The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #4,276 of 12,548
My 880s are in, initial listening now. WIll get deep into it tommorow

the detail is better than I remember, Airy vocals have more layering to them, hearing alittle more than I did before. still... Daiquing Tana's voice lacks a touch of body 

18 gain is over kill for these, 10 works just fine although 18 drives a touch more body, it's a tad bit noisy

Looks like the La Fiagro Dark Voice it will be for these! 

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #4,277 of 12,548
Quote:
I like Easy-Q better. more stable. http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html

What a bonus find good sir!
ElectriQ-PoS edition crashed for the last time on me last night and was promptly removed and deleted.

Easy-Q installed and running nicely, and I CAN SAVE settings! Life just doesn't get any better than this!

Thanks for posting that.
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #4,278 of 12,548
I have a DT880(250 ohms) and a DT770LE both still under warranty to Aug 2014 and March 2015 respectively. Both are in excellent condition as I hardly use them, not because I don't love the sound (I do) but the earpads are too small for my admittedly large ears. I'd like to sell them as a bundle but preferably to someone in Singapore to save the hassle of shipping and inspection. If interested, please PM me. Thanks.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #4,279 of 12,548
Got my e17 and e09k today and after waiting a few (painstaking) minutes for the e17 to charge up I've got it running! I have the bass at +4 on the 17 and it sounds great. Any higher and the bass starts slopping around. No matter, they sound fantastic, I'll just have to pick up another headphone in the future for the bass heavy music (ultrasones?)

I'm listening to Acid Rain by Liquid Tension Experiment and it is fantastic. Very happy with my purchase!

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #4,280 of 12,548
Quote:
Got my e17 and e09k today and after waiting a few (painstaking) minutes for the e17 to charge up I've got it running! I have the bass at +4 on the 17 and it sounds great. Any higher and the bass starts slopping around. No matter, they sound fantastic, I'll just have to pick up another headphone in the future for the bass heavy music (ultrasones?)

I'm listening to Acid Rain by Liquid Tension Experiment and it is fantastic. Very happy with my purchase!

Excellent to hear! 
biggrin.gif

Here is the post about fixing the rocking on the dock connector.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/5610#post_9268523

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #4,281 of 12,548
Quote:

Actually to get more bass, you can eq them to sound like the dt 990 

Try I think it was easy Q, that should make it very simple for you to REALLY eq in some nice bass on those. I used a simmilar program to Easy Q and it was very enjoyable

In addition, with quiter songs, acutally the cello is very nice

example 

So if the Audio GD is indeed "darker" it should be extra sexy! 

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #4,282 of 12,548
What a bonus find good sir!
ElectriQ-PoS edition crashed for the last time on me last night and was promptly removed and deleted.

Easy-Q installed and running nicely, and I CAN SAVE settings! Life just doesn't get any better than this!

Thanks for posting that.
:beerchug:

NP!

Actually to get more bass, you can eq them to sound like the dt 990 

Try I think it was easy Q, that should make it very simple for you to REALLY eq in some nice bass on those. I used a simmilar program to Easy Q and it was very enjoyable

In addition, with quiter songs, acutally the cello is very nice

example 
So if the Audio GD is indeed "darker" it should be extra sexy! 

Easy-Q yes that's it's name! That name again is Easy-Q! LINK :dt880smile:

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4,283 of 12,548
Quote:
NP!
Easy-Q yes that's it's name! That name again is Easy-Q! LINK
dt880smile.png

MrE I love your new tMac Avatar ^^

I need to join that tread at some point -.- to lazy

but thanks for the link to Easy Q, electri q is SO cumber some... piece o junk xD 

EWW this thread has like DIED shame on you all I'm BORED REVIVE it lol

but I compared the Dt 880 to the W1000x for jazz... and well the w1000x was not as much fun. The Brass Horns where not as warm :O, once again I re state, I DO love the w1000x Dt 880 combo! Where the Dt 880 is lack luster the W1000x shines, where teh W1000x is kinda meh, the Dt 880 is WOW

Great cans, and I'm glad I own my 880s again :D 

Back to the 880 w1000x combo, I really do hear the Resonnace of the dt 880 at it's resonnate point [like 100-150ish hrz] low notes on accoustic guitars get REALLY thick on the 880, thicker and more resonnate than the w1000x :O so anything with a singular POWERFUL burst of that get's a little muddied by the 880, like in 

The w1000x [modded] has better clarity in this track as well over the dt 880, As I said before, the two cans play off each other REALLY well, but I can't grasp how the mids vary as they do... the w1000x is a mid focused can, yet with a MID heavy song like that it has leaner mids than the Dt 880, and in the oppisite direction the Dt 880 has much nicer Brass mids... 

another funny thing, Lisa Edkhal has a very VERY deep quality to her fun airy voice, the Dt 880s kinda loss some of the depth and warmth in her voice, [something they add to much of it Daiquing Tana's voice and to the guitar in that track] 

Very wonky, but alas it's why I own both cans I guess 

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #4,284 of 12,548
I discovered EasyQ when Electri-Q didn't work well when using Foobar in Wine on Ubuntu. I haven't actually tried it with Foobar on Windows since it was a stopgap measure for a problem I wasn't having with Electri-Q normally.

My main issue with EasyQ, aside from instability of its own (likely due to me using it outside its native environment), is that the narrowest bandwidth that can be set is 0.25 octaves, whereas my EQ curve for my DT880 uses 0.2 octave bandwidth notches. The difference isn't much and is probably inaudible, but it's a case of "if it ain't broke..." That said, Electri-Q is kind of unstable, especially with later versions of foo_vst. I have version 0.8.0.1, which works better than the 0.9.x.x series, which I couldn't get to work at all, in fact.

With version 0.8.0.1 of foo_vst, Electri-Q does have a rudimentary preset ability, though it's not robust by any means. It involves the Presets selector menu on the bottom lefthand corner. At startup it's set to 01. You open the first of a series of presets you would like access to when it's on 01, then increment it to 02. You then open the second preset you would like available, and so on. When you restart Foobar it resets to 01, but your saved presets are still stored in sequence, meaning 02 corresponds to the next preset you assigned, and so on. You have to manually select which one you want each time you start up Foobar, which is annoying, but at least you don't have to load the open preset menu every time, which is when I experienced the majority of crashes.

Here's my DT880 EQ, incidentally:

All notches are 0.2 octaves in bandwidth

-7.5 dB at 5827.6 Hz
-6.0 dB at 7660.0 Hz
-4.5 dB at 10432 Hz
-4.5 dB at 13879 Hz

The second notch is ear canal resonance and will appear at different places depending on the listener. If you've seen a bunch of InnerFidelity or HeadRoom charts, you might have noticed a narrow spike in about this region (or a little higher) on a lot of headphones. That's the same phenomenon, I believe. That spike is the dummy's ear canal resonance.

Whether or not it's a natural part of listening or not is debatable, since the spike doesn't appear in the free field curve but does appear in the diffuse field curve. I get rid of it for all my headphones because, in my case, it happens to emphasize the region of the musical spectrum responsible for sibilance. Since ear canal resonance shifts around depending on the dimensions of the canal itself, I wonder if this phenomenon might not be responsible for a lot of the differing impressions people get of a particular model of headphone. Some people say the DT880 isn't sibilant at all; others (like me) find that sibilance can be a problem without EQ. Maybe both impressions are correct.

And I'll tell you right now I don't want to hear the amp/DAC/[fill-in-the-blank] that claims it can help with this, since the only way to solve this problem is to center a narrow notch somewhere in the 6-10 kHz range, and such a narrow dip would indicate something seriously deficient and/or wrong with the circuit. Plus, there's no way to purposely design a circuit like this ahead of time so that the notch occurs in the correct place for each listener, since it varies widely within the quoted range.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #4,285 of 12,548
Ear canal resonnace... hmm lucky me! I seem to not have that problem at all! or at least my ear's are immune to the resonnace at that frequancy or what ever 

As I've mentioned I LOVE the treble on the Dt 990 :O which is not bright or sibilant for me :/ [same applies to the 880]

Also 3D imaging is nice on the 880 

Ok so another wierd quick to the dtt 880 and w1000x combo... the w1000x is a tad to smooth and a bit to sluggish for metal. Yea it's GREAT with rock, the mids have a awesome balance of attack and nice decay with the W1000x, and the 1000x is a tad more intimate for rock, which is really nice, still spacious with great 3D detail and instrument seperation...

but for metal... the w1000x just isn't fast enough to keep up with the lighting fast attack of metal, listening to some metallica, and the decay is just a little to much for metal! I've modded my w1000x to be NICE and tight, very punchy with it's mid... but that said... it's JUST not enough to keep it and translate the nice warmth behind those lighting fast metal riffs! 

Like in this track, the Beyer is just a little to thin and distant, the w1000x does better here 

But switch it up to metal, and that nice tight intimate feel is just to slow to keep it with the Metal

ACtually the crappy quality of YouTube seems to help the w1000x xD but not enough

here in this track, the Dt 880 comes out on top, the increased sound stage helps, as does the tighter and quicker nature of the can... yet this can doesn't do classical, and the dt 990 has to much bass for metal xD 

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #4,286 of 12,548
I love this song and think the dt880's do exceptional in it. Lots of different instruments and you can really hear the separation. An incredible piece of work either way :)

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmo1VW_wA_o[/VIDEO]

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #4,287 of 12,548
Quote:
I love this song and think the dt880's do exceptional in it. Lots of different instruments and you can really hear the separation. An incredible piece of work either way
smily_headphones1.gif

Meh I still prefer Orinon to that sound, but a nice song non the less. Not a fan of eletro elements with Metal but it does have a nice sound on the Beyers! 

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #4,288 of 12,548
I've split the thread as discussed to here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/679357/inexpensive-tube-amp-for-the-beyer-dt880s-split-from-appreciation-thread

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #4,290 of 12,548
Quote:

Just wanted to say... this is an AWESOME track!

Enjoyed it a LOT!

Quote:
The w1000x [modded] has better clarity in this track as well over the dt 880, As I said before, the two cans play off each other REALLY well, but I can't grasp how the mids vary as they do... the w1000x is a mid focused can, yet with a MID heavy song like that it has leaner mids than the Dt 880, and in the oppisite direction the Dt 880 has much nicer Brass mids... 

Nah, W1000X actually is pretty balanced. If you want mid-focused, try W3000ANV... 
tongue.gif

Even my ES10 has more midrange emphasis than W1000X.

W1000X has a weird lower midrange and lower treble dip... but an upper midrange peak to my ears. Bass is pretty linear from 80Hz and up, though.

But if you want to make W1000X play even nicer with faster paced music, you can "overdo" Purrin's mod. That's what I did to make mine sound so good. And as far as I know, someone has compared that modded W1000X with HE-6, and it comes out 50/50.

So that says something. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back