The discovery thread!
Nov 8, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #34,113 of 101,264
Been a fan of hybrid type cables myself lately. Best of both worlds. Gonna snap up on some cables this weekend.
Yupp my Triton is my first Hybrid and it's fantastic with the Lyra II. I "think" I can tell the difference between it and the cheap $30 Chinese one I was using.

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #34,114 of 101,264
My thoughts on the amazing LZ Big Dipper:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lz-big-dipper.22581/reviews

20170914_175628.jpg

Nov 8, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #34,115 of 101,264
I like the look of this cable...
New-1-2M-AUX-Cable-3-5mm-Male-to-3-5mm-Male-silver-plate-braided-Stereo.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...id=39382baa-4912-4f16-80b6-b580457d242c&tpp=1

Some more musings on the RT-1:

Used them on the commute today. Currently using Elecom hybrid tips. A few hours of burn in but seem to be a bit more balanced. Wider bore tips and large size tips can give a bit of flex with the Graphene driver though just inserting a bit slower eliminates it. They are capable of quite a bit higher than average isolation esp. if the RT-1's shape fit inside the ear well. That thick cable is a bit microphonic because of that though. A slider would help but there is none. Easy solve with some heat shrink since the small straight plug and Y will allow that shrink to go up the cable easily.

Now for the sound we have this graph from Penon...
2-700x700.JPG

And while I was thinking that the RT-1 is more of a "W" now as the bass boom goes away with tip or burn or combo of both. Not quite that graph though as that might seem a bit of a lack of seal. The W is there indeed but that treble representation, probably smoothed there, is probably not that high but more like that bass around 50Hz region is so more of a true W than that graph.

Impressive so far is the vocals lack of sibilance while still being quite vocal focused and articulate there. Bass reach is very good, treble is coming out more indeed than at first but rolls more than the bass does. graph is pretty close there. Treble isn't that extended but yet hides it quite well. Armature doing a nice job at being real, blending in and not trying to hard. Some hybrids push detail and get peaky or lack cohesion but here it works with the dynamic to blend in naturally and give a polite and real sounding highs. Can take a bit of boost yet may not need it depending on the gear. Again, not drawing too much focus but not smoothed or rolled where you ask "why is this a hybrid"? You can tell the armature is there and adds but tastefully so.

Liking the clarity with some thickness. Everything has good weight. Cymbals, vocals, guitars, drums. A bit more decay and weight but still no sibilance or excess smoothing. Have a feeling the right cable will push the RT-1 to higher technical ability for speed and detail but they are a really good outside earphone to have good isolation and a bit of a heavier sound to combat external noise nicely.

Think they are really shaping up a bit. Do like how they sound with the stock cable and they look beefy and impressive with it and the sheathing is silicone-like soft and comfy around the ears etc. still it isn't that light and doesn't let you forget it is there as other cables might. Not a love hate but more like a "really like but sometimes annoyed with" type of relation ship. Of course it can be swapped.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #34,116 of 101,264
I have my DM5 with me at work today and I have become a fan of graphene dynamics for bass. It seems to have some added substance for bass notes a bit of a plus on top of your standard dynamic drivers. From that graph it looks like sub bass should be on point with them RT-1s like it does on the DM5s. Will have to snap me up a silver pair soon to try out for myself.

The real fear there is with ALi day coming soon. Might end up spending more on cables than the earphones themselves. Lol. So they look like .75mm 2 pin variety and not the larger .78mm 2 pin on the Rt-1?

Nov 8, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #34,117 of 101,264
Yep, smaller/thinner pins will do the trick and not stretch the sockets.

RT-1 vs. CH1010
IMG_0531.JPG

Out of the box, CH1010 was a clear victor. Today not so much. Nearly caught up. In the end I'm certain they will match(and perhaps exceed) the strong and equally priced Japanese contender and the RT-1 can also go the balanced or upgrade cable route. :ksc75smile: This obviously makes them a match for the CH9T stock as well but the RT-1 have more of a mid/vocal focus than the Pioneer do which is a nice enough change while still being somewhat similar.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    893.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #34,118 of 101,264
Lots of disucssion about cables, so wanted to add one more. Meeaudio guys just released a Balanced mmcx cable, and it's a real treat. Similar to their premium SPC cable with the original Pinnacle P1, this is an updated version, lower impedance, and 2.5mm TRRS termination. What's cool about it, this cable comes with a set of L-shaped matching adapters for 3.5mm TRRS balanced, 3.5mm TRS single ended, and 4.4mm TRRRS Penticonn balanced. Pretty much you can use it with any/every source. http://www.meeaudio.com/CMB-BAL-SET

meeaudio_bal_cable-05.jpg meeaudio_bal_cable-10.jpg
meeaudio_bal_cable-11.jpg meeaudio_bal_cable-12.jpg

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #34,120 of 101,264
But, it's not compatible with the Pono...sob...

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #34,121 of 101,264
Lots of disucssion about cables, so wanted to add one more. Meeaudio guys just released a Balanced mmcx cable, and it's a real treat. Similar to their premium SPC cable with the original Pinnacle P1, this is an updated version, lower impedance, and 2.5mm TRRS termination. What's cool about it, this cable comes with a set of L-shaped matching adapters for 3.5mm TRRS balanced, 3.5mm TRS single ended, and 4.4mm TRRRS Penticonn balanced. Pretty much you can use it with any/every source. http://www.meeaudio.com/CMB-BAL-SET

very nice and beautiful cable ,

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #34,122 of 101,264

This is the way to do it!

These days I only buy balanced cables for my headphones and just switch adapter after what source I'm using. This saves a lot of money (and space) in the long run.

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #34,123 of 101,264
What? They only did half the job! Mee needs to think about the other side too :) Like here...
Original-AUGLAMOUR-AG1-BT-Wireless-Bluetooth-4-0-Bluetooth-Cable-HIFI-Dedicated-Cable-2Pin-MMCX-Cable.jpg

Make it also connect at the Y and swap for other connectors and not just MMCX lol! :grin: Truly modular and then AT owners, Senn IE owners, two pin people, the old M6Pro owners and other DC plug people, etc can all rejoice. Sell just a base pack with only the most popular MMCX and two pin and $20 separates as add-ons like FiiO does with amp modules. And get a Pono adapter separate for the front end as well.
:relieved:

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #34,124 of 101,264
What? They only did half the job! Mee needs to think about the other side too :) Like here...

Make it also connect at the Y and swap for other connectors and not just MMCX lol! :grin: Truly modular and then AT owners, Senn IE owners, two pin people, the old M6Pro owners and other DC plug people, etc can all rejoice. Sell just a base pack with only the most popular MMCX and two pin and $20 separates as add-ons like FiiO does with amp modules. And get a Pono adapter separate for the front end as well.
:relieved:
But thats not the way to make more money!

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #34,125 of 101,264
Well, I didn't say to do it all for the same $99 price :) I'd pay $159 for it if it did just that and could do both MMCX and two pin. Obviously it could make more money by selling more units to those two pin people who might buy but can't cause it won't fit. Two pin is actually making a bit of a comeback recently and has been on quite a few current earphones and, like in the Auglamour BT cable above, more are catering to it. In all seriousness, if they actually did it, no reason it wouldn't sell well enough to make them more money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back