The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #5,026 of 12,546
Hi there,

I've got a pair of DT800 for quite some years now and they have extremely low hours on them.

It must have been a full year since I've put them on, and to my surprise the head band is sticky!!!

I've tried to clean it but it seems it's the material that is disolving. It so strange as I've always kept it inside the beyerdynamic suitcase with a anti-humidity bag inside.

Either way the problem is here.

Can any of you folks help me on how can I solve this problem?

Can I order a new headband? Any other way of solving this?

Have you ever encounter similar problem?

Thanks

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #5,027 of 12,546
  Hi there,

I've got a pair of DT800 for quite some years now and they have extremely low hours on them.

It must have been a full year since I've put them on, and to my surprise the head band is sticky!!!

I've tried to clean it but it seems it's the material that is disolving. It so strange as I've always kept it inside the beyerdynamic suitcase with a anti-humidity bag inside.

Thanks

I'd like to know too as my head band was sticky... after a while it un sticked? but it took some hair with it 

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #5,028 of 12,546
  Hi there,

Thanks

I've heard of that happening before in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/532889/physical-problem-with-beyer-dt990

It was with a DT990, but the band will be identical.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #5,029 of 12,546
Oct 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #5,031 of 12,546
Wow

Mine isn't had bad. But I do confirm that I got my hands with paint and. It's quite hard to remove.

I'm screwed so it seems...

My warranty as long been gone...

I'll email beyerdynamic.

Meh I never felt it was a big deal... it was never un comforatble just annoying. But they should have repalcement head bands for sale 

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #5,032 of 12,546
Just noticing the little Canadian connection at tis point in the thread. Thanks for the info Chris J, but I still wonder about this aspect of things. Given that the headphone resistance shouldn't be a huge factor in the obtained SPL level, if all those 880 versions are the same sensitivity (which I am not sure if they are), would you not expect them to require fairly similar voltages to achieve the same volume? If not I would have to assume that the resistance is the major factor at play here.

Canajun, eh?

Efficiency is an expression of power usage, or how much electrical power is converted into acoustic power or SPL.
The 32, 250 and 600 Ohm versions:
They are the same efficiency, i.e. they need the same amount of power to reach the same SPL.

Sensivitity is an expression of voltage required.
Voltage is directly related to the position of your volume control.
The sensitivities of the 32, 250 and 600 Ohm versions are different, the 600 Ohm needs a lot more voltage than the 32 Ohm to reach the same SPL.

Headphone amplifiers are actually voltage amplfiers, the gain is voltage gain.
A headphone amplifier will output voltage if a signal is present whether headphones are plugged in or not,
The amplfier only outputs power when headphones are plugged in.

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #5,033 of 12,546
I just thought I'd add some thoughts on the DT880s.

I've had them for a few weeks now, but only just got them hooked up to the Schiit Modi/Magni.

I've just listened to Roger Water's "Amused To Death" which is a great test.  It's beautifully recorded, and listening to a lossless file, I'm even more impressed. The soundstage is phenomenal compared to my other headphones. I appreciate that none of my other phones are particularly great, but for £200 I'm seriously wondering of there's anything to beat these headphones.  Bass is tight, and fast, but beautifully deep when needed.   Cymbal crashes are sharp without being "glassy"..  ride cymbals are melodic and detailed;  snare drums are fast and up front...   Claire Torry's vocal work is even the best I've ever head it (I've yet to listen to her vocals on Floyd's Dark Side with this set up, but they're fantastic on this album).  The crowd's singing in "Perfect Sense Part II" is clearly defined, which is something that has eluded every other headphone and speaker I've ever owned.

The novelty of new stuff wears off pretty fast with me, but I'm loving these more each day.

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #5,034 of 12,546
  I just thought I'd add some thoughts on the DT880s.

I've had them for a few weeks now, but only just got them hooked up to the Schiit Modi/Magni.

I've just listened to Roger Water's "Amused To Death" which is a great test.  It's beautifully recorded, and listening to a lossless file, I'm even more impressed. The soundstage is phenomenal compared to my other headphones. I appreciate that none of my other phones are particularly great, but for £200 I'm seriously wondering of there's anything to beat these headphones.  Bass is tight, and fast, but beautifully deep when needed.   Cymbal crashes are sharp without being "glassy"..  ride cymbals are melodic and detailed;  snare drums are fast and up front...   Claire Torry's vocal work is even the best I've ever head it (I've yet to listen to her vocals on Floyd's Dark Side with this set up, but they're fantastic on this album).  The crowd's singing in "Perfect Sense Part II" is clearly defined, which is something that has eluded every other headphone and speaker I've ever owned.

The novelty of new stuff wears off pretty fast with me, but I'm loving these more each day.

I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 which cost about as much as the DT880, give or take a few quid.
I prefer the DT880s!
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #5,035 of 12,546

I've heard of that happening before in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/532889/physical-problem-with-beyer-dt990

It was with a DT990, but the band will be identical.

I should also mention this was with my Preium... I don't remember either of my Pros having any issues and I had them for a year...

still not a huge deal. I lost some hair then it stopped

Yes. I wonder if the Pro headband cover fits the premium models. That would certainly solve the problem.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #5,036 of 12,546
Hey everybody, my DT880 (250ohm) is almost here, and I unfortunately can't afford decent amplification (or even a DAC) until at least xmas. Anyhow, I have a clip zip (rockboxed and using the Meier crossfeed option), and a PA2V2. I don't ever use the PA2V2 with my KRK KNS 8400 because I am skeptical about double-amping. But I know I will have to use the PA2V2 with the clip zip if I wanted decent volume without any distortion. 

So, I am thinking about lowering the precut on my clip zip in order to keep my volume right dead at zero (I don't go above zero because I worry about distortion, and my precut is generally between -10 and -15 decibels... I like to listen at rather moderate volumes, especially when walking), and not lose any of the bits of data that are lost when lowering volume. I do this already with my KRK KNS 8400, but am thinking I may have to lower the precut even further with my DT880 (250ohm), even when connecting to my PA2V2. 

So, my question is this: Am I in any way going to cause distortion or a loss of fidelity with the aforementioned tactic? From what I know the PA2V2 measures flat (don't know this for a fact though), albeit a bit warm. 

I'm hoping to grab an ODAC and O2 (as separate components) around xmas (probably gonna buy used, cause, well why not? :)

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #5,037 of 12,546
So, my question is this: Am I in any way going to cause distortion or a loss of fidelity with the aforementioned tactic? From what I know the PA2V2 measures flat (don't know this for a fact though), albeit a bit warm.   
I'm hoping to grab an ODAC and O2 (as separate components) around xmas (probably gonna buy used, cause, well why not? :)

I always ran my Clip+ at 0dB on it's scale to whatever amp I had it plugged into, as that was supposed to be the closest to line out levels. I never encountered any clipping or distortion through either my E11 or E17.

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #5,038 of 12,546
  Oh yea watching some NET FLIX and WHOA... that DT 880 bass YEA BABY, seriously though guys BALANCE YOUR DT 880 it's gets a nice Visceral bass boost! We are not talking more quanity but DEEPER TIGHTER more controlled [and some what forward bass] either way, Net Flix [watching Season 1 of the Arrow] just switched to a Club Scene with some kickin bass! I was a happy camper at that moment <3 Bass was perfecto! 

Well I ran this clip through the Little Dot MK IV with my 6CS6 tubes installed, the FiiO E17/E09K Combo and the Burson Conductor SL with the ESS 9018 DAC board installed as I don't care much for the PCM 1793 board, it sounds a little to flat to me.

After a little bit of talking in the middle, he brings a Bass player in for a small jam.
Don't forget to bring it up to 720P for the best sound....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGBIE5cqfQ

I ran both headphones through all the amps with the same cable, I used my cable from the DT880's and plugged it into the LCD's when I switched.

It's not fair to include the tubes into the mix as they have a totally different sound that is very enjoyable but the furthest thing from analytical or neutral.

The bass on the LCD's has a lot more impact than the DT880's do, when he hits that kick drum you feel it. The ride cymbal has an excellent shimmer and it's bell has a nice clean sound.
The DT880's reproduce the above video very well, but there seems to me anyway that there is so much more detail in the LCD's. I am not an analytical listener by any means, and am not up to par on describing subtle nuances in sound. The easiest way I can compare the two is the DT880's sound like a 320K V0 MP3 done well and 99% of the people out there couldn't tell the difference between it and the same in a FLAC rip. The LCD's on the other hand are pure 24/96...

Now I need to find some tracks that will show a night and day difference between the E17/E09K and the Conductor SL cause at this moment I am not hearing a lot of difference, except the FiiO combo is a bit darker in it's sound with the E17 set to it's flat Line Out Bypass setting.

Rush's Xanadu sounds absolutely amazing on the LCD's, sorry just had to throw that in there... 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #5,039 of 12,546
  I always ran my Clip+ at 0dB on it's scale to whatever amp I had it plugged into, as that was supposed to be the closest to line out levels. I never encountered any clipping or distortion through either my E11 or E17.

0db on the volume switch, or 0db on the precut? If I run at 0db on the precut, and 0db on the volume, and then connect to an amp, I will blow my own head off once I push the PA2V2's volume knob past the area of channel imbalance (which only occurs at like 7-8 o'clock). 

Thanks for your response by the way.

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #5,040 of 12,546
So this probably came up before but I didn't really wanna read 300+ pages of stuff...But can anyone here recable the dt880s to 4pin xlr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back