The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2,086 of 12,546
Quote:
Hi,

Probably not. You can buy all the materials from beyer directly and make a franken beyer.  I did one and made a 600Ohm pro DT990 with a premium models headband and had a black grill. You can buy all the parts by themselves and assemble the headphone cheaper that way.

I imagine if you wanted to you could also do some really nice custom colour schemes (yes Canadians like Brits spell color colour). I forget what company it is that does after market custom paint jobs on headphones, so if you could do your own vesrion that would be sick.

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #2,087 of 12,546
So I managed to obtain DT880 600 ohm's from the 1980's from ebay after having them recommended by another member,
they supposedly sound more natural/airy than the currently sold ones. PIC.

my impressions:
Pretty good soundstaging, not excessively large, but presents that front row experience with great instrument separation.
They sound dead natural, but very detailed with nice treble, the bass is just as natural and thus far from overwhelming. It's kind of punchy and not very strong, but it's just.. there. Also first thing I did was replace the worn old pads with new velour ear pads, these might influence the bass a bit. These velour pads are pretty awesome on my ears, soft and comfortable right there with my AD700's.

I find these DT880's really excellent for classical, real perfect for using with an instrument.
They aren't that easy to drive though, plugged into my HA-160's high impedance port they're amped around 12 o'clock.
What I noticed is with all that detail and amping, the listening gets tiring more quickly; these aren't super "fun" phones.
They don't have that strict analytical sound of the AKG-702's though, although they should definitely please the analytical listener. They definitely aren't forgiving on badly mastered tracks.

Overall, in my opinion it doesn't get much better in this price range.

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #2,089 of 12,546
Quote:
So I managed to obtain DT880 600 ohm's from the 1980's from ebay after having them recommended by another member,
they supposedly sound more natural/airy than the currently sold ones. PIC.

my impressions:
Pretty good soundstaging, not excessively large, but presents that front row experience with great instrument separation.
They sound dead natural, but very detailed with nice treble, the bass is just as natural and thus far from overwhelming. It's kind of punchy and not very strong, but it's just.. there. Also first thing I did was replace the worn old pads with new velour ear pads, these might influence the bass a bit. These velour pads are pretty awesome on my ears, soft and comfortable right there with my AD700's.

I find these DT880's really excellent for classical, real perfect for using with an instrument.
They aren't that easy to drive though, plugged into my HA-160's high impedance port they're amped around 12 o'clock.
What I noticed is with all that detail and amping, the listening gets tiring more quickly; these aren't super "fun" phones.
They don't have that strict analytical sound of the AKG-702's though, although they should definitely please the analytical listener. They definitely aren't forgiving on badly mastered tracks.

Overall, in my opinion it doesn't get much better in this price range.

What are they like out of the low impedance port? 12 o'clock doesn't sound like that much volume.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2,090 of 12,546
They must be quiet at that setting, with my Auditor I usually need to go to 1 or 2 oclock for modern recordings and almost 5 for older quiet masters. I take it I listen to music louder than many seem (and no, my hearing is excellent, I just like to have some impact).

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2,091 of 12,546
Hey SD,

I don't know why you have to crank the volume so much though. On my Auditor the DT880 is pretty loud at 8-9 oclock, at 1-2 it's deafening. It's really odd that it's not as loud as my DAC. My DAC is at the default +15dB setting and it outputs 5V or so into each channel.

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2,092 of 12,546
Not sure, but I do. My DAC only outputs 4.1v so there is some of the difference explained, albeit not much. It might also be that I just like music louder than most people? As I said, when my hearing was tested about 4 years ago it was well within the normal range so I can't imagine that hearing issues explains much. I wish there was a way to test the output of my Auditor, but I have no test equipment so that can't happen.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #2,093 of 12,546
Hi,
Just got my Dt 880 600Ohms the day before. Have had a good listen all of today and last night on both cd and vinyl, mostly classical and jazz.
They are not as comfy as my old phones (Senn 595) or may just be its a matter of getting used to them.
Will perhaps send a more detailed review later on but first impressions are worth sharing.
Right away I want to say that its not a tiring can at all. The high frequencies are are from aggressive, in fact I am struck about how calm and lucid they sound straight out of the box. The bass, is explicit without drawing attention to itself. Driven through the leben 300 it has overall a very refined and balanced presentation.
The differences between the Senn and the Beyers are considerably more detail for certain (not just new sounds, but the tonality of instruments is textured), but yes they do have a more more "lit-up kind of presentation". Nonetheless, as of now I am really hard put to find a fault.
Unlike the Senns however these Dt 880's  simply should not be played through a lap top.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #2,094 of 12,546
Hi,

The DT880 sounds bad right out of my laptop. It sounds grainy and bright with little bass and a very shallow sound.

Quote:
Hi,
Just got my Dt 880 600Ohms the day before. Have had a good listen all of today and last night on both cd and vinyl, mostly classical and jazz.
They are not as comfy as my old phones (Senn 595) or may just be its a matter of getting used to them.
Will perhaps send a more detailed review later on but first impressions are worth sharing.
Right away I want to say that its not a tiring can at all. The high frequencies are are from aggressive, in fact I am struck about how calm and lucid they sound straight out of the box. The bass, is explicit without drawing attention to itself. Driven through the leben 300 it has overall a very refined and balanced presentation.
The differences between the Senn and the Beyers are considerably more detail for certain (not just new sounds, but the tonality of instruments is textured), but yes they do have a more more "lit-up kind of presentation". Nonetheless, as of now I am really hard put to find a fault.
Unlike the Senns however these Dt 880's  simply should not be played through a lap top.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #2,095 of 12,546
Hey guys

I had some questions concerning the beyer dt880 600 ohm. I listen mostly to rock and metal so I was considering grado, but I wanted something with more bass, a bigger soundstage, and something which was good for other genres as well. It looks like a great headphone but I still have some issues with.

1) I don't want a tube amp under any circumstance. I want a solid state amp. Because of that, I thought an asgard would be a choice because it's a warm amp, so it's as close as you can get to a tube amp in a ss amp (in the price range of course). Do you think the dt880 would be enjoyable with the asgard, or do you think it's not worth getting the dt880 of I'm not buying a tube amp? Will it be too harsh or cold? Should I buy the dt880 only if I get a tube amp?

2) Something which will be an issue for me is the mids. People say that the mids in these phones are recessed, that's something I would like to avoid. However, do you thing that it would be a good idea to EQ the mids in these headphones? Would it screw up the sound signature and make it worse or boring, or is it a solution to my problem. If EQing the mids is not a good idea, do you think the mids in these phones will be too recessed for my taste? (for an idea of what I find recessed, the mids in the ath-m50 were too recessed for me, but it was pretty much the borderline. Anything with mids at least a bit more forward than the m50 is good enough for me. In that case I could just EQ it slighly without screwing up the sound.) How are the mids in the dt880 compared top the ath-m50?

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2,098 of 12,546
Hi ZombieX,

I've a DT880 with your nucleotide cable, and for my taste this is the best combination for the DT880 600ohms. Some friends that listen this can said if shows an cold presentation, with the mids laidback and hollow bass. I desagree of that, but the the subjectivity rules this hobby.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #2,099 of 12,546
Quote:
Im actually considering a tube amp now, but I wanted to note that I don't plan on tube rolling. Is it absolutely necessary or will the stock tubes be fine?

1. It depends on the amp, and it depends on the stock tubes - but generally speaking, tube rolling is a nice fun thing to do (a way to - relatively inexpensively - make minute adjustments to the sound of an amplifier), but not a base requirement. The majority of new tubes on the market are just fine - and hey, you always have the option later if the opportunity presents itself.

2. Generally speaking transformer coupled and hybrid tube amplifiers are less succeptible to big changes when tube rolling. OTL designs are usually "tubier" sounding, and are more affected. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #2,100 of 12,546
Quote:
Hey guys

I had some questions concerning the beyer dt880 600 ohm. I listen mostly to rock and metal so I was considering grado, but I wanted something with more bass, a bigger soundstage, and something which was good for other genres as well. It looks like a great headphone but I still have some issues with.

1) I don't want a tube amp under any circumstance. I want a solid state amp. Because of that, I thought an asgard would be a choice because it's a warm amp, so it's as close as you can get to a tube amp in a ss amp (in the price range of course). Do you think the dt880 would be enjoyable with the asgard, or do you think it's not worth getting the dt880 of I'm not buying a tube amp? Will it be too harsh or cold? Should I buy the dt880 only if I get a tube amp?

2) Something which will be an issue for me is the mids. People say that the mids in these phones are recessed, that's something I would like to avoid. However, do you thing that it would be a good idea to EQ the mids in these headphones? Would it screw up the sound signature and make it worse or boring, or is it a solution to my problem. If EQing the mids is not a good idea, do you think the mids in these phones will be too recessed for my taste? (for an idea of what I find recessed, the mids in the ath-m50 were too recessed for me, but it was pretty much the borderline. Anything with mids at least a bit more forward than the m50 is good enough for me. In that case I could just EQ it slighly without screwing up the sound.) How are the mids in the dt880 compared top the ath-m50?

DT880/600 ohm for metal/fast pace rock?? well to me the DT880 is awesome with that genre, my playlist is 90% metal & rock and yes i do listen to it trough my DT880/600 ohm
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back