The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #4,666 of 12,546

Pro is imo more comfortable but has more clamp 

How is it more comfortable? You prefer a lot of clamping force? Other than that they are identical in comfort.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #4,667 of 12,546

The only sonic difference is that the (slightly) higher clamping force results in very slightly more bass impact, as extra clamping force always does. The Premium and Pro models have infinitely more in common then they have differences. I recommend the Pro because they can found a lot cheaper. The only other difference is they have a coiled cable instead of a straight cable.

Coiled cable? I'm still sold on the premium. :p

Again, there are many trustworthy head-fiers that do sales on here. When I have more money (near xmas) I will find SOMEONE selling a pair on here. :)

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #4,668 of 12,546
I'm pretty sure the case is leather. It doesn't feel or look like pleather, and I seem to remember it having a faint leather scent when I first got it. Of course that was three years ago, so I could be fabricating that memory, but the other two things still stand. If it's pleather, it's a pretty good imitation of real leather. A lot better than the stuff that usually comes on headphone pads.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #4,669 of 12,546

The only sonic difference is that the (slightly) higher clamping force results in very slightly more bass impact, as extra clamping force always does. The Premium and Pro models have infinitely more in common then they have differences. I recommend the Pro because they can found a lot cheaper. The only other difference is they have a coiled cable instead of a straight cable.

Oh yea my Dt 880 is recabled,

but yea I LOVED my Pro, and MY Dt 990 is also a Pro model, I'd NEVER pay for a Preium 600 ohm UNLESS I was recableing and fully balancing it [which is the DT 880 Pre 600 ohm I own] 

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #4,670 of 12,546

I'm not joking. Their website says the case is leather. They could be lying, and perhaps upon further inquiry I will discover it is pleather. But a lot of very, very cheap leathers feel like pleather.

Yea I guess it could be cheap leather. You could always buy one without the case and buy a cloth case to hold them. Plenty of those available on Amazon, EBay, et al.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #4,671 of 12,546
The original 2003 version of the DT880 used to come in a fairly substantial aluminum box. I suppose that was rather expensive to make, as well as ship, hence the shift to the soft case with the 2005 aesthetic refresh of the Premium Beyers.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #4,672 of 12,546
Stretch the Pro's on a couple of thick textbooks or an LCD TV and congratulations, you have the Premium version.

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #4,674 of 12,546
Unless you buy used here, than it's almost a wash on price diff. The coiled is a deal breaker for me tho. Hate those things. :O

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #4,675 of 12,546
Any advice on a dac/amp that would work well with my 880 250 ohms?  I'm thinking Modi/Magni, but is there another pairing that would work better for around the same money?  I like the fact that the dac is separate from the amp, so I could upgrade each separately in the future.  

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #4,676 of 12,546
Any advice on a dac/amp that would work well with my 880 250 ohms?  I'm thinking Modi/Magni, but is there another pairing that would work better for around the same money?  I like the fact that the dac is separate from the amp, so I could upgrade each separately in the future.  

Those will wrk fine. However you have to figure out if u like tubes or solid state for the dt880. I njoy mine with solid state. As it retains n enhances the very clean nature of the headphone

although they also sound lovley with the lushness of tubes. so try a tube amp when u get the chance

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #4,677 of 12,546
And be aware that most people report the Magni to be a bright amp. Since the DT880 can already be bright at times, I wouldn't recommend the Magni if you're sensitive or adverse to such a thing. In that case the ODAC+O2 or Modi+O2 may be a better choice.

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #4,679 of 12,546
What devhen said. I had a magni. Note the had.
wink.gif
Still have the o2 tho but not getting used much these days.

Same here. Sold mine and kept the Asgard 1. Magni was too bright for me.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #4,680 of 12,546
Hello, I'm a relatively new 880/600 owner. I'm driving them mostly with the headphone-out in my Oppo105, which sounds considerably better than the LDIII (with upgraded tubes) that I also own. Don't get me wrong; I like the LDIII. In some ways, a lot. It sounds great with 990pros on my desk playing Spotify. I ordered a Black Cube clone from China to play with, but I would like to find a dedicated head amp that I could include in my main system, whose level of transparency equals that of the 105. Love the cans, BTW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back