The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 27, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #4,231 of 12,548
Unless it's a transportable rig that'll be used in quiet areas, I don't think you should even get the DT880 for portable use at all..

Sound quality issues (noise from outside) aside, you'll also have to listen hella loud, and you'll disturb other people, if not go deaf.

Plus the stock cable is long as heck...

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #4,232 of 12,548
I'd say you get even more clarity and overall sound quality with DT990 than DT880.  To me, DT880 600 sound a bit congested, closed in and lacking definition, like they're almost muddy in comparison.

I switched from 990 to 880, both 600 ohms.

I came from bass heavy phones and wanted something with better timber, so I bought the 990. However, the treble is just brutally harsh. I made use of an EQ eventually and soon realized I was using an 880.
I thus made the switch and never looked back.

After adjustments by EQ, 990 has neither a bigger soundstage nor higher resolution.

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #4,233 of 12,548
Quote:
Unless it's a transportable rig that'll be used in quiet areas, I don't think you should even get the DT880 for portable use at all..

Sound quality issues (noise from outside) aside, you'll also have to listen hella loud, and you'll disturb other people, if not go deaf.

Plus the stock cable is long as heck... That's why I've ultimately downsized my entire collection to just one headphone that's portable and has respectable sound quality.

Well I'm a nut job and I did it portable. Yea it pissed people off but I still enjoyed it. I HATE loud music so it was plenty loud in the Library, and it never leaked too much either 

Still It worked for me, I had my dt 880s for when it was quiet, and the XB 700 [what a pair huh] for when it was loud

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #4,234 of 12,548
My understanding of accoustics is limited, but I can only take the volume know up to the halfway point on the Fiio E10 before it gets uncomfortably loud, even with classical CDs. That seems unexpected for an amp that only outputs 150mW into 32 ohms, yet I can confirm what others here have posted, that is, that this micro amp has more than enough output power to drive the DT880's 600 ohm impedance. Maybe the sound quality suffers as a result of the high impedance, though I don't expect stellar sound quality out of a sub $100 dac/amp anyways.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #4,236 of 12,548
High impedance by itself does not make the sound quality worse. It is just quieter (assuming identical efficiency and not very high amplifier output impedance), and therefore requires more voltage - which the amplifier might not be capable of without distortion - for listening at the same level. Insufficient loudness does give the subjective impression of worse sound, though. Your preferred listening volume is probably just lower than that of some others, and that reduces the power requirement substantially - for example, by 10 times for 10 dB quieter sound.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #4,238 of 12,548
Regarding running the DT-880 600 ohm with the JDS C421

I did try that combo when I had the 880s and while it was loud enough, I was not enthused with the tonal result with the 8620 chip and the 880s.  A bit too much up top and a little less warmth in lower mids and upper bass.  My La Figaro tube amp just did tone so much better with the DT-880s.

That being said, I am sure you could play the DT-880s pretty loud with the C421, but I am not sure how long the battery would hold out generating the amount of voltage needed to generate the milliwatts of power to achieve the high spls one may like.

Like Devhen noted perhaps the right can for the c421 might be the 250 ohm version.  A slight difference in sound but an easier load and heck that is what John (of JDS labs) used to carry around with the c421.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #4,239 of 12,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That being said, I am sure you could play the DT-880s pretty loud with the C421, but I am not sure how long the battery would hold out generating the amount of voltage needed to generate the milliwatts of power to achieve the high spls one may like.

Batteries are drained by current, not by voltage.

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4,240 of 12,548
Anybody know any jokes? :D

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #4,241 of 12,548
Quote:
Anybody know any jokes?
biggrin.gif

I got one. 

What did the ocean say to the lake ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back