The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Sep 12, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #17,191 of 35,332

I think the universal opinion is the "i" series is a step up from the "e" series.  

You mean this reversed right?

I'd say the 325e is a step up from the 325i, and far and away the best of any of the sub $300 Grados. For what it's worth, I also thought the 325e was far better than the RS-1e.

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #17,194 of 35,332
Yay, go for Pono!

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #17,195 of 35,332

Buysonic beats it at $81.

I notice that on Amazon most of the older Grado "i" versions are selling for more than the new "e" versions.....is this just dead cat bounce...or are the older versions preferred by a lot of folks?

Also, is there a generally considered "sweet spot" in the $300 and under Grados...best bang for the buck.   I know this is slightly off topic, but I have never owned a Grado and am intrigued.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly after the "e" was released, there were some very good deals on the supplanted "i's".  Many were featured on this thread.  This week I just got a good deal on an I Grado (using SR 60i [?] drivers).  However, all were gone before I could post it here.

I strongly suspect that now that there are only a relatively few new "i's" left, sellers are hoping to get premium prices for them.  From what I can tell from following the issue, only the RS-1i is considered superior to its replacement by a majority (I'm one of them)of those who have heard the two and offered an opinion.  However, there are some who prefer the "i" versions of various other models over their "e" successors.

For just under $300 the SR 325e is the Grado to get.  I have not yet heard the almost equally price Alessandro MS-2 version based on 325e.  I preferred the "i" Alessandro MS-2 over the 325i, mostly because its treble was tamed a bit in comparison from the Grado.

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #17,196 of 35,332

Isn't that the one with no screen so you can't tell what's playing next?  Does it have a line out and coax out?  How about two microSD ports?  Can it act as a USB DAC/Amp?

It sounds good... that's all I need. It did only cost $140 too... As for the DAC/amp, I concede to you.

C'mon, maybe in terms of sq the alien has a one up but in anything else the alien is a one trick pony.

I'll take "one trick pony" if it's in terms of SQ. What happened to the Tera player?

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #17,197 of 35,332

No. The "e" series is the current series. The "i" series is the prior series. Most reviewers like the "e" better. Many people find the grado's too hot in the treble, so the "e" series attempted to tame the treble a little. 

Actually, I think it's the RS1i that is preferred over the RS1e

At any rate, the only way to tell if you like them is to listen. Both series have the signature Grado sound, so listening to almost any grado will give you an idea of the signature.

In general, the -e series is preferred to the -i series of Grados, but there are exceptions.  Folks prefer the RS1i (which at one time was the top of the Grado line) to at least all but the most recent versions of the RS1e (weasel wording because the most recent RS1e has the driver flush, not protruding, from the ear cup and is found to sound better than most of the RS1e line, where it protrudes and even touches some ears).

There is an on-going test right now on the current top of the line, PS1000 vs. PS1000e, where several Grado experts have both and are comparing them.  Seems to be about 50-50 preference on that (see PS1000 thread).

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #17,198 of 35,332

No. The "e" series is the current series. The "i" series is the prior series. Most reviewers like the "e" better. Many people find the grado's too hot in the treble, so the "e" series attempted to tame the treble a little. 

Actually, I think it's the RS1i that is preferred over the RS1e

At any rate, the only way to tell if you like them is to listen. Both series have the signature Grado sound, so listening to almost any grado will give you an idea of the signature.

In general, the -e series is preferred to the -i series of Grados, but there are exceptions.  Folks prefer the RS1i (which at one time was the top of the Grado line) to at least all but the most recent versions of the RS1e (weasel wording because the most recent RS1e has the driver flush, not protruding, from the ear cup and is found to sound better than most of the RS1e line, where it protrudes and even touches some ears).

There is an on-going test right now on the current top of the line, PS1000 vs. PS1000e, where several Grado experts have both and are comparing them.  Seems to be about 50-50 preference on that (see PS1000 thread).

I was hoping for some enlightenment from our resident Grado Guru! :smiley:

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #17,199 of 35,332
Sep 13, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #17,200 of 35,332
Sep 13, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #17,201 of 35,332
Sep 13, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #17,202 of 35,332
I was hoping for some enlightenment from our resident Grado Guru! :smiley:

I blew the mind of a bunch of Grado gurus at a local meet. Everyone was gushing over my custom Grados, comparing them to top-level models.

... Then they found out they were just iGrados shoved into wood cups, and stuffed with cheapo polyfill. I think they liked it since it no longer sounded like a Grado.

When they found out what I paid...

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #17,203 of 35,332
I blew the mind of a bunch of Grado gurus at a local meet. Everyone was gushing over my custom Grados, comparing them to top-level models.

... Then they found out they were just iGrados shoved into wood cups, and stuffed with cheapo polyfill. I think they liked it since it no longer sounded like a Grado.

When they found out what I paid...

Expectation bias and the placebo effect does that sometimes (all the time).  It's why people think Beats sound great and why people on Head-fi keep saying that there's a huge difference in very similar headphones.  It's also responsible for headphone and audio equipment manufacturers making everything super expensive and making schiit like this:

"Elevate" indeed.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #17,204 of 35,332
Expectation bias and the placebo effect does that sometimes (all the time).  It's why people think Beats sound great and why people on Head-fi keep saying that there's a huge difference in very similar headphones.  It's also responsible for headphone and audio equipment manufacturers making everything super expensive and making schiit like this:

"Elevate" indeed.

LOL, I'm calling shenanigans on this one. No way!

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #17,205 of 35,332
LOL, I'm calling shenanigans on this one. No way!

it works freals. i was totally elevated after I bought x100 of them for every section of my cables. you can't have any gaps or else it won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back