The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 23, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #11,537 of 12,546
:)

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #11,538 of 12,546
I can add that if you would rather have more bass than they give you, covering up the holes inside the ear pads with PVC tape will help stop the foam absorbing as much impact from the bass. May be worth trying this before adding EQ. I think it is the number of holes in the original pads that make them seem rather lightweight in the bass.

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #11,539 of 12,546
I'm seriously considering buying some DT880s... again.

The reason why is because I owned some back in highschool and remember really enjoying the sound and comfort. I especially liked how detailed they were, and how accurate the imaging was. The bass extended deeply and had enough punch for me, and I liked the sparkly treble. The one thing I didn't like much was the midrange, but from memory that wasn't a big deal. I did sell them, but I remember regretting that almost immediately.

Now since then I've grown a lot, and as a sensible man of 26 years I'm less interested in headphones, but I have fond memories of those DT880s, and what I'm wondering is whether my desire to buy them is fuelled mostly by nostalgia and rose tinted glasses or whether I actually want them.

I'm aware that since then the headphone market has expanded enormously, and maybe the DT880s have been superseded by another set of headphones in a similar pricerange which offer pretty much the same sound signature but better. If that were the case I'd be better off buying them.

So that's basically it: Are the DT880s still unique in their offering, or has something come along in the last ~10 years which is better?

Feb 26, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #11,540 of 12,546
DT880 are still competent, I rock the Sennheiser 650 from time to time. Nowadays they are basically near the starting point though, you're right. Hifiman planars have cornered the low-end headphone market for the price of the DT880, Beyerdynamic have updated flagship headphones in the DT1990 and T1 rev 2, which are in the 700 to 1000 dollars range.

I would compare the DT880 to something like the Focal Elex or Focal Clear (I have the Elex). Stunningly detailed, technologically advanced (fast and dynamic aluminium-magensium drivers) with strong bass.

Feb 26, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #11,541 of 12,546
Are you kidding? These are my favorite headphones to date. I just received a second pair today in the mail. I totally love these for EDM, acoustic and pop. I have sold/returned so many other "higher end" headphones because they don't compare to these for me. Check my Profile to see the highly regarded headphones I have gotten rid of. Keep in mind that my Emotiva BasX A-100 amp with the jumpers installed plus the Loki are what powers these to make them sound so amazing. These babies require power. If you don't give them that then you will be underwhelmed, to say the least.

Since they aren't very expensive, you have almost nothing to lose by giving them another shot. I would go for it.

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #11,542 of 12,546
Hmm okay, maybe I will then. To be honest I care a lot less about micro-analysing the differences between headphones now, everything basically sounds pretty good once you get past a certain point. It's real easy to get emotionally invested in a set of headphones because someone just happened to write the right words about them when really the only thing that matters is how you feel when they're on your head playing your music.

It's funny because when I first bought them the exchange rate was drastically different and they were much cheaper in my local currency. Now they're actually a reasonably significant expense... Which is probably why I'm second guessing myself lol

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #11,543 of 12,546
They're still a good deal.. I have a pair in my drawer (my 2nd or 3rd pair), the cabling is broken and the headband is past the point of no return. I could get them fixed up but would require some soldering.. maybe I'll ask Vesper audio to take a look at them.

They were my first headphones after the Sennheiser 555, 15 years ago, and I've moved onto other headphones since then, hence my off-the-cuff attitude. They're still great headphones.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #11,544 of 12,546
Hmm okay, maybe I will then. To be honest I care a lot less about micro-analysing the differences between headphones now, everything basically sounds pretty good once you get past a certain point. It's real easy to get emotionally invested in a set of headphones because someone just happened to write the right words about them when really the only thing that matters is how you feel when they're on your head playing your music.

It's funny because when I first bought them the exchange rate was drastically different and they were much cheaper in my local currency. Now they're actually a reasonably significant expense... Which is probably why I'm second guessing myself lol
If you're located in EU, I could sell you my DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #11,545 of 12,546
DT880 are still competent, I rock the Sennheiser 650 from time to time. Nowadays they are basically near the starting point though, you're right. Hifiman planars have cornered the low-end headphone market for the price of the DT880, Beyerdynamic have updated flagship headphones in the DT1990 and T1 rev 2, which are in the 700 to 1000 dollars range.

I would compare the DT880 to something like the Focal Elex or Focal Clear (I have the Elex). Stunningly detailed, technologically advanced (fast and dynamic aluminium-magensium drivers) with strong bass.

The 880s were my first "real" pair of headphones. I have bought ten other pairs of varying styles from different manufacturers since then (including the Drop DT 177X GO), and sold three of them (Fostex, MrSpeakers, Sennheiser), but I still have and love both Beyers.

@adeadcrab, you surprised me with your comparison to the Focal Elex! Maybe it has something to do with impedance. My Elex are my all-time favorite - compared to them, my 32 ohm 880s sound two-dimensional, almost muffled and a little weak, while the Elex are three-dimensional, more detailed, and more alive.

I keep and use the 880s for two big pluses: comfort, and made in Germany. I'm a sucker for stuff made in Europe or the USA. And these feel SO nice to put on! I mostly use them to watch TV, but I do enjoy music on them occasionally. They were a great buy, especially for a European-made product. I paid 4.5 times more for the Elex, and the jump in sound quality totally matches that IMO.

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #11,546 of 12,546
I adjusted my impressions when someone above said the DT880 were still amazing. It's been a few years since I've used the DT880 but they're both on the neutral side, tonality-wise.

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #11,547 of 12,546
My Elex are my all-time favorite - compared to them, my 32 ohm 880s sound two-dimensional, almost muffled and a little weak, while the Elex are three-dimensional, more detailed, and more alive.
AIUI the 32 ohm 880 is considered to be the poorest of the 880s, that's what steered me to the 600 ohm model. However I haven't auditioned the 32 ohm version
personally so am just basing this on other folks' subjective impressions, e.g. Tyll Hertsens.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #11,548 of 12,546
AIUI the 32 ohm 880 is considered to be the poorest of the 880s, that's what steered me to the 600 ohm model. However I haven't auditioned the 32 ohm version
personally so am just basing this on other folks' subjective impressions, e.g. Tyll Hertsens.

That makes sense. I chose the low impedance version to plug into my DAP and the headphones jack on my Onkyo CD player, before I had a headphone amp or really even understood what an amp could do for nicer headphones. Might be interesting someday to pick up a set of the 600 ohms and compare and contrast them to my trusty 32s...

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #11,549 of 12,546
If you're located in EU, I could sell you my DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm. I bought them about two weeks ago and haven't used them for more than 10 hours.

Thanks but I'm waay the heck down in New Zealand, which is part of the reason why it's so expensive to get them...

Tbh I'm more keen on the older 2003 model since I prefer the aesthetics but it seems like the price is a little jacked up on those because they're rare or collectable or something. I have my eye on a second hand pair which I'll probably go for if nobody else does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back