spent about an hour with it. First impressions are it's great. Super clear, crisp, natural, with really good midbass thump. Tech isn't anything to write home about but overall super solid 1DD at $30 or whatever it costs.

Really looking forward to my 530 and all the new stuff EPZ has coming. So far 2/2 for EPZ.

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #105,606 of 114,311
It was that orbital stage that hooked me in. Initially, I wasn't too impressed, and stated so on this thread, but after some burn in time, I revisited them, and that stage hit me, and just the uniqueness and warmth, and I fell in love with them.
I’m always impressed when an IEM can do stage depth and height, I don’t wanna just hear sounds happening in the back of my head while there’s a gaping hole in the center image. I’d easily sacrifice some width for that better coherency.

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #105,607 of 114,311
All of these are very important things to do and sometimes pairing them up with a source that plays well with them. I find IEMs that I might have snubbed in the first hours might actually be pretty enjoyable as I ease into them after days of use.
Only two sources here -- an Apple dongle connected to my phone and a JDS Labs Atom+ stack.

I always go with the Atom stack so there are never any questions about enough power. Plus, it's such a damn clean amp that I never get any hiss or hum with IEMs.

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #105,608 of 114,311
I think the same is happening to me. She's not the belle of the ball, but that stage! It's nuts for a budget IEM.

Bon Scott might have sang about the ST7's stage, "The girls got rhythm ... the girls got rhythm ... she got the backseat rhythm ... the girls got rhythm." :)

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #105,609 of 114,311
I know it's an older IEM but EPZ Q1 Pro showed up today, spent about an hour with it. First impressions are it's great. Super clear, crisp, natural, with really good midbass thump. Tech isn't anything to write home about but overall super solid 1DD at $30 or whatever it costs.

Really looking forward to my 530 and all the new stuff EPZ has coming. So far 2/2 for EPZ.
indeed, EPZ is on a roll nowadays, which is great for them since they didn't have much traction back in 2021 when the awesome epz 530 was first released. To my ears, the epz 530 still competes comfortably with the current mid-fi market, it has resolution & details capability on par with the best of them like Pilgrim, Performer 8, Hype 4 meanwhile having quite an easygoing tuning that works extremely well with jazz and instrumental music. Definitely an IEM worth getting more attention.

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #105,610 of 114,311
Diggin' Zuco 103 - Telenova. Brazilian Electro Jazz from the Netherlands.

Though I'm having to listen to this thing so quietly due to my ear infection. :frowning2:
Ugh that sucks! I had one a few months back and it was horrible. Get well soon friend!
One of my favourite things about doing “review” is when a manufacturer or a retailer ask me specifically for detailed feedback, good or bad, so that they can make certain decision. They might also ask a hundred other average joes, but it feels fun. Though my insistence on hitting a certain range of FR curve does not work well with some.

I should really find a boutique maker to build an IEM that matches my FR curve 100% and hear how good/bad it really is :))

Yeah, 20+ hour each review = no free / fun for me, especially since that IEM is likely in the drawer after reviewing. I don’t know how folks like @Jaytiss can be so fast and consistent.

12409767.jpeg

Edit: has anyone picked up the Juzear 61T (butterfly?). I wonder if it is because Hifigo has picked up the brand Juzear, but I suddenly see a lot of posts about this IEM brand in Japan.
I believe @gadgetgod has the 61T coming?

The Q1 Pro is definitely a nice sub $30 option. Not exactly my tuning preference but it has great shell aestetic and build quality and a decent cable.

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #105,611 of 114,311
Only two sources here -- an Apple dongle connected to my phone and a JDS Labs Atom+ stack.

I always go with the Atom stack so there are never any questions about enough power. Plus, it's such a damn clean amp that I never get any hiss or hum with IEMs.
I hear that the true audiophile is one who has a massive music collection and listens to it all on neutral budget headphones.

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #105,612 of 114,311
I hear that the true audiophile is one who has a massive music collection and listens to it all on neutral budget headphones.
We all have massive music collections now with streaming, but I did top out at 12,000 MP3s "borrowed" from the interwebs before I switched to streaming. :)

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #105,613 of 114,311
The Q1 Pro is definitely a nice sub $30 option. Not exactly my tuning preference but it has great shell aestetic and build quality and a decent cable.
The Q1 Pro is a good value beater, it sounds like a 7hz zero OG with a cleaner balanced tone, mid & vocal focused, slightly better technicality too. Overall, can't go wrong, I used to buy it as gift to my non-audiophile friends on their birthday and they all love it.

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #105,614 of 114,311
We all have massive music collections now with streaming, but I did top out at 12,000 MP3s "borrowed" from the interwebs before I switched to streaming. :)
Speaking of streaming, someone find me a decent gold chain so I can wear my red JBL Clip 4 around my neck like a legend. Catch me crashing college parties like they don’t already have music playing.

Jun 12, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #105,615 of 114,311
There's a new piece of SCHIIT incoming. And at $999 USD, it costs a pretty penny.

The Schiit Kraken.

Class A/B Amp

1.PNG

SPECS:
Power Output:
2 channels, 8 Ohms: 30W RMS per channel
2 channels, 4 Ohms: 50W RMS per channel
5 channels, 8 ohms: 20W RMS per channel
5 channels, 4 ohms: 30W RMS per channel
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, +/-0.03db, 3Hz-250KHz, +/-3dB
THD: <0.008%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 100W RMS into 8 ohms
IMD: <0.009%, CCIR, at 100W RMS into 8 ohms
SNR: >118dB, A-weighted, referenced to full output
Damping Factor: >100 into 8 ohms, 20-20kHz
Gain: 10 (20dB)
Input Sensitivity: AKA Rated Output (Vrms)/Rated Gain. Or, 14.3V/10. You do the math.
Input Impedance: 22k ohms SE
Crosstalk: >85dB, 20-20kHz
Inputs: RCA jacks x 5
12V trigger: yes
Topology: current feedback, fully complementary, all 2SC/2SA BJT, no capacitors in the signal path
Oversight: microprocessor-controlled monitoring and management of critical operational points, with with relay shut-down for overcurrent, thermal, and other faults
Power Supply: 600VA toroidal transformer with 66,000uF filter capacitance, plus boosted, regulated supply to input, voltage gain and driver stages, plus separate, isolated and regulated rails for microprocessor management
Power Consumption: 300W maximum
Size: 9” x 13” x 3.875”
Weight: 22 lbs

https://www.schiit.com/products/kraken

2.PNG

3.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back