The discovery thread!
Dec 28, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #34,756 of 100,711
@Dsnuts On a more productive note, did you get all your cables from 11.11 sale? Sorry im a minion and don't have moolah for either a chiron or a tia fourte

Ya sure did. I have too many cables now. It is a good problem to have I suppose but. Most of the cables are good except for one of them which the mmcx is a bit on the smaller rotating the housing of connected earphone. I was debating if I want to claim foul and get an exchange. But alas this is the problem with getting stuff from China

There is no way I am gonna wait the 2 month period for a cheaper cable to return to me.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #34,758 of 100,711
End game: The ones they bury you with...
25635.412299.jpg

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #34,759 of 100,711
Dec 28, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #34,761 of 100,711
That brings up lots of good drunken memories :D

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #34,762 of 100,711
Here is my end game circa Jr High school
th
This Panasonic Shockwave cassette player and shockwave XBASS headphones Definitely end game. I have yet to capture anything that comes close to that vibrating headphone with all that bass!

You know, jokes aside, quite often I get questions with people asking me if there is anything as good as their dying Clip+. They want the exact sound sig and similar footprint. A number of people still consider it as their end game. Well, kind of a discontinued long gone type of end game which they are looking to replace with something similar, and hoping to pay as much too :wink:

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #34,763 of 100,711
Oh yea I really think the idea of end game should be what one enjoys the most from a sound from what they have. You have to put a cap on sound expectations of course. I can't speak for others but. I personally make the best of whatever I have for the day. I take one of my daps and one or two of my phones before I leave the house. And I have to say whatever I have for that particular day is enjoyable and my escape from the day to day grind. My end game is whatever I am using. I don't remember thinking. Geeze maybe this track will sound better with this phone or with this dap. I just try n enjoy the tune with whatever I got. I actually feel sorry for people that has to analyze all the time their gears to the point they aren't actually enjoying what they are listening to.

People often have fond memories of stuff they used to listen to what was crazy good to them in the past and can't let go of that feeling even though the sonics was, lets be real here not your crazy high end source and phone.

I remember when I used to walk around with a Sony discman pumping Prodigy walking through my campus in College. To me at the time that was seriously as good as it got. Nothing on the planet sounded better.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #34,764 of 100,711
Well, proper forum etiquette is all. Bad form, even if true, to insult one's experience level and judgement. The old axiom applies, If you don't have something good to say then don't say anything at all.
The difference between tim0chan first post and his second is markedly different. The first was definitely flamatory the 2nd a bit more reasoned and explanatory. I get a feeling tim0chan is not a fan of end game type statements unless someone has heard many end game products. He might want to look through this thread before getting to frustrated though because the followers here like the BIG VIBE, it's part of what makes this thread work. It's not for everyone and some of us stay away when our wallets start to bleed to much but is definitely a fun place to hang out.

For me I generally make statements that are big but caged with limiters such as the best I have heard. But I, like DS have much bigger responsibilities in life than just chasing the next high end audio gear and feel no regret or remorse for not trying all of these exotic high end products. To be blunt they could be 10 times better than the best gear I have heard or owned it would not matter a wit if they cost more than $1000 because unless I win the lottery they will never be on my radar.

For me I bought the Z7 and Z5 several years ago and loved the hell out of them both and still love the hell out of my Z7. I wrote a glowing review for the Z7 and never pulled off a review of the Z5 even though I thought it was the better sounding of the 2 products. My reason for no review was simple. I didn't trust the reliability of the Z5 since my first pair died in less than 6 months and then ultimately the warranty replacement died a year plus later. For me this just was to damning for a product that cost $700 even if it was the best IEM I had ever heard. But you also have to like that sound, DS and I really do, I have a feeling tim0chan not so much...

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #34,766 of 100,711
All the chasing that last 5% some ksc75 and a rockboxed clip didn't quite reach... still haven't found it, and now most often listening to portaPros on an Opus1- time being a flat circle and whatnot :confounded:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #34,768 of 100,711
So in your expert opinion what do you think would blow the collective minds of everyone? Or do you care to share? I personally would like to be enlightened.
I dont think my opinion is expert but i felt that the z5 was muddy, even in balanced. I think something that would blow everyone's minds is thr it01 for the value.
Im just saying at z5 prices, many better things can be found.

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #34,769 of 100,711
@Dsnuts On a more productive note, did you get all your cables from 11.11 sale? Sorry im a minion and don't have moolah for either a chiron or a tia fourte
I dont have much moola too. Try getting a nice cable from a friendly diyer like:
https://sgaudiohive.com who has graciously extended his sale to the end of the year
Prices in sgd which is singapore dollars

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back