The discovery thread!
May 22, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #36,272 of 100,439
Hmmm that's nice , i am seriously interested to see your thoughts about the HK6,
I'm going in with an open mind, have been out of the ChiFi game for about a year now lol

May 22, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #36,274 of 100,439
I went for the m0 dap considering that ultra portable size. Planning on using it while training also. Will post review on both HK6 and m0. Do you guys have any tips on DAC btw, pricerange 200-400$?

Mojo? Oppo? Other?

The Opus #11 is also very nice if you're looking for something portable with a battery.

Edit: My all time favorite portable dac/amp is the LH Labs Geek Out V2+ but I'm not even sure if it's still available. It was also quite expensive.

Off topic: Nice to see another Dalkarl in here. I was raised in Avesta myself and have spent quite a few evenings in Säterdalen in my youth (that was a long time ago :wink:).

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #36,275 of 100,439
Go with the graphs and don’t buy the hk6. One person says it matches the graphs. That persons hk6 is a dud imo since no one else’s sounds bad. Maybe buying the first one of the batch was bad instead of the other way around, lol.

May 22, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #36,276 of 100,439
Go with the graphs and don’t buy the hk6. One person says it matches the graphs. That persons hk6 is a dud imo since no one else’s sounds bad. Maybe buying the first one of the batch was bad instead of the other way around, lol.
LOLWUT? Was the first part sarcasm?

May 22, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #36,278 of 100,439
Really enjoying these at the moment...
IMG_0607.jpg

Takes me some time to really appreciate these...I don't have anything over $100 so the IT01 is the only thing I can compare it to. Bass on HK6 is very fast/tight, everything is crystal clear, smooth vocals, big and deep soundstage but not overdone. Apparently it's using Knowles BA's so this is a first time listening to these for me. It's ultra detailed with satisfying sparkle up top, more so than the IT01 which I felt had nice treble extension alerady. The biggest thing for me is the additional depth, layering, and resolution which was easier to tell with live instruments and vocals.

Listening to Malad - Chinese Man, starting monologue has great body, fullness to his voice. There is slight sibilance at higher volumes however, for example where he says "celebrate" among other parts, but it seems to be a byproduct of the brighter and detailed sound signature. It doesn't get to the point of harshness or fatiguing , but it's there for me, perhaps it will mellow out with further burn. It's more than made up by the larger perception of space and body in the drums throughout the song plus the higher resolution. IT01 has more sub-bass here, but the HK6 sounds more natural. In regards to that, I don't prefer one over the other, depends on the mood.

Good Mystery - Amber Rubarth, a recording showcasing live instruments and vocals working in space. What surprised me comes at the 15 second mark, some guy (not the singer) takes a couple breaths in the mic and never heard this before! My other IEMs sounded more like random noise. HK6 was detailed enough for me to instantly recognize the breath, likely male and perhaps with untrimmed nose hair?

May 22, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #36,279 of 100,439
Interested to see how the HK6 compares to my N40, I've done a lot of searching and can't figure out the brand of BA's in the N40, maybe an in-house design of AKG?

May 22, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #36,281 of 100,439
Go with the graphs and don’t buy the hk6. One person says it matches the graphs. That persons hk6 is a dud imo since no one else’s sounds bad.

I've considered a possibility that my HK6 is a dud. However, both sides sound and measure the same.
So if one of the BAs in one of the sides is faulty, the exact same BA must be faulty in the exact same way on the other side - what are the chances of that?
It is what it is - not a horrible IEM, just an overpriced one.

Take a look at this blast from the past:
upload_2018-5-23_3-32-36.png

Next to HK6 is HCK UEs, a double dynamic. I paid 17$ for it (including MMCX cable!) couple years ago.
It has much better bass with amazing sub-bass extension (that double dynamic really pays off), clearer mids with more natural timbre.
That sound in HK6's shell could be well worth 100-150$.
upload_2018-5-23_3-35-31.png

HCK UEs is in no danger of becoming my daily driver, but its value/price ratio is off the charts. Cable alone is worth its price.

Maybe buying the first one of the batch was bad instead of the other way around, lol.
When is it safe to buy a 200$ IEM? LOL.

May 22, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #36,283 of 100,439
Well I would love to have the IT04 in my ears but due to the delay in production. I can't say. I am gonna guess they have a wider stage and probably more pronounced bass end vs the HK6 but the rest of the sound I have no idea.

Really enjoying these at the moment...

Takes me some time to really appreciate these...I don't have anything over $100 so the IT01 is the only thing I can compare it to. Bass on HK6 is very fast/tight, everything is crystal clear, smooth vocals, big and deep soundstage but not overdone. Apparently it's using Knowles BA's so this is a first time listening to these for me. It's ultra detailed with satisfying sparkle up top, more so than the IT01 which I felt had nice treble extension alerady. The biggest thing for me is the additional depth, layering, and resolution which was easier to tell with live instruments and vocals.

Listening to Malad - Chinese Man, starting monologue has great body, fullness to his voice. There is slight sibilance at higher volumes however, for example where he says "celebrate" among other parts, but it seems to be a byproduct of the brighter and detailed sound signature. It doesn't get to the point of harshness or fatiguing , but it's there for me, perhaps it will mellow out with further burn. It's more than made up by the larger perception of space and body in the drums throughout the song plus the higher resolution. IT01 has more sub-bass here, but the HK6 sounds more natural. In regards to that, I don't prefer one over the other, depends on the mood.

Good Mystery - Amber Rubarth, a recording showcasing live instruments and vocals working in space. What surprised me comes at the 15 second mark, some guy (not the singer) takes a couple breaths in the mic and never heard this before! My other IEMs sounded more like random noise. HK6 was detailed enough for me to instantly recognize the breath, likely male and perhaps with untrimmed nose hair?

Excellent impression. You are hearing a full bodied mid section with layers of sound. It is something cheaper dynamics have a more difficult time reproducing. I am certain they will grow on you more and more.

The more dimensional and well recorded a track is the more impressed you will be with how the HK6 displays that sound.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #36,284 of 100,439
Fair enough.

My argument just happens to be that graphs or not, I hear these to be very good. No bloated bass, no shrill highs, male and female vocals sound good, etc. Yes $200 isn’t cheap but $200 based on reviews from people you trust is safe for me. I’d love to experience this sound for cheaper so please keep the suggestions coming. I’ll be the first to admit this hobby is loaded with overpriced gear and I’ve been burned more then once but not the HK6. This thing sounds fantastic.

May 22, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #36,285 of 100,439
Fair enough.

My argument just happens to be that graphs or not, I hear these to be very good. No bloated bass, no shrill highs, male and female vocals sound good, etc. Yes $200 isn’t cheap but $200 based on reviews from people you trust is safe for me. I’d love to experience this sound for cheaper so please keep the suggestions coming. I’ll be the first to admit this hobby is loaded with overpriced gear and I’ve been burned more then once but not the HK6. This thing sounds fantastic.
I'll put this out there again because it deserves more attention: The Hifi Boy OSV3. Don't be fooled by the name - this is a seriously good and mature IEM.

DSC_1614-1.jpg OSV3-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back