The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 29, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #5,041 of 12,546
I'm sure you cold have this place do it. Not cheap though. Or try it on your own.

http://www.zynsonix.com/Recables.htm

Sent from XT912 / CM10.2

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #5,042 of 12,546
So this probably came up before but I didn't really wanna read 300+ pages of stuff...But can anyone here recable the dt880s to 4pin xlr?
Check with BTG Audio, nice work and very reasonable prices.
http://www.btg-audio.com

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #5,043 of 12,546
0db on the volume switch, or 0db on the precut? If I run at 0db on the precut, and 0db on the volume, and then connect to an amp, I will blow my own head off once I push the PA2V2's volume knob past the area of channel imbalance (which only occurs at like 7-8 o'clock). 

Thanks for your response by the way.
Sorry never played with any of the precut setting, 0dB on the volume control straight out to an amp, if it gets too loud at 7-8 o'clock plugged into the amp, then for the headphones you were using you didn't need the second amp.
You will find a different story with the 250 Ohm headphones though.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #5,044 of 12,546
Well I ran this clip through the Little Dot MK IV with my 6CS6 tubes installed, the FiiO E17/E09K Combo and the Burson Conductor SL with the ESS 9018 DAC board installed as I don't care much for the PCM 1793 board, it sounds a little to flat to me.

After a little bit of talking in the middle, he brings a Bass player in for a small jam.
Don't forget to bring it up to 720P for the best sound....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGBIE5cqfQ

I ran both headphones through all the amps with the same cable, I used my cable from the DT880's and plugged it into the LCD's when I switched.

It's not fair to include the tubes into the mix as they have a totally different sound that is very enjoyable but the furthest thing from analytical or neutral.

The bass on the LCD's has a lot more impact than the DT880's do, when he hits that kick drum you feel it. The ride cymbal has an excellent shimmer and it's bell has a nice clean sound.
The DT880's reproduce the above video very well, but there seems to me anyway that there is so much more detail in the LCD's. I am not an analytical listener by any means, and am not up to par on describing subtle nuances in sound. The easiest way I can compare the two is the DT880's sound like a 320K V0 MP3 done well and 99% of the people out there couldn't tell the difference between it and the same in a FLAC rip. The LCD's on the other hand are pure 24/96...
Great comparision. How much longer do you have the LCDs(2 or 3?) for? I felt the same way when I first listened to the T90s. When the 880s were all I had, I thought that was right up there with the big boys. What more could I need? Then I put on the T90s and it made me feel like I was listening through closed doors. The clarity, detail, and openness just... blew the doors open. Now I'm ignorantly blissful at the tier I'm on. :dt880smile:

Now I need to find some tracks that will show a night and day difference between the E17/E09K and the Conductor SL cause at this moment I am not hearing a lot of difference, except the FiiO combo is a bit darker in it's sound with the E17 set to it's flat Line Out Bypass setting.

Rush's Xanadu sounds absolutely amazing on the LCD's, sorry just had to throw that in there...  :D  
:beerchug:  
I'd imagine that it's the E09K being darker. Comparing the dac portion of the E17 w/ the Aune T1 and E10, T1 and E17 were about neutral. E10 was darker than the other two.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #5,045 of 12,546
Great comparision. How much longer do you have the LCDs(2 or 3?) for? I felt the same way when I first listened to the T90s. When the 880s were all I had, I thought that was right up there with the big boys. What more could I need? Then I put on the T90s and it made me feel like I was listening through closed doors. The clarity, detail, and openness just... blew the doors open. Now I'm ignorantly blissful at the tier I'm on.
dt880smile.png

I'd imagine that it's the E09K being darker. Comparing the dac portion of the E17 w/ the Aune T1 and E10, T1 and E17 were about neutral. E10 was darker than the other two.

Thanks!
They are the LCD 3's and I get to enjoy the audio bliss for another two weeks and will that time ever fly by quickly. I'd love to hear the LCD 2's to see if there is a $1K difference... I don't imagine I could tell but some would sure be able too.

Yes I assume it is the amp in the E09K that adds the darkness just like the E10, the separate DAC's themselves should be quite similar, I'll have to try the Conductor's Line Out and the E17's Line Out directly into the MK IV just for schiit's and giggles.

Now we just need a demo program for the X and the closed version of the LCD's.
beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #5,046 of 12,546
Sorry never played with any of the precut setting, 0dB on the volume control straight out to an amp, if it gets too loud at 7-8 o'clock plugged into the amp, then for the headphones you were using you didn't need the second amp.

Ahhhhhh OK, i understand now. Thx for clearing that up for me. I appreciate that :)

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #5,047 of 12,546
Well I ran this clip through the Little Dot MK IV with my 6CS6 tubes installed, the FiiO E17/E09K Combo and the Burson Conductor SL with the ESS 9018 DAC board installed as I don't care much for the PCM 1793 board, it sounds a little to flat to me.

After a little bit of talking in the middle, he brings a Bass player in for a small jam.
Don't forget to bring it up to 720P for the best sound....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGBIE5cqfQ

I ran both headphones through all the amps with the same cable, I used my cable from the DT880's and plugged it into the LCD's when I switched.

It's not fair to include the tubes into the mix as they have a totally different sound that is very enjoyable but the furthest thing from analytical or neutral.

The bass on the LCD's has a lot more impact than the DT880's do, when he hits that kick drum you feel it. The ride cymbal has an excellent shimmer and it's bell has a nice clean sound.
The DT880's reproduce the above video very well, but there seems to me anyway that there is so much more detail in the LCD's. I am not an analytical listener by any means, and am not up to par on describing subtle nuances in sound. The easiest way I can compare the two is the DT880's sound like a 320K V0 MP3 done well and 99% of the people out there couldn't tell the difference between it and the same in a FLAC rip. The LCD's on the other hand are pure 24/96...

Now I need to find some tracks that will show a night and day difference between the E17/E09K and the Conductor SL cause at this moment I am not hearing a lot of difference, except the FiiO combo is a bit darker in it's sound with the E17 set to it's flat Line Out Bypass setting.

Rush's Xanadu sounds absolutely amazing on the LCD's, sorry just had to throw that in there...  :D  

Looks like you're enjoying the LCD's :D

But how big can the difference be? I mean, every time I sit down and listen to my Dt880's I ask myself, is there even higher fidelity than this high? Is there even more to hear? I can sometimes even hear the vocalist's lips touching. So if anything is more detailed, I'd assume that I would hear the singer blinking xD

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #5,048 of 12,546
Looks like you're enjoying the LCD's :D

But how big can the difference be? I mean, every time I sit down and listen to my Dt880's I ask myself, is there even higher fidelity than this high? Is there even more to hear? I can sometimes even hear the vocalist's lips touching. So if anything is more detailed, I'd assume that I would hear the singer blinking xD
Yes these are truly amazing with so much more detail, from the rumbling lows to the upper end of my hearing... :) I find the sound to be very uniform without any specific area taking precedence. I really can't describe you just have to hear them.

It is like the first time I went over to a friend's house to watch his 60" television. We played a little PS3 on it and that was great. He puts on a high definition cable show and I was quite impressed then the 1080p BluRay disk was loaded up and it was amazing! That is how I see the LCD's as the 1080p of the headphones, the DT880's are a very nice 720p and I imagine Stax would be the 4K system. :)

These were incredible right out of the box, they came in a nice hard SML travel case, clamp locks rubber seal and pressure valve. When you pop that case open and heft these headphones out, the first thing out my mouth was a nice gutteral grunt. I set them down on the table to get my cable of the DT880's and it felt like I was picking up my PortaPros. The DT880's are so light in comparison, so another grunt or two as I attach my cable to the LCD's. The wife inquires if I am "Alright" and I swing them her way, "Just look at these, you could seriously dent someone's head with them, just feel the weight" she rolls her eyes and goes back to what she was doing. I plug them into the burson open up the Black Album in 24/96 double click "Holier than Thou" and the rest is history...

So yes bro, you need to check a pair of these out.

Well sorry guys for all the LCD talk in a Beyer thread, the DT880's are waiting in the wings as faithful as ever when I get over the LCD wander lust... :D

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #5,049 of 12,546
Well sorry guys for all the LCD talk in a Beyer thread, the DT880's are waiting in the wings as faithful as ever when I get over the LCD wander lust...
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

I think I'm the only one that isn't a fan of the lCD 2's sound signature. It has a sound signature I would say is relaxed and super airy, when I first listened to the I was extremely underwhelmed. But then again you hit the law of diminishing returns pretty hard at that price point.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #5,051 of 12,546
  My DT880 arrived yesterday morning, and its at my parent's place. I suspect the high detail may be somewhat because of the treble spike. Anyhow, I am gonna be equalizing them to flat. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

I thought you guys might appreciate this. Apparently it makes a huge difference. I'm gonna do it for sure. :)

I've been listening to mine like that for years and it really does make a difference.

I wouldn't say the DT880's detail comes from the treble spikes, though. Notching out the peaks (the most offensive spike for me is between 5-6 kHz) still leaves lots of airy treble extension, and while the presentation changes a bit (I wouldn't say the soundstage gets narrower--it's difficult to describe the change, but it's like everything is a little less energetic and in your face), overall it's a subtle but noticeable improvement. The detail is all still there; in fact, I find it a bit easier to tease out the lower-level stuff since it's not blown out by that lower treble glare.

The thing is, it's easy to go overboard and start creating lots of notches. If the character of the sound changes fundamentally, you've gone too far.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #5,052 of 12,546
This is how I run the DT880's under foobar.

Might just as well show that the DT880 love is still alive and well. :)

Double Supremus post as well!
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #5,053 of 12,546
Mine is slightly different from the last time I posted in here. The 5.8 kHz notch is a little wider.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #5,054 of 12,546

I've been listening to mine like that for years and it really does make a difference.

I wouldn't say the DT880's detail comes from the treble spikes, though. Notching out the peaks (the most offensive spike for me is between 5-6 kHz) still leaves lots of airy treble extension, and while the presentation changes a bit (I wouldn't say the soundstage gets narrower--it's difficult to describe the change, but it's like everything is a little less energetic and in your face), overall it's a subtle but noticeable improvement. The detail is all still there; in fact, I find it a bit easier to tease out the lower-level stuff since it's not blown out by that lower treble glare.

The thing is, it's easy to go overboard and start creating lots of notches. If the character of the sound changes fundamentally, you've gone too far.

You've equalized your headphones eh? I'm glad to hear that detail still remains, and that the lower register actually becomes clearer as a result of getting rid of spikes. Makes me look forward to these bad boys even more. :) 

I have a question for you though. When you say that when the fundamental character of the headphones change then that is indicative of going too far, and I accept that may very well be true. However, would you say that equalizing the DT880 until it has a flat (neutral) response is going too far? I am all about a flat response, and I actually bought the DT880 with this in mind - worried I have made a bad decision. :S 

If you have bad news for me, then I can accept it. *first world problems* hahahah

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #5,055 of 12,546
  This is how I run the DT880's under foobar.

Might just as well show that the DT880 love is still alive and well. :)

Double Supremus post as well!
biggrin.gif

I'm in Toronto. PERHAPS YOU SHOULD HAVE ME OVER FOR A LISTENING SESSION AND I CAN LIVE WITH YOU. 

... kidding of course, even about the listening session. Would you ever come to a headphone meet in Toronto though? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back