The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #4,651 of 12,546
I managed something extraordinary once. I somehow landed an unintentional kick dead center on my DT880's connector and snapped the 6.5mm adapter clean apart. I thought sure I'd busted the 3.5mm jack inside as well, but luckily I only bent it slightly. I had to dig the broken end of the adapter out of the socket with a pair of pliers, which proved to be fiddly and annoying. A spare adapter later and I was back to listening, but my DT880 is thoroughly mine now. I couldn't in good conscience sell it after I did that to it, even if the damage is slight.

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #4,652 of 12,546
  I managed something extraordinary once. I somehow landed an unintentional kick dead center on my DT880's connector and snapped the 6.5mm adapter clean apart. I thought sure I'd busted the 3.5mm jack inside as well, but luckily I only bent it slightly. I had to dig the broken end of the adapter out of the socket with a pair of pliers, which proved to be fiddly and annoying. A spare adapter later and I was back to listening, but my DT880 is thoroughly mine now. I couldn't in good conscience sell it after I did that to it, even if the damage is slight.

wow Dx

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #4,653 of 12,546

Wow! Well that could have ended worse.

I noticed in some photos and videos that AKG uses the same screw-on 1/4" adapter? It looks the same anyway. I'll know for sure when my K712s arrive on Saturday. :D

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #4,654 of 12,546

I wish I could find the article that explained why the impedance has very little to do with how loud a volume your headphone (or speaker) can achieve, it is the sensitivity that most matters. It was an excellent article and I will try to find it.

You are correct, assuming the amp can output enough current and voltage (i.e. power), it is not the impedance, it is the efficiency and the power handling capability of the 'phone which tells us how loud a 'phone can go.   
Probably much louder than you need!

Try this article:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Impedance does come into play here:
for the same SPL:
A high impedance DT880 headphone will require more voltage (but not more power!)
A Low impedance DT880 headphone will require less voltage (but not less power!)

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #4,655 of 12,546

You ninja! 

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #4,656 of 12,546
Hmm, maybe it wasn't the DT 880 that pressed the drivers against my ears, but was instead the Q701. I forget. 

But, in other news, I just learned I can't buy the DT880 new because I'm a vegetarian/concerned with animal rights and the DT880 comes with a leather pouch. *Whacks head on desk*

So, I will be browsing around here on head-fi to buy a pair from a seller with positive feedback (I only buy animal products second hand). 

PS: Not looking for a debate on animal rights here. Just pointing out a *personal* issue I have with the DT880 production. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #4,658 of 12,546
  Hmm, maybe it wasn't the DT 880 that pressed the drivers against my ears, but was instead the Q701. I forget. 

But, in other news, I just learned I can't buy the DT880 new because I'm a vegetarian/concerned with animal rights and the DT880 comes with a leather pouch. *Whacks head on desk*

So, I will be browsing around here on head-fi to buy a pair from a seller with positive feedback (I only buy animal products second hand). 

PS: Not looking for a debate on animal rights here. Just pointing out a *personal* issue I have with the DT880 production. 

-.- oh silly you, Yea seriously get the Pro version. It's a nice rough and tough like... plasticy fabric. I actually like it over the LEather. The cheaper stuff seems stiffer and well more protective. Still I've literally gutted the Foam inside my Dt 880 case to fit my w1000x inside! 

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #4,660 of 12,546
Sep 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #4,662 of 12,546

Not sure if you're joking or not but the case is definitely not leather. More like pleather.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #4,663 of 12,546
I mean, I don't want the headphones to be different in a way that changes my experience. Bear in mind though, that I don't care about superficial characteristics like the colour of the headband or something. But extra clamping power would contribute to a different experience, perhaps even sonically.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #4,665 of 12,546
  I mean, I don't want the headphones to be different in a way that changes my experience. Bear in mind though, that I don't care about superficial characteristics like the colour of the headband or something. But extra clamping power would contribute to a different experience, perhaps even sonically.

The only sonic difference is that the (slightly) higher clamping force results in very slightly more bass impact, as extra clamping force always does. The Premium and Pro models have infinitely more in common then they have differences. I recommend the Pro because they can found a lot cheaper. The only other difference is they have a coiled cable instead of a straight cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back