The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #4,291 of 12,548
Quote:

Just wanted to say... this is an AWESOME track!

Enjoyed it a LOT!

Nah, W1000X actually is pretty balanced. If you want mid-focused, try W3000ANV... 
tongue.gif

Even my ES10 has more midrange emphasis than W1000X.

W1000X has a weird lower midrange and lower treble dip... but an upper midrange peak to my ears. Bass is pretty linear from 80Hz and up, though.

But if you want to make W1000X play even nicer with faster paced music, you can "overdo" Purrin's mod. That's what I did to make mine sound so good. And as far as I know, someone has compared that modded W1000X with HE-6, and it comes out 50/50.

So that says something. 
redface.gif

Meh I'd care not to over do it. I could also drill some holes at the bottom of the cups and add even more dynamat and then I'd lost the entire sound of the can. The bass... might be linear but it still has the closed sound, the resonnace. And yes it has a touch of a lower treble dip, that's very evident. I suppose it has a lower midrange dip as well, but it follows after a Mid upper bass hump... which leads it to sound really nice actually. 

So I COULD over do it, but as far as closed cans go. If the w3000anv has MORE mid... than my w1000x is my end game closed... until the Auzede closed can's go public. I might shoot for one of those, it's a great can I like the color and the little flaws it has. I'm not too keen on going in and modding it... AGAIN personally, although I might who knows :\

But the lower treble dip is a bit of an issue, in Reggae which features some nice smooth lower treble guitar riffs [Metal features a lot of that and lower Mid riffs] they aren't so great

I think it's because of that dip, and the extra decay on the bass

So all in all I don't need or want it to work better with faster music, it keeps up very well, and if I want lighting fast quickness I switch into the Dt 880, if I want the more intimate yet still balanced, punchy, airy and lush sound I switch into the w10000x they just work together so well, no need to make one better than the other. Or I lose the joy of owing them both! 

Still glad you liked it :D [it's a really nice track on the Dt 880 or your... PurrinOverMod w1000x

Also what pads do you have on yours? 

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #4,292 of 12,548
I was using the L3000 pads. But I don't have the W1000X anymore, remember?

Not because it wasn't a good can, but... my modded ES10 ultimately is just more linear overall to my ears (and Alex Rosson of Audeze also confirmed this).

So whatever I hear now, it's all from the ES10's point of reference. Out of ALO Continental v2.

Actually, what I'm hearing out of ALO Continental now is just so amazing that I'm starting to wonder how it'll do with DT880...

It's by far the best portable/transportable amp I've heard, and probably one of the best amps I have heard in the price bracket ($500 and under) as well.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #4,293 of 12,548
Quote:
I was using the L3000 pads. But I don't have the W1000X anymore, remember?

Not because it wasn't a good can, but... my modded ES10 ultimately is just more linear overall to my ears (and Alex Rosson of Audeze also confirmed this).

So whatever I hear now, it's all from the ES10's point of reference. Out of ALO Continental v2.

Actually, what I'm hearing out of ALO Continental now is just so amazing that I'm starting to wonder how it'll do with DT880...

It's by far the best portable/transportable amp I've heard, and probably one of the best amps I have heard in the price bracket ($500 and under) as well.

What on earth did you do to your es10

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #4,294 of 12,548
Quote:
What on earth did you do to your es10

Sent them in to Martin's Custom Audio, requested a recable to pure copper (since the stock cable was flaking out), also requested for the ear cups to be switched from titanium to wood, and also make the plug wooden. So yeah, it's like a mini W headphone now.

But now it sounds very remarkable. And it's not just me. Every single person who has put them on has inquired more about them, and said some very nice things. It surprises me.

It's enough that I'm willing to go without the modded W1000X, so you can probably imagine how nice they sound. 
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #4,295 of 12,548
Quote:

Sent them in to Martin's Custom Audio, requested a recable to pure copper (since the stock cable was flaking out), also requested for the ear cups to be switched from titanium to wood, and also make the plug wooden. So yeah, it's like a mini W headphone now.

But now it sounds very remarkable. And it's not just me. Every single person who has put them on has inquired more about them, and said some very nice things. It surprises me.

It's enough that I'm willing to go without the modded W1000X, so you can probably imagine how nice they sound. 
wink.gif

good greif, what the heck did it cost, are there ANY cons left? Anything the w1000x did better 

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #4,296 of 12,548
I especially like the DT880's with vocal trance (what i mostly listen to), it excels with songs like this one: 

Awesome clarity, tight bass, and a wide soundstage. What else do you need 
beyersmile.png

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #4,297 of 12,548
Nice track, going to start typing up my Dt 880 review now! Look forward to it guys! I never got around to reviewing my old 250 ohm Pros... a shame really as I can't really say which is better as the preium sounds just like I remember the Pros xD 

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #4,298 of 12,548
Nice track, going to start typing up my Dt 880 review now! Look forward to it guys! I never got around to reviewing my old 250 ohm Pros... a shame really as I can't really say which is better as the preium sounds just like I remember the Pros xD 

When listing the pro's and con's, don't forget to mention in the pro's the fact that we have the most awesome appreciation thread. :wink:

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #4,299 of 12,548
Quote:
When listing the pro's and con's, don't forget to mention in the pro's the fact that we have the most awesome appreciation thread.
wink.gif

+1 Excellent group for sure!

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #4,300 of 12,548
Quote:
+1 Excellent group for sure!

Wait... Chuck Noris is a Super hero ;O

and indeed, were so awesome Currawong had to make us a SECOND thread <3 

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #4,302 of 12,548
Quote:
Nice track, going to start typing up my Dt 880 review now! Look forward to it guys!

I did one of those a while back. I figured after two and a half years I might be familiar enough with the sound to review it.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4,303 of 12,548
Quote:

I did one of those a while back. I figured after two and a half years I might be familiar enough with the sound to review it.

well I'd like to review the 250 ohm and 600 ohm... I can't review both with only one in my possesion xD 

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #4,304 of 12,548
Quote:
well I'd like to review the 250 ohm and 600 ohm... I can't review both with only one in my possesion xD 

You could still say a lot that would be useful, though. The difference between those, if anything, is going to be subtle. The fundamental DT880 sound is going to be present in both, and if people read as far as "bright, airy, detailed, and neutral" and think that's not what I'm looking for, they won't like either version of the DT880. So even just commenting on the model you have will be very helpful to people who have no idea what to expect from the DT880 in any of its incarnations.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #4,305 of 12,548
Quote:

Like Argyris said - don't worry about it.  Even when I briefly had both together - the differences were so small I'd put it down to clamp and pad wear.  Too much is made about the 600 ohm being superior.  If I was ever buying again, the only reason for going 600ohm would be for pairing with an already existing/owned OTL tube amp.  Otherwise I'd go 250ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back