The discovery thread!
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #37,531 of 100,246
It is amazing what tone Toneking manages to pull out of the knowles 31618 BA. They're the closest BA I've ever heard to a dynamic driver. I'm still still blown away by the T4 and T66s and can't wait for my T88k to arrive. The T66s uses the same low, mid and high drivers as the t88k, but the t88k has an additional 30017 for the highs. Please share more of your impressions of these!

I hope you will share a comparison between the T4, T66, and T88 (and T2, if you have one). I am having a hard time deciding between the four of them. They all look great!

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #37,532 of 100,246
I recently purchased the nicehck hk6 from a fellow headfi member for 110.00 because I've read alot about them and wanted to compare them with my recent Toneking purchases. I didn't want to rush my comparison, so I gave them over a week of ear time to get fully familiar with their tuning. I know several people already own the hk6, so hopefully this will of some help.
First off, the hk6 uses a combination of knowles amd chinese BA's and that is apparent all throughout their sound. I find the the hk6 to sound pretty good and balanced throughout the whole frequency range. The upper mid range gets me though, as I hear a slight grain or unrefinement at the end and beginning of notes. I was able to smooth the sound out by using comply foam tips though. By itself, I find the hk6 to be decently tuned, but they're rather unrefined in comparison to the Toneking T66s. The hk6 are very lightweight to hold in my hand but feel cheaper made. The T66s are larger in size and filled, so they're heavier and seem to be much more quality.
The T66s sound more natural and lifelike to my ears, from the kick drum the whole way to the hitting of the high hat cymbals. Just crystal clear details and with a natural decay. The hk6 sound more artificial in comparison and the drum instrument really showcases exactly what I mean. The cymbal hits have an almost tizzy, digital sound to them.
I enjoyed my time listening to the hk6 and thought they were pretty good overall after I had acclimated myself to their sound. It was stunning though how quickly that changed once I put the T66s back in my ears after a week of using the hk6 exclusively.
I paid around 300.00 for my T66s and the hk6 retail in that range as well. I would be PISSED if I would've paid full retail for the hk6, but am happy with them for the 110.00 I paid. These 2 earphones aren't even in the same league and are several tiers apart. The tuning isn't drastically different, but it's the refinement and technical abilities of the T66s that sets them so far apart. As of now, the T66s are the very best I've ever had the pleasure to own, let alone listen to and they aren't even to my optimal sound preferences. I actually prefer a more neutral sound, rather than a musical and fun signature.
I hope I'm not misunderstood with what I'm trying to convey here. It's not that the hk6 are that bad, but rather that the T66s are that GOOD. I hope more people eventually give these new Toneking all BA earphones a chance and can find as much musical enjoyment as I have. At the end of the day, that's what its all about.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #37,533 of 100,246
I hope you will share a comparison between the T4, T66, and T88 (and T2, if you have one). I am having a hard time deciding between the four of them. They all look great!
I will definitely do that! I've been thinking of doing some sort of a Toneking comparison review once I get the flagship T88k in.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #37,534 of 100,246
I will definitely do that! I've been thinking of doing some sort of a Toneking comparison review once I get the flagship T88k in.

Thanks! I have the same problem with Toneking as I do with TFZ: I want them all! Toneking is worse though, because they have a much wider variety of driver types and set-ups. There's no other company where I am considering earbuds and IEMs, single DD and multi-BA set-ups at the same time.

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #37,535 of 100,246
Thanks! I have the same problem with Toneking as I do with TFZ: I want them all! Toneking is worse though, because they have a much wider variety of driver types and set-ups. There's no other company where I am considering earbuds and IEMs, single DD and multi-BA set-ups at the same time.
Lol, I know exactly what you mean. I was blissfully unaware and happy with what I had before. Then I bought the nine tails and fell in love. Then i saw the all new BA line and was curious, and now the rest is history, haha.

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #37,536 of 100,246
Lol, I know exactly what you mean. I was blissfully unaware and happy with what I had before. Then I bought the nine tails and fell in love. Then i saw the all new BA line and was curious, and now the rest is history, haha.

Maybe TFZ and Toneking could do a subscription service where they just send you whatever they released that month and then you just mail it back in later for the next thing. Instead of Netflix, they could call it Chi-fix. I'd sign up. lol

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #37,537 of 100,246
I recently purchased the nicehck hk6 from a fellow headfi member for 110.00 because I've read alot about them and wanted to compare them with my recent Toneking purchases. I didn't want to rush my comparison, so I gave them over a week of ear time to get fully familiar with their tuning. I know several people already own the hk6, so hopefully this will of some help.
First off, the hk6 uses a combination of knowles amd chinese BA's and that is apparent all throughout their sound. I find the the hk6 to sound pretty good and balanced throughout the whole frequency range. The upper mid range gets me though, as I hear a slight grain or unrefinement at the end and beginning of notes. I was able to smooth the sound out by using comply foam tips though. By itself, I find the hk6 to be decently tuned, but they're rather unrefined in comparison to the Toneking T66s. The hk6 are very lightweight to hold in my hand but feel cheaper made. The T66s are larger in size and filled, so they're heavier and seem to be much more quality.
The T66s sound more natural and lifelike to my ears, from the kick drum the whole way to the hitting of the high hat cymbals. Just crystal clear details and with a natural decay. The hk6 sound more artificial in comparison and the drum instrument really showcases exactly what I mean. The cymbal hits have an almost tizzy, digital sound to them.
I enjoyed my time listening to the hk6 and thought they were pretty good overall after I had acclimated myself to their sound. It was stunning though how quickly that changed once I put the T66s back in my ears after a week of using the hk6 exclusively.
I paid around 300.00 for my T66s and the hk6 retail in that range as well. I would be PISSED if I would've paid full retail for the hk6, but am happy with them for the 110.00 I paid. These 2 earphones aren't even in the same league and are several tiers apart. The tuning isn't drastically different, but it's the refinement and technical abilities of the T66s that sets them so far apart. As of now, the T66s are the very best I've ever had the pleasure to own, let alone listen to and they aren't even to my optimal sound preferences. I actually prefer a more neutral sound, rather than a musical and fun signature.
I hope I'm not misunderstood with what I'm trying to convey here. It's not that the hk6 are that bad, but rather that the T66s are that GOOD. I hope more people eventually give these new Toneking all BA earphones a chance and can find as much musical enjoyment as I have. At the end of the day, that's what its all about.

You need to save your cash and go IT04. These would fit your preference for sound.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #37,538 of 100,246
Hopefully not, hopefully the BGVP DMG are as impressive as the hype and he won't need to spend the additional $250.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #37,539 of 100,246
Kinera IDUN vs Kinera H3... WHY?!?!?!? Seriously why? It's so confusing with the endless new models each every time someone at KZ/TRN/BGVP/NiceHCK/ToneKing farts... Then have someone like Kinera, I can't tell what's the difference between their own models.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #37,540 of 100,246
Speaking toneking. You guys see this?

HTB1MtRfay6guuRjy1Xdq6yAwpXal.jpg

Toneking TK10. Seems the are upping the driver count. 10 BAs

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #37,541 of 100,246
Someone at ToneKing had a huge fart huh? Hope he didn't crap his pants. I'm sure someone else on his team will fart out a T1010, and someone else really will crap his pants full of TS8, and TS10 immediately after.

What's the difference between T, TS and TK series? I know TK is more expensive than T, and T is more expensive than TS.

What I'm most confused about, as I expect the Toneking T10 to be around $300, why is the Hisenior B5+ only $100? I expect it will be Knowles BA, same as Hisenior, but have semi-custom shell shape, both acrylic, so what's up?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #37,542 of 100,246
Speaking toneking. You guys see this?

HTB1MtRfay6guuRjy1Xdq6yAwpXal.jpg

Toneking TK10. Seems the are upping the driver count. 10 BAs
I talked with the seller about these. He says they're using the same drivers as the t88k, with an additional chinese made 30017. That makes it knowles 31618 for bass, and 30265 for mids and 3-30017 for treble. I'm not sure about the stores authenticity though, because Mr Z (the actual Toneking owner and tuning master)says he's not made a T10k at all, not is he developing one. The store also has "Toneking hybrid" that uses the same shell as the T4, T66s and T88k. I will only purchase from the official Toneking store and hotfi, as they're official distributors for Toneking.

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #37,543 of 100,246
You need to save your cash and go IT04. These would fit your preference for sound.
These do have me curious and I'd like to try them at some point. I'm to happy with my current gear to do a blind 500.00 purchase though.
Edit- I'd be very interested in an IT04 tour! Someone hit me up via pm if you know of any of them happening or about to happen.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #37,544 of 100,246
These do have me curious and I'd like to try them at some point. I'm to happy with my current gear to do a blind 500.00 purchase.

Looking forward to your BGVP DMG review/impressions, compared to your ToneKing T4, as I'm thinking my next IEM will be that unless TRN releases something exciting to compete.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #37,545 of 100,246
My man,
Thank you bro!

I did a side by side with the Bravado which i love.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird (Live One more from the Road)
Fleetwood Mac - Gold Dust Woman
M.J. - Wanna Be Startin Somethin/ Beat it/ Billie Jean
Steely Dan - "Hey Nineteen"
Led Zep - "Since I've Been loving You"

Running balanced out a A&K SE100 (a DAP that cost twice what it's worth but the sound is clean and U.I. great....worthless EQ)

These ABCDEFG's sound exceptional. Makes you ponder deep questions like:

Is the $300-____ zone a trap that sometimes hoovers money out the wallet doing nothing more than some budget gear can do for 1/2 the price?
Is ABCDEFG lucky...or good? (Didn't like the earbuds at all)

Hope your Summer was not as hot as mine. Japan was a freakin oven this year :frowning2:
When will you post up your comparison video? :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back