The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4,636 of 12,546
The 880s are amazing with metal, and if you EQ try to use a parametric EQ as you can control how much the requency you atenuate bleeds into adjacent frequencies.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #4,637 of 12,546
I am not really a "Cookie Monster" vocals metal listener... I do enjoy a little Amon Amarth from time to time though.

But! Metallica's Black Album in 24/96 sounds amazing through the DT880's.

After listening to Disturbed Asylum album the other day, I am enjoying what I hear from them as well. :D

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #4,638 of 12,546
Asked this elsewhere but I thought I would repeat it here (as this is a living thread)... has anyone attempted to run the 880/250 through a Little Dot I+?  I'm looking to expand the stable with a can with a flatter FR and the 880 seems to fit the bill, but my headphone amp is a hybrid tube that generally works better with low-impedance cans.  I know there is a gain switch on the LD, but I seem to recall reading that noise increased when the high gain setting was applied... any help would be appreciated.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #4,639 of 12,546
  Asked this elsewhere but I thought I would repeat it here (as this is a living thread)... has anyone attempted to run the 880/250 through a Little Dot I+?  I'm looking to expand the stable with a can with a flatter FR and the 880 seems to fit the bill, but my headphone amp is a hybrid tube that generally works better with low-impedance cans.  I know there is a gain switch on the LD, but I seem to recall reading that noise increased when the high gain setting was applied... any help would be appreciated.

This is a quote from the LD forum...

Quote:LD 1+ Forum
  I have used the LD 1+ with upgraded WE408A tubes as I received from LD with the Beyer 880 600 ohm phones. It does a really good clean job, but begins to run out of power on really heavy classical music. On normal music, like jazz or light rock, it is a real good combo. I normally had the volume control at about the 2 o'clock position. But, on some heavy classical, I had to open the volume all the way to the 5 o'clock position.
I purchased it mainly to drive the HiFiman HE-300 Dynamic Phones... and it does a magnificent job with those phones. I also have the Schiit Lyr Hybrid Tube Amp, and with the HE-300, the LD 1+ with upgraded tubes does a little better job than the Lyr. A little sweeter in the mids. Very nice!

He has the 600Ω version and since the specs state that it outputs 150mW into 300Ω it might just work alright depending on your listening levels.
beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #4,641 of 12,546
I ran my 600 880s with a Valhalla and the results were excellent I thought.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #4,644 of 12,546
Do the drivers touch your ears? Is there ear space in the cups?

The drivers are well protected behind foam discs that bow out in the middle. These tend to touch one's ears (they do mine), but most people don't seem to find it unpleasant. It's never bothered me in almost three years of ownership.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #4,645 of 12,546

The drivers are well protected behind foam discs that bow out in the middle. These tend to touch one's ears (they do mine), but most people don't seem to find it unpleasant. It's never bothered me in almost three years of ownership.

It doesn't bother me either... but sometimes it can tickle.
basshead.gif

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #4,649 of 12,546
Speaking of which, how long have everybody's pads lasted here? Mine are the originals and I will have had my DT880 for three years in the beginning of October. They're definitely a bit worn down, but they seem to be otherwise perfectly fine. I wash them annually in a bath of warm soapy water, which doesn't ever seem to have damaged them.

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #4,650 of 12,546
  Speaking of which, how long have everybody's pads lasted here? Mine are the originals and I will have had my DT880 for three years in the beginning of October. They're definitely a bit worn down, but they seem to be otherwise perfectly fine. I wash them annually in a bath of warm soapy water, which doesn't ever seem to have damaged them.

I need to wash them

although I am a little mad... I'm ALREADY having issues with my 3.5 6.5mm connector :/ it's losing audio... glad I have 2 more >.> [silly mono price] that said I just need to break down and recable the w1000x to just use the pb1's Blanced out, as I lose audio out of the pb1+adapter plus the Hm801+adapter so it's cleary the adapter [which is why I hate 3.5mm... I seem to destroy them at teh speed of light] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back