The discovery thread!
Dec 15, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #91,231 of 99,437
I've been eyeing Noble's XM-1 and Creative's Aurvana Ace 2 for the xMEMS driver tech. The Aurvana Ace 2 also has an xMEMS driver for the highs along with a 10mm DD for the mids and lows, but it's TWS and not wired. I'm sure the XM-1 will have the better tuning, but I figure $149 isn't too bad of an introductory fee for checking out xMEMS in the Aurvana Ace 2.

1702676875696.png
Whoa I missed these… I may have to check it out.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #91,232 of 99,437
IMG_7139.jpeg

I'm finally listening to the QUATTRO.
They are the paradise of warm and low musicality,
as are SERIAL.

They maintained the musical characteristics of SERIAL, improving them further, with the voices I hear more present and forward.

They have an extraordinary bass quality 😍,
and a clear, smooth and soft vocal performance.

I feel everything more defined and present.

Listening to the bass guitar turns do tears come.

Fantastic.

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #91,233 of 99,437
Little follow up on my “$500-800” dollar budget post… I will be keeping my eye on the Noble Audio XM-1.

At $699, it is using xMEMs driver technology along with a single dynamic driver, and an interesting cable with 4-pin and USB-C design to ensure enough power gets to the drivers. They are promising it to be an ideal use case straight to your phone/tablet, no amp or dongle needed.

This certainly checks a LOT of boxes for me. Good pricing, interesting new tech, supposed natural/organic timbre with mid-bass, the potential of slimming down my every day carry and lots of good word at recent CanJams after spending the morning googling around a bit…

This one is at the top for me right now. Audio46 has a pre-order link that states a 1/24 launch window, which is right in line with when I wanted to upgrade.

Looks very nice as well… right in time for my birthday in February :)

I'm really cutting down on my purchases, but these are on my radar as well. They appeal to the nerd in me and I also really love Spartacus. It will also be nice to make use of the USBC output on the Qudelix T71, and it will be cool to plug them directly into my phone as well.

I agree with what you guys were saying about this price range too. I've had several IEMs in this range and they are too often expensive for discussion in the discovery thread, but not expensive enough for the water cooler. Disregarding that little wrinkle, I do feel like the top IEMs in this price range get you pretty darn close to TOTL. Maybe some of the better IEMs in this range are as good as "average" TOTL. And if not that, I think they can be generally as good as stuff in the 1k-2k range. I would rather listen to Butastur and DTE900 over 64 Nio and Anole VX, for instance.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #91,234 of 99,437
They look gorgeous and I've seen somewhere in the forum they come with a nice cable NiceHCK C16-2, and from some other reviews I red they are what I'm looking for, but could you suggest me where to find them on sale in Europe?
You probably saw my post. I use the SIE with the C16-2, because I find the standard cable quite heavy, stiff and easily tangled. I also prefer the look of the NiceHCK. Overall, VE SIE are a great IEM-s - especially if you like analog, lush, thick sound with strong, pleasant bass, unobtrusive treble and at least decent technicalities.

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #91,235 of 99,437
My Orivetti OD200 landed today, and I must say they live up to the high praise I've read. I'm very much in the honeymoon stage, and also the 'how the heck can these sound like this for only $200', but I've enough experience now with IEMs to know something special when I hear it, and these certainly tick that box - tbh, I'm nervous about doing an a/b vs Hifiman Svanar (10x the cost) as I don't think there is much in it, and indeed OD200 take the prize both for deeper sub extension and more emotive/lush mids - not to mention a better build quality, and far superior cable. Anyway, early days but I'm certainly impressed - I've been on a bit of a buying break in this hobby, and OD200 is a welcome return... next up from a single DD perspective, I reckon Timsok TS-316.

IMG_9235.jpg

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #91,236 of 99,437
I'm really cutting down on my purchases, but these are on my radar as well. They appeal to the nerd in me and I also really love Spartacus. It will also be nice to make use of the USBC output on the Qudelix T71, and it will be cool to plug them directly into my phone as well.

I agree with what you guys were saying about this price range too. I've had several IEMs in this range and they are too often expensive for discussion in the discovery thread, but not expensive enough for the water cooler. Disregarding that little wrinkle, I do feel like the top IEMs in this price range get you pretty darn close to TOTL. Maybe some of the better IEMs in this range are as good as "average" TOTL. And if not that, I think they can be generally as good as stuff in the 1k-2k range. I would rather listen to Butastur and DTE900 over 64 Nio and Anole VX, for instance.
The Spartacus is actually what brought my attention to Noble… if I had a cool 1800 to throw at a set, it would be that one. Not realistic for me right now but… the XM-1 may just be.

The DTE900 also has my attention as well.

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #91,237 of 99,437
I’m inclined to agree. This is one reason I’m excited about the bounds that Headphones.com are using, but I also think there’s room for deviation even from those bounds, and we should talk about that.

For example, I think IEMs can totally have less 2-4kHz than the bounds suggest, as this is an area where ear canal variation between listeners is pretty wide.

Love your username btw :)
Speaking of mud, if there is one point from you that I agree unequivocally, it would be the myth of “bass bleed.” We need to advocate to put some meat back to the midrange bone :dt880smile:

@Leonarfd you have so many good audio friends. Eagerly waiting for your assessment of the U4S. I have never seen one in real life even. It is always sold out at my local hifi store.

@PROblemdetected : UTWS5 + FiiO FF5 is so entertaining. You should try if you come across the FF5 one day.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #91,238 of 99,437
Speaking of mud, if there is one point from you that I agree unequivocally, it would be the myth of “bass bleed.” We need to advocate to put some meat back to the midrange bone :dt880smile:

@Leonarfd you have so many good audio friends. Eagerly waiting for your assessment of the U4S. I have never seen one in real life even. It is always sold out at my local hifi store.
U4s is like bae, it is like endgame for many. I got to demo, you should try it if you can. I almost bought one when they had their B stock sale, but saving for bigger purchases

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #91,239 of 99,437
I've been eyeing Noble's XM-1 and Creative's Aurvana Ace 2 for the xMEMS driver tech. The Aurvana Ace 2 also has an xMEMS driver for the highs along with a 10mm DD for the mids and lows, but it's TWS and not wired. I'm sure the XM-1 will have the better tuning, but I figure $149 isn't too bad of an introductory fee for checking out xMEMS in the Aurvana Ace 2.

1702676875696.png
Nice callout! I remembered someone mentioning a while back that creative was making an xMEMS TWS but I tottally forgot. Ordered that and their BT-W5 bluetooth adapter, but they aren't supposed to ship until after Christmas.

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #91,240 of 99,437
Nice callout! I remembered someone mentioning a while back that creative was making an xMEMS TWS but I tottally forgot. Ordered that and their BT-W5 bluetooth adapter, but they aren't supposed to ship until after Christmas.
I am going to have to give this a go as well! Even though we have xMEMS tech in our units, right now they are out of my reach.

Hopefully, this will at least give me an idea of what this new tech brings to the table.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 15, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #91,241 of 99,437
My Orivetti OD200 landed today, and I must say they live up to the high praise I've read. I'm very much in the honeymoon stage, and also the 'how the heck can these sound like this for only $200', but I've enough experience now with IEMs to know something special when I hear it, and these certainly tick that box - tbh, I'm nervous about doing an a/b vs Hifiman Svanar (10x the cost) as I don't think there is much in it, and indeed OD200 take the prize both for deeper sub extension and more emotive/lush mids - not to mention a better build quality, and far superior cable. Anyway, early days but I'm certainly impressed - I've been on a bit of a buying break in this hobby, and OD200 is a welcome return... next up from a single DD perspective, I reckon Timsok TS-316.

I bet you pick the OD200 over the Svanar calling it right now!

Pass the TIMSOK and wait for another deal of The Meze Advar kills the TS316 on technical chops and overall tonality better bass as well.

Attachments

• 20231130_163912.jpg
    20231130_163912.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231130_163555.jpg
    20231130_163555.jpg
    968.3 KB · Views: 0
Dec 15, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #91,242 of 99,437

Pass the TIMSOK and wait for another deal of The Meze Advar kills the TS316 on technical chops and overall tonality better bass as well.
I found the Advar quite nice, just the upper mids seemed a bit oddly spicy compared to the rest of the spectrum. But ver spacious and 3D imaging. How is the TS-316 in comparison?

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #91,243 of 99,437
Dec 16, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #91,244 of 99,437
That price tag on the OD200 is absurd in the sense that it is as enjoyable as a 2000usd iem. Last night, I gave them a bit of extra juice through Earmen Angel, and I was just lost. They sound so good, so immersive, and so engaging that you just want to listen to everything you have ever loved. Lotoo Paw Gold Touch + Earmen Angel -> OD200, nothing but bliss.

IMG_8851.jpeg

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #91,245 of 99,437

I had Advar as part of a review tour, very nice set but I found the fit challenging - also, as per @Ace Bee, I found some occasional harshness in the mids. There was an opportunity to buy at a discount at the time but I passed for those reasons.

Have you heard the FAudio Spring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back