The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 5, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #11,461 of 12,546
Hello all!

I have a pair of DT880s 600 ohm headphones. My DAC/Amp is the Apogee Duet for the Mac and iPad, which is the most recent version. I found the headphone out to have the higher frequencies boosted a bit. So I tried the line outs. No such problem anymore. I do not hear any distortion, and this sounds very similar to the headphones out in sound quality. My dampening ratio is about 7:1, but this works quite well. Go figure. The way I see it, the headphones out is never as good as the line outs of an amp. Research on the performance parameters such as FR of both the headphones out, and lines out, confirm this. My high impedance headphones seem to be making this work.

I heard somewhere that the high impedance headphones are less sensitive to damping ratios. Is this true? On another matter, as to a problem that rarely happens, playing high res files from Qobuz, there can be a couple moments of static. When I replay that same passage of music, there is no static. What can be causing this? I do not think it is my DT880s. Isn't there some error correction or handling in the protocol that sends the audio over the Net?

Tucson

I usually like headphones with boosted trreble, but these seem to have it in a region where it did at times seem a bit harsh. My Audio Technica ATH-AD700s have as much if not more treble (made more apparent by even less bass), but seem less harsh.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velour-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I keep going between these pads for a few months then back to the originals and they make them sound so different. Much more punchy bass and because of how much treble these have, it doesn't take away enough to make them lacking in this area. They make the midrange warmer and the overall sound more balanced. If I want a brighter and slightly more spacious sound, I go back to the original pads, which are softer and more comfortable. But then find I often want to boost the bass, which on my A3 adds distortion when it gets close to maximum volume. This is why I use the other pads more. It adds bass without having to add it at the source.

Dec 6, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #11,464 of 12,546
Try the DT880-600 with tubes first...

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #11,465 of 12,546
Interesting! I was thinking of stepping up to the T1 one of these days, but now I think maybe not.
I have both, DT880 ant T1 1st gen.
First time i tried T1 I was dissapointed, because i expected bigger difference. But after i used to the sound, I occasionally try DT880 and it is a big step down in SQ. Differences are in resolution, imaging, soundstage, microdynamics, fanstastic treble quality (not quantity, it has different treble spike than DT880). Sound is much closer to the real sound. T1 has much more air. But in my opinion it depends on the price. DT880 for it price is phenomenal! I got T1 for about $350 and for this price it is great step up. I would not pay more probably. Im using it with tubes.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #11,467 of 12,546
I think the DT 880 is great for the price, but I sold my DT 880 after I got my T1.
+1 Totally agree 880's are great, but they remain in their case after getting the T1; both build and sound.. I've always loved how the T1 drivers are angled so they are parallel with your ear.

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #11,468 of 12,546
I can't hear long time with T1, too much airy (tried gen1 and gen2)
my DT880 still left sided with unplugged mode + mangent mod + headband cable chenged.+ new original pads.
connected with balanced cable.
*I destroy the original drivers twice (250ohm and 600ohm) because of modding, now its with 250ohm drivers

I just not have the time to mod the T1.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #11,469 of 12,546
dt880 are my office headphones with yaxi lamb leather pads.. on the super old Behringer Usb dac they pretty ok! and no fatigue with the treble.
But really they are no real step up to my 10 year old AKG 240 Studio also modded with tape and new pads.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #11,471 of 12,546
when you remove the pads you cover two holes with sticky tape. the sound gets warmer and punchier on those neutral studio headphones

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #11,472 of 12,546
I can't hear long time with T1, too much airy (tried gen1 and gen2)
my DT880 still left sided with unplugged mode + mangent mod + headband cable chenged.+ new original pads.
connected with balanced cable.
*I destroy the original drivers twice (250ohm and 600ohm) because of modding, now its with 250ohm drivers

I just not have the time to mod the T1.

And here my T1.2 is darker than my HD 6XX and sounds nothing like the DT 880, it has excellent imaging but honestly don’t find it an airy sounding headphone. It’s warm and dark with mild treble energy. The DT 1990 Pro and Amiron Home are bright compared to it. Though an T1.2 I tried in the past on the same system as my T1.2 was more in line with the DT 880 but with way too much treble and air, I tried to like it but couldn’t. No idea why there is such a difference between the T1.2’s I’ve tried, they’re literally very different sounding headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #11,473 of 12,546
I have found substantial sample-to-sample variations between Beyer headphones in the past. For example, no two DT1350s I have heard sound alike!

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #11,474 of 12,546
I have found substantial sample-to-sample variations between Beyer headphones in the past. For example, no two DT1350s I have heard sound alike!

I’ve only come across that with the T1.2; the Amiron Homes and DT 1990s I tried were consistent as were DT 880’s and DT 990’s. Two newer T1.2’s sounded I tried sounded dark, warm, and a bit bassy. The other one somewhat lean, very airy, and with too much treble energy creating a slightly hazy sound to me (lots of treble energy can make a headphone sound a bit hazy to me).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back