The discovery thread!
Dec 22, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #34,696 of 100,563
I had a better experience crowd funding Pono and Peachtree DeepBlue2, but, after LH Labs, I think I'm done with crowd funding as well.

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #34,697 of 100,563
I would be tempted by a $250ish IE80S but would love one that came with standard and smartphone cables...

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #34,698 of 100,563
It’s consumer sound but not bloated or bad in any way. Nice and even. Vocals come through fine, treble is relaxed and is not super bass heavy. Bass is fairly tight too. I use an iPhone with good quality files which probably helps. Much better then I expected for bt.

Thanks @DannyBai. Looking to auditon them together with he RHA MA650 Wireless if possible and see how they compares. Btw, anyone had heard the RHA?

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #34,700 of 100,563
I think things are actually moving at LH Labs.... also possible project with Campfire Audio...

I hope they can find a way to release their next products through retail instead of crowdfunding.

BTW, according to official statement the Campfire collab is long aborted, somehow an early prototype was accidentally shown by a foreign distributor.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #34,701 of 100,563
Yes, I heard the Campfire collaboration was off as well. My point was that LH Labs is trying to get other projects and lines of business going, and to do that they need to clean up the mess left with the old backers. I don't think they can pull it off unless they deliver everything they promised, and what they deliver is a very fine product. Just my take, don't have proof or inside information.

Dec 23, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #34,702 of 100,563
Yes, I heard the Campfire collaboration was off as well. My point was that LH Labs is trying to get other projects and lines of business going, and to do that they need to clean up the mess left with the old backers. I don't think they can pull it off unless they deliver everything they promised, and what they deliver is a very fine product. Just my take, don't have proof or inside information.

When and How did the collab happened?

Dec 23, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #34,703 of 100,563
I don't know of any definite collaborations, just rumors about talks...

Dec 23, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #34,704 of 100,563
Thanks. These appear to be shorter versions of the silicone tips that came with my IEMs. Who sells them?

BTW, I've tried all the sizes of silicone tips that came with them, and none of them make proper seal. I think the fact that the cable goes over the ear actually causes the tips to not sit properly inside my ear canals. These are my first IEMs that are designed to be worn over the ear... either I am doing something wrong or I should be staying away from such IEMs as they may be incompatible with my ears...
I had the same problem with these. Switching the right left earpieces and wearing them with the cable down made no difference. I think it may have to do with the nozzles being short, and having no lip or ledge to make the tips sit forward more....maybe. I tried the medium-large size Spiral Dots I have, and it was better, but still not very good. I had the best luck with the flat, wide- wider than the Spiral Dots- tips that come with the Fiio EX1 II. They almost worked, but not quite. So, I don't know, maybe the largest sized Spiral dot, or wide double flange tips with upper flanges small enough to enter the ear canal will work.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #34,705 of 100,563
These cables from Penon Audio look really good for the price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hig...Cable-2-5mm-Balanced-Version/32839862233.html
Screenshot_21.jpg

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #34,706 of 100,563
OK, been using the WI1000X for a couple days now and starting really like them. Signature wise they are not as big sounding as the Z5 but this means they are actually a bit more balanced sounding. The Z5 had that big sound but it actually made it occasionally sound off or over cooked in the bass and the mids always seemed a bit to husky for female singers like Diana Krall or Patricia Barber. Based off memory I would say they sound a lot like the MDR-7550 which is one IEM I wish I never sold to upgrade to the MDR-EX1000. It has a similar relaxed treble that might be more in between the 7550 and EX1000 which is right where I like my treble. But the bass still goes deep enough that my most bass oriented songs sound very full and complete.

The Aptx HD also allows the closest sound to a wired device I have heard.

So what is surprising me the most? I really like all 3 states ANC, non ANC, and Ambient mode. All 3 have the exact same signature! Ambient mode is great at home where it is better to hear my wife calling my name! I suspect it will be on when in the office too... The thing is it can be set to enhance talking so I can here when someone is talking to me. But aside from enhancing voices I get isolation from other sounds so I can still enjoy my music. If I am in a quiet environment I can then turn off both ANC and Ambient mode and get the best possible music quality. Or when in noisy environments like transit I can add in the ANC for a more private experience.

I have not had time to play with the wired connection so will have to get back on how well it works.

I have taken a couple calls and they work nicely. I actually like the vibrate feature for incoming calls and may turn off the ringer on my phone saving me embarrassment in meetings.

The neck ring simply disappears when wearing these. I wear them literally all day and forget they are there.

So one negative. The cable gets pretty stiff outside in the cold so pulls on my ears which is distracting. But there is enough cable I can wear them over ear so will try that next time I am outside.

While on the expensive side so far I have ZERO regrets.

Dec 24, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #34,707 of 100,563
Speaking of the Sony 7550, I have them in my ears right now and got damn are they good. Black background, so spacious, huge soundstage, awesome vocals, airy, excellent timbre...and this sort of delicate, articulate touch that I'm having a hard time putting into words.

I'm using them with foam because at first there was some sibilance on certain tracks. I may have burned that away by now, who knows.

SQ wise, I like them better then all of my chi-fi stuff, including the Fiio F9.

Also, has the paint started coming off on anyone else's DM5?

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #34,708 of 100,563
The 7550 is the one IEM I wish a never traded or sold away. I wish had it to properly compare the WI1000X to. From memory I think the 7550 would edge the WI1000X in sound stage size but have a slightly less holographic image. Signature wise the WI1000X is thicker in the bass and goes deeper and the mids are probably a bit warmer but they have similar treble. The WI1000X signature lies somewhere between the Z5 and the 7550 and definitely has the Sony house sound. I have only been using these since I got them and really did miss this type of signature. I kept trying to convince myself that other IEM's were as good as or better but in the end I just needed an new higher end Sony product to fill the hole left when my Z5 died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back