The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 27, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #11,521 of 12,546
It occurred to me to buy the pads of the T1.2 and I put them in my DT 880, they are the perfect pads to my understanding for the dt 880, the same sound, but the serious notes increase a few decibels, giving more body to the bass.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #11,522 of 12,546
is anyone using the 600 ohm model with serious hi end gear?

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #11,524 of 12,546
multi k? i like the 880 so much i'm thinking to use it with my 7k chord stack. tt2 and mscaler. my dac journey started with the 600 nearly 4 years ago. i want to know if anyone else is doing the same type of thing.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #11,525 of 12,546
I use my 250ohm model with a Jotunmheim, which isn't really high end and also isn't known for it's single ended output, but it still drives them quite well, obviously. Ever since I put new pads on my DT880, the bass is VERY punchy! They're supposed to be direct replacements but I don't remeber the bass punching this hard ever! I bought this DT880 used off these forums back in 2011, they barely get much use nowadays, plus they REEK of cigarette smoke as I used to smoke when I used these the most.
To be honest, I much prefer the sound signature of my 3 Sony closed backs over my aging DT880. So I rarely listen to them anymore.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #11,526 of 12,546
To be honest, I much prefer the sound signature of my 3 Sony closed backs over my aging DT880. So I rarely listen to them anymore.

Same here. I think about selling them every so often... but decide against it, and I don't know why. I guess I like having them around?

Jan 28, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #11,527 of 12,546
Same here. I think about selling them every so often... but decide against it, and I don't know why. I guess I like having them around?
I also own a pair of DT880/ 600ohms & don’t listen to them often. They sound good with my vintage integrated amp though so periodically I’ll take out my amp and enjoy the Beyers with it. The reason I wouldn’t sell them myself is because of what I’d get in return. I’ve concluded long ago that I may as well keep them than sell them for next to nothing.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #11,528 of 12,546

I also own a pair of DT880/ 600ohms & don’t listen to them often. They sound good with my vintage integrated amp though so periodically I’ll take out my amp and enjoy the Beyers with it. The reason I wouldn’t sell them myself is because of what I’d get in return. I’ve concluded long ago that I may as well keep them than sell them for next to nothing.

Exactly! I'd rather just keep them than sell them for the less than $100 they're worth, especially mine, being as they smell like an ashtray.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #11,529 of 12,546
Hi. I bought DT880 Edition 250 ohm for reference mixing and music production three days ago and I find them quite uncomfortable. I guess I have elf ears or something, because outer parts of my ears (mostly upper and lower parts) start to get sore after using them for about 30 minutes. Also, my left ear's antihelix is touching the driver foam – it irritates my skin and makes it a bit red.

Frankly, I find this a bit strange because for the past 4 years I've been using on-ear Sony MDR-ZX100 cheapies, and they have been very comfortable, despite the fact that they touch my ears all the time. Is it because they are extremely light and don't have a high clamping force? But 880s are known to be light and have a comfortable clamp, right? The pads on Beyers are also superior to the ones on Sony's.

Is there any chance that the comfort on 880s will get better overtime? Or will they get even worse? Am I positioning them somewhat incorrectly or what?

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #11,530 of 12,546
Hi. I bought DT880 Edition 250 ohm for reference mixing and music production three days ago and I find them quite uncomfortable. I guess I have elf ears or something, because outer parts of my ears (mostly upper and lower parts) start to get sore after using them for about 30 minutes. Also, my left ear's antihelix is touching the driver foam – it irritates my skin and makes it a bit red.

Frankly, I find this a bit strange because for the past 4 years I've been using on-ear Sony MDR-ZX100 cheapies, and they have been very comfortable, despite the fact that they touch my ears all the time. Is it because they are extremely light and don't have a high clamping force? But 880s are known to be light and have a comfortable clamp, right? The pads on Beyers are also superior to the ones on Sony's.

Is there any chance that the comfort on 880s will get better overtime? Or will they get even worse? Am I positioning them somewhat incorrectly or what?

The DT 880 has a foam circle glued to driver under the driver foam/cloth, it makes the center of the driver stick out more than say the DT 990 which does not have the foam circle just the driver foam/cloth. This makes the DT 880 press against your ears more and be less comfortable than it’s brighter less damped sibling the DT 990. I did find the comfort got better with use though.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #11,531 of 12,546
Yeah, it seems this is the case. Pity, because these are my first proper headphones and I like their sound. I guess I'll have to sell them because I don't think the comfort will get better for me. The pads will soften as the time goes by and compress even more, hence, in my understanding, the ears will start touching even more surface of the foam/pads.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #11,532 of 12,546
It is interesting just how little you can pay for ear pads that actually feel as nice as the originals. These were under £7 when the originals are over £20. They are softer to the touch and feel to have the same luxury feel tho them. They also appear to have an even softer sponge inside too. The hole in the middle seems to be a fraction smaller than the originals as well as the whole thing actually, so are a little tight to get on. I bought them as in the picture, they don't have the holes as shown in my image below. The originals have loads of holes which I think results in too little bass, or more like the treble spike to be too apparent. I worried at first, but after trying them, they sound brilliant. I wouldn't want any more. It keeps it controlled while making the sharp spike in the treble (which i find a bit unpleasant) more balanced with the rest of it. Before these pads, I use some Hi-Fi man ear pads as I have mentioned further up the thread. They sounded very good but they are probably the most firm ear pads I have ever used. Not sure why they need to be this firm really. I will stick to the ones I have just bought here as they are so comfortable and make them sound better than the originals too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft-Sponge-Ear-Cushion-Cover-Earpads-1-Pair-for-Beyerdynamic-DT770-DT880-DT990/233430185465?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

P1020211.JPG

Below shows the new ear pads on the headphones and the original ones to the right. To experiment before I bought new ones, I tried covering up all the holes on the original ones with PVC tape, and that did make a difference to the bass. I personally think the originals shouldn't have these holes from the start. I'm used to bass light headphones. I have the audio technica ATH-AD700s and they seem to have even less bass than these, but don't have a slightly unpleasant spike to the higher frequencies in quite the same way, even though that is certainly the area they are excellent in.

I also bought this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ear-headband-Pads-for-Beyerdynamic-DT440-DT660-DT770-DT860-DT880-DT880PRO/151645378472?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The headband seemed to go tacky in very little time. I'm quite surprised by this given they are premium headphones. I have had this one for at least as long and despite maybe feeling a bit cheaper, it has shown no sign of damage, is thicker and feels like it will last much longer.

P1020212.JPG

My biggest problem with the DT880s is the reliability and build quality (in one area), which actually was a similar story i had with the AKG K702s, though these are far better than them. The K702s were built badly in general in my opinion

I first of all bought the 250ohm pro version with the coiled cable. These barely lasted 3 months before cutting out on one channel. This was because of some fault with the coiled cable. From that experience, I decided to skip going for that model again and went for the premium 600 ohm as it hat a straight cable. The difference I notice with these is that the metal isn't painted, and I am wondering if that is the reason why the adjustment is incredibly slack compared to the pro version. The pro's at leased clicked into different sizes with a satisfying click each time. These wouldn't stay in their position at all and the metal was clunking and rubbing against the headband (didn't know this at the time) So I returned these more or less instantly and got a replacement.

The replacement was just as slack. I think the little dents in the metal make next to no difference in terms of helping holding them in place. These ones were not quite as bad in terms of the metal rubbing. Luckily, the larger head you have (quite big in my case), the less likely this issue will be there. If you can see on the picture, I have wrapped some grey PVC tape (to try and hide it) and wrapped it around the metal. This keeps it permanently at the size I want it and stops it shrinking and then rubbing again. These headphones are generally built really well in most areas. But I think a major weakness is that plastic part that the adjustment goes through as well as the design of the adjustment part. This bit should be stronger than many other areas as it has to cope with movement. An odd choice to have this as cheap plastic that will wear over time. Luckily my solution with tape has worked and I just have replaces the tape a few times over the time i have owned them.

P1020213.JPG

This above is an area that I think really wasn't thought about properly. It from my experience would make them incredibly annoying to use on a very small size. As I explained, the tape i have put on prevents them from sliding up any further, so for me they are fine now, just think it is a design flaw. As when they are any closer to a smaller position, the tip of the metal bar scrapes against the headband when the ear cup is moved. It is not a nice sound hearing metal scraping against metal and it also kept getting stuck unless you move the ear cup in a specific way. I thought I would see more people point this out. Before I thought to put PVC tape where I have, I tried bending the metal slightly with some pliers to prevent it contacting the metal headband quite as much. I also first wrapped PVC tape around the tip of the bar where it says 14 which at least prevented that horrible metal on metal rubbing sound when putting them on and removing them. But this really limited the adjustment, so I bent it back and put tape where I have shown. So basically, from all 3 DT880s I have had, they are not nice to use on their small sizes due to this design. As the tape stops them going up any higher, no matter how much you move the cups now the tip of the bar just about avoids contacting the headband so it doesn't clunk or get stuck.

I've had my latest pair of premium 600ohm DT880s since june 2018, so a reasonably long time, but I still find it rather annoying that I have had to spend a lot of time working out a solution to the poor design.

The sound is just my preference, so I that is down to me wanting to replace the ear pads. But I would be interested to know if others have had problems like i have experienced.

After all this experimenting I did some time ago, they are now nice to use and the headband and ear pads i came across make them even better.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #11,533 of 12,546
Wow! Thanks for all the information. I have ordered those pads from eBay USA but will have to wait quite a while to receive them.

We must be experiencing different headphones. I have a very small head and these are the most comfortable headphones I have owned. Please see my Profile to see how many I have owned. The clamp is perfect and the headband is also perfect for me. I don't notice any metal on metal sound and they stay in place for my 3 hour listening sessions - no adjustments necessary.

I love the sound on these - especially the imaging for EDM. I am very quick to get rid of headphones but these are never going anywhere.

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #11,534 of 12,546
Maybe it was just me, but with many models that had this issue. Someone from this forum recommend them for me based on their sound, which i certainly do like. But i remember sending them a PM with a video of rotating the cups and they would move so far, rub on the metal then move that bit further as they should. They did not move smoothly until i have them on a higher size. And it simply was because of that metal tip getting stuck in the gap on the metal headband and rubbing one side or the other.

If you have ordered the ear pads, just be prepared they do change the sound somewhat. Some people like it and some done at much, but i find the peak in the lower treble (that reading about it seems to be common with beyerdydamic) quite unpleasant. Despite my ATH-AD700s probably having more treble, they sound a bit more pleasant in that area.

These pads make the treble spike less apparent, but without making them sound muddy. They also make them sound warmer and more punchy too. I can actually compare them to my AKG K550s now in the bass area. They don't quite have the same depth to the lower notes, but surprisingly, they do now have a bit more impact. I feel some will say these earpads make them have too much bass. But they are still nowhere near what many headphones have. And nowhere close to my 2.1 speaker system with JBL control 1s and a wharfedale SW150 in terms of bass. They still sound very open and spacious, the sound just is more balanced now compared to using the original pads.

it is up to you weather you use the foam disks. For me i prefer them as my ears comfortably rest against them. They also help with cutting out some of the the harshness of the spike in the treble that i am not keen on, but certainly don't ruin it.

Feb 23, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #11,535 of 12,546
That sounds good to me. I am a bass head and have the bass on the Schiit Loki cranked all the way up for these headphones. They take the EQ really well and make them rumble without messing up the mids. I don't mind spending a small sum of money for experimentation purposes. I recently spent $78 on a pair of Auteur pads for my HE-500 and didn't like the sound at all. That was a fairly expensive experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back