The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 28, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #4,261 of 12,548
Quote:
Quote:

I'd say you get even more clarity and overall sound quality with DT990 than DT880.  To me, DT880 600 sound a bit congested, closed in and lacking definition, like they're almost muddy in comparison.

Although I do agree on the increased clarity of the 990 it has WAY to much bass, that bass alone muddies things up.

When I compared the two head to head I preferred the 880's sound but only with JMoney pads on them. Stock pads is too basslight in my opinion. 990's signature on the other hand sounded overdone. Almost as if they weren't really paying attention at Beyer.

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #4,262 of 12,548
Alright I got it. I'll try that for a bit and see if I like it. I really like this EQ as well, thanks. (Had to go find a vst wrapper and all that nonsense but easy besides that).

Back to amps/dacs.

Any suggestions for a tube amp to pair with the e10 dac? Or would it still be more beneficial to go with an amp/dac? Still leaning towards the Aune but I do want something to bring out the Bass (is this a characteristic of tube amps in general?)

You could try the La Figaro 336C.
You could probably find a used one with NOS tubes in the For Sale section if you have some patience and time.
A tube amp really fills out the midrange and goes some way to mitigating the dry sound that DT880s are known for.

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #4,263 of 12,548
Quote:
You could try the La Figaro 336C.
You could probably find a used one with NOS tubes in the For Sale section if you have some patience and time.
A tube amp really fills out the midrange and goes some way to mitigating the dry sound that DT880s are known for.

I searched for that last night on eBay Chris and there are almost none to be found, I was going to suggest that one as well as it was my coin toss choice between the LD on purchase day. I think polychen is the only seller these days on eBay.

Used would be a great find for sure!

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #4,264 of 12,548
I searched for that last night on eBay Chris and there are almost none to be found, I was going to suggest that one as well as it was my coin toss choice between the LD on purchase day. I think polychen is the only seller these days on eBay.

Used would be a great find for sure!

Well.........I'm probably selling mine!

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #4,266 of 12,548
Quote:
Regarding running the DT-880 600 ohm with the JDS C421

I did try that combo when I had the 880s and while it was loud enough, I was not enthused with the tonal result with the 8620 chip and the 880s.  A bit too much up top and a little less warmth in lower mids and upper bass.  My La Figaro tube amp just did tone so much better with the DT-880s.

That being said, I am sure you could play the DT-880s pretty loud with the C421, but I am not sure how long the battery would hold out generating the amount of voltage needed to generate the milliwatts of power to achieve the high spls one may like.

Like Devhen noted perhaps the right can for the c421 might be the 250 ohm version.  A slight difference in sound but an easier load and heck that is what John (of JDS labs) used to carry around with the c421.

Sound like the new C5 would do it justice, the K550 [which has a simmilar sound to the dt 880 pro 250 imo] is nice with a c5 [it has a warmer op amp] 
Quote:
I'm assuming you have the 250ohm model? 

I was in the same boat as you. I got myself a Modi and a LittleDot Mk2 and paired them up with my DT880's. And then wonderful things started happening to my ears 
beyersmile.png
. To be honest your best option is to get a tube amp as they take the edge off the treble and bring more presence to the midrange. In your case, i don't think you need a new DAC. Just get a nice tube amp and you'll be happy with your setup. 

Wait for the guys here to give you some recommendations on more tube amps, I'm sure they'll help you out. 

Actually, I like my DT 880 Pro 250 on my SOLID State Matrix M Stage LEM 49990 [lean but warm aftermarket op amp] honestly it gave the beyers an AWESOME delicate mid preseance. The low mids espically, they REALLY had very nice tone and body, while still keeping that nice tight attack and smooth quick decay. 
Quote:
The free edition is a TOTAL POS when it comes to saving or loading, it always crashes on me.
I just changed the first default setting and run with that for the DT880's, I just turn it off for the 'Sones.

http://www.aixcoustic.com/index.php/Electri-Q-posihfopit/30/0/
Just click where you want the dots on the line or click it and hit del to get rid of one.
Double click the 3 dots and enter the following settings:
First dot
Freq: 20
Gain: 3
BW: 7.5

Second dot
Freq: 3500
Gain: 2.5
BW: 0.7

Third Dot
Freq: 6500
Gain: -9.5
BW: 0.5

If there was an EQ program that had a bandwidth setting to tighten up the specific frequency like Electri-Q does, I use it in an instant.
beerchug.gif

Agree'd I got Eltri Q to work once, and SHAME on you for EQ'ing the Beyers :O [although I don't eq any headphones EVER... except when i listen to DnB, in which case the Stock FooBar works just fine] and yes every can needs a eq for EDM, as all EDM needs MORE [but TIGHT] bass
Quote:
I like Easy-Q better. more stable. http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html

I'll try that to! 
Quote:

When I compared the two head to head I preferred the 880's sound but only with JMoney pads on them. Stock pads is too basslight in my opinion. 990's signature on the other hand sounded overdone. Almost as if they weren't really paying attention at Beyer.

Eww, bass LIGHT. I loved the bass it was JUST right for me. Heck I can't even use my Dt 990s with my JDS Labs C5 +6 bass boost, the bass get's WAY to over powering for me [John at JDS has agree'd to half the boost, via a resistor they keep in stock]

But that said, I enjoyed the dt 880 over all, and they might have been bass light becuase your pads had not yet softened, or broken in. Still anything that adds more bass to the 880 would NOT be wanted by me >.> The 880s had the tightest and most enjoyable bass imo. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #4,267 of 12,548
buy direct, http://www.yuking09.com/336c.asp

That's where I bought my 336C.
Delivery is 2-3 weeks.
The stock tubes are OK.
A good set of NOS tubes really wakes this amp up.

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #4,268 of 12,548
Quote:
That's where I bought my 336C.
Delivery is 2-3 weeks.
The stock tubes are OK.
A good set of NOS tubes really wakes this amp up.

Omg is that the Dark Voice?

Any tips for good after market NOS tubes? I might seriously get one of these :O [when I get my Audio GD 10ES2] 

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #4,269 of 12,548
Omg is that the Dark Voice?

Any tips for good after market NOS tubes? I might seriously get one of these :O [when I get my Audio GD 10ES2] 
Yeah, it's the newest iteration of the Darkvoice 336. The designer of the DV336 left and started his own company and made the La Figaro 336c. It's the DV336se with upgraded components. I'm curious whether they "fixed" the pot of the DV where it's logarithmic instead of linear.

For good cheap tubes, get a set of RCA 6SN7 and 6AS7. You only need one of each and they're 10-20 for NOS/Tested Well.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #4,270 of 12,548
Quote:
Yeah, it's the newest iteration of the Darkvoice 336. The designer of the DV336 left and started his own company and made the La Figaro 336c. It's the DV336se with upgraded components. I'm curious whether they "fixed" the pot of the DV where it's logarithmic instead of linear.

For good cheap tubes, get a set of RCA 6SN7 and 6AS7. You only need one of each and they're 10-20 for NOS/Tested Well.

very awesome! Was going to drop $219 on a Little dot 1+ with 4 sets of customs. But this would work too! A bit more though maybe I'll hunt for some used amps

also one tube pair -.- [at least it is encased] whats with the single tube design >.> 

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #4,271 of 12,548
It's a SE amp. It doesn't need a tube per channel since there's no intention of balancing it. And besides, the design works well enough that the Crack uses a similar design and that sells like gangbusters. :) Just think of it as a Pro since you save tons on not buying matched pairs because you're worried about channel imbalance. :wink:

Tube suggestions!

6AS7
Mid-tier tubes : Tung-sol 7236 ~$30
High-end tubes : Tung-sol 5998/Chatham 2399. ~$90

A lot of good 6SN7 can be found cheap so find something that matches what you want. RCA(Warm and thick), TS(Bright and airy), Sylvania(Balanced, slightly bright), Raytheon(Balanced, slightly warm. Meaty).

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #4,272 of 12,548
Quote:
buy direct, http://www.yuking09.com/336c.asp

The last time I tried the domain it didn't resolve there, looks like it had expired. Good to see it is back in full swing!

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #4,273 of 12,548
Quote:
It's a SE amp. It doesn't need a tube per channel since there's no intention of balancing it. And besides, the design works well enough that the Crack uses a similar design and that sells like gangbusters.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just think of it as a Pro since you save tons on not buying matched pairs because you're worried about channel imbalance.
wink.gif

Tube suggestions!

6AS7
Mid-tier tubes : Tung-sol 7236 ~$30
High-end tubes : Tung-sol 5998/Chatham 2399. ~$90

A lot of good 6SN7 can be found cheap so find something that matches what you want. RCA(Warm and thick), TS(Bright and airy), Sylvania(Balanced, slightly bright), Raytheon(Balanced, slightly warm. Meaty).

Quote:
The last time I tried the domain it didn't resolve there, looks like it had expired. Good to see it is back in full swing!

Damn that is a good point MrE

I'm still going to jump on the Little Dot 1+ I was planning to buy, BUT that's a GREAT. I might try those High End Tung Sol [Bright and Airy right] tubes actually. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #4,274 of 12,548
So I went with my initial instinct and ordered an e17 and e09k. Fiio has been good to me so far so why not try their next level up? Should be here tomorrow! (yay for amazon prime!) Sadly I won't get too much time to test it as I'm moving back to college this weekend. Thanks for all the help folks!

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4,275 of 12,548
Congrats, that is is great little desktop /portable you won't be disappointed!

I'll post you the link on how to get rid of the sloppy dock connection with two little pieces of rubber. It's not an Apple dock by any means. :)

Switch the E17 on the side to Line out mode and it is a straight pass thru to the amp, or you can leave it off and add bass & treble. I just leave mine on Line out all the time.
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back