The discovery thread!
Jun 11, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #105,602 of 107,072
The Fiio FD15 is a single DD with 2 tuning nozzles.

From out-of-the-box impressions, on the black nozzle, we have a mild U-shaped affair, it sounds very musical with a good sprinkling of technicalities.

The red nozzle tames the top end a bit and adds some warmth.

Both tunings are rather non-fatiguing in the treble, with solid timbre and a very balanced tonality, yet without neglecting technical performance.

Quite an all rounded single DD, does well in most departments. The MMCX may be a bit of a bummer, but it helps partially with ergonomics in letting the connector swivel for a better ear fit.

When I spoke to the Can Jam Singapore rep, this was supposed to retail around $150 USD. Price and release date TBC, but will do some testing against other midFI single DDs and report back. Promising set for our single DD lovers for sure.

Yes @Nabillion_786 Is there anywhere you can audition a set? This sounds a bit similar to your unicorn search for a thick male vocal single DD from the Moondrop KATO, but KATO is a bit peakier in the upper mids/lower treble. And this FD15 kills the KATO in technicalities.
I've seen two listings on the web:

https://www.portacomp.ch/article/FiiO-FD15-Noir.aspx
https://www.headphonezone.in/products/fiio-fd15

Some pricing discrepancies, 190 CHF is around 211 USD while 14000 rupees is roughly 164 USD.

I remember when the Swiss Franc was on par with the American dollar, now it's slightly higher than the Euro.

Jun 11, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #105,603 of 107,072

I like his content but he doesn’t do himself any favours with the “blind tests” that don’t provide results that support his own expectations then he tries to explain why the results weren’t “correct” when there was in fact a clear link between the results and other conclusions, that being the participants could not reliably tell the test gear apart.

Jun 11, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #105,604 of 107,072
My vote is the Ibasso DX180. Got a replaceable battery which most DAPs nowadays do not allow. Meaning this one will last a long time as the owner can easily replace the battery. Fast charge with battery that gets a solid 12-15 hours of use in a single charge. Bluetooth, Android13. Fast SOC and UI with 4 gig ram and 128gig internal memory. Its not perfect but the player works. Is pocketable meaning you can actually carry it around in your pant pocket and it wont feel like you got a small brick in there. It don't get hot either.

Most importantly the SQ of the thing is crazy good. Its got a more neutral leaning sound signature but does not lack in dynamism and is highly detailed in all parts of its sound. Its imaging and layering is another thing that pops out at you when you listen to it. I haven't heard an IEM yet that didnt jive well with it. If your interested in it I would visit the DX180 thread and see what folks are posting about it. So far, its been a complete surprise to me. I own DAPs that cost 5X the price and this thing is just as enjoyable SQ and functional wise.

At the price Bloom audio is asking for one of these. I can't imagine anything sounding actually better than this thing at the price. That promo is still going on. Basically Bloom audio will upgrade the upgraded version of the DX180 for the same price as a basic one. Less than $500 at $469. Believe me its sound quality more than justifies the cost and the having Andorid13 with every app you can imagine working on this thing is icing on the cake. No worries on power either. Thing thing has more power than any IEM or bud will require. A silent black background for IEMs. The pluses goes on and on. Did I mention I was playing some games on it as well? Speedy enough to do emulation and watch movies on it as well.
Sounds promising, and pricing, too.

Most likely, it will go down by November for black Friday. Still got to make up my mind, I'm leaning towards the higher end. Like the RHOM chips in ibasso DX320 or Cayin N7.

I don't know if you've already have them and compared them, so I will seriously consider the DX180, as I trust your advice.

Best

Jun 11, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #105,605 of 107,072
Instead of buying a whole cluster of iems I am trying to restrain to one. The Pilgrim, Dusk, Hype 4, Simgot EM-10, DaVinci, Canon 2, and Tea 2 are a mix of iems I wouldn't mind owning, but realistically one of those should be sufficient (given the difference in sound signature). Which one of that particular group would be your choice or fit you (all being in similar price range)?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #105,606 of 107,072
Instead of buying a whole cluster of iems I am trying to restrain to one. The Pilgrim, Dusk, Hype 4, Simgot EM-10, DaVinci, Canon 2, and Tea 2 are a mix of iems I wouldn't mind owning, but realistically one of those should be sufficient (given the difference in sound signature). Which one of that particular group would be your choice or fit you (all being in similar price range)?
personally would take Tea 2 off this list, it’s kinda old news at this point and to me it was pretty boring even 8+ months ago. I liked the Hype 2 more, sound wise and you already have the hype 4 on here.

Jun 11, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #105,607 of 107,072
Project M

Jun 11, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #105,609 of 107,072
1718137219581.png

Orca Noir. Sorry was bored at work...

Jun 11, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #105,610 of 107,072
personally would take Tea 2 off this list, it’s kinda old news at this point and to me it was pretty boring even 8+ months ago. I liked the Hype 2 more, sound wise and you already have the hype 4 on here.
Are you still finding excitement in the Elite? You have stirred my interest in that. My last source purchase was the Woo Mini. And I have the Mojo 2. Would the Elite add anything to those?

Jun 11, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #105,611 of 107,072
Out of these the only one I have heard is the DaVinci but it's a 5☆ iem to me. Modular cable, great case, and tons of tips. The shell is a bit on the large side though. The Canon 2 has switches so it will provide some variety. The Moondrop Dusk seems a bit divisive but the DSP cable should provide the most customizable sound.

Jun 11, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #105,612 of 107,072
I have that one.
Are you still finding excitement in the Elite? You have stirred my interest in that. My last source purchase was the Woo Mini. And I have the Mojo 2. Would the Elite add anything to those?
Elite pairs beautifully with the Project M.
I would suggest EM10 then

Jun 11, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #105,613 of 107,072
Have not tried the FD7 or FD5. How are they?
They are good. The FD5 is thumpy and engaging, more than Blessing 2, but noticeably less resolving, especially at the sides of the stage. (They use to retail at the same price)

FD7 is flatter across the board, making you turn up the volume, which pushes the bass and treble up to a U-shaped sound. Quite technical for a single DD. I like to listen to cymbals and hats and horn on this IEM.

Jun 11, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #105,614 of 107,072
Had a pleasant delivery experience today. UPS doesn't usually deliver to me on weekdays until around 7 or 730. But I was walking the dog, he took a lil poopie, I was a block away from home and I retraced my steps to go back to a nearby garbage can to dispose of the toxic waste. And my UPS guy pulls up, so I got my package early. I've seen the UPS truck near my house many times on weekdays but never gets to me until later. So thanks to my doggo for taking a perfectly timed and placed crap.

Checking out the Hype 10 from Bloom now. These are some big-assed nozzles! No issues with fit. Now for a couple days of testing and A/B'ing when I have enough time. Discovery days are great, until the credit card bills show up.

Jun 11, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #105,615 of 107,072
Out of these the only one I have heard is the DaVinci but it's a 5☆ iem to me. Modular cable, great case, and tons of tips. The shell is a bit on the large side though. The Canon 2 has switches so it will provide some variety. The Moondrop Dusk seems a bit divisive but the DSP cable should provide the most customizable sound.

I don't know when my DaVinci is coming in but I do have the Dusk.

It's divisive for sure, for a good reason, but I will say that I do love mine. I'm dragging on doing a write up for it because I only played with the app for like a second and it feels disingenuous not to cover all the tunings available via the DSP/Link app. But, that being said, after trial and error, I can say that Dusk sounds fantastic in analog when I've run it in balanced mode on my K11 or the Fosi DS2 where it's getting more power. If you run it with a dedicated desktop set up or something that provides a lot of extra power, the treble is tamed up a -lot- and the bass feels as satisfying as the DSP+ profile.

With the DSP+ profile, it's even smoother (much warmer) but still keeps the secret sauce.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back