The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 21, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #11,446 of 12,546
A good way to check the bass is to slap on some leather pads and do some sweeps.
IIRC, in the t1 thread, there were few experiements with sheepskin, which resulted in heavier bass.
though not ideal for neutrality, it is a good way to check for funny business
i've used alpha pads b4, and also Fostex pads, just for kicks.

giphy.gif

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #11,447 of 12,546
How does the beyer compare to your high end cans reddog? also is anyone using the 880 600 ohm with plus 2K hi end gear?

Sep 22, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #11,448 of 12,546
Well i did mention that i also noticed it with the test i did when playing a track with just lyrics - but adding a bass tone in the background. The midrange always seems fine, so long as the drivers are not having to cope with really deep base. But when they do it has this odd effect on the midrange.

However, I have tried them from the headphone socket on my amplifier that i use for my speaker setup (pioneer A-209R) and that seems to be able to go a lot louder than i would chose to listen to and avoids the issue until a certain volume. And I couldn't listen that high. But I don't have this amp at my desk and there are so many things connected to the inputs that there is always quiet interference from it, so that is why i use a separate headphone amplifier. I may have to look in to one that can go louder as it doesn't seem to handle the sound that well when it is close to maximum.

I should have mentioned that I have the 600ohm version. I like the FiiO A3 amp as it is small and can be used without power.

Any other battery powered headphone amplifiers anyone could suggest that are a bit louder than this?

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #11,450 of 12,546
@TheGiantHogweed. Sounds like your Fiio A3 is overloaded. Do you know how many mW it will send into 600ohm headphones? Playing very bass heavy music puts even more strain (on the amplifier) for a headphone that I have always thought was a bit bass light. I use mine with a Centrance Hifi M8 on medium gain but these only come up used occasionally. Try plugging the Fiio A3 into its charger when playing bass heavy material and see if that helps. The unit might get a bit hot though.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #11,451 of 12,546
@TheGiantHogweed. Sounds like your Fiio A3 is overloaded. Do you know how many mW it will send into 600ohm headphones? Playing very bass heavy music puts even more strain (on the amplifier) for a headphone that I have always thought was a bit bass light. I use mine with a Centrance Hifi M8 on medium gain but these only come up used occasionally. Try plugging the Fiio A3 into its charger when playing bass heavy material and see if that helps. The unit might get a bit hot though.

On Fiio's site, it says it is 270 mW (32 Ω)
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/15/parameters
It does recommend not to use over 150ohm headphones, but i had heard others got on with the 600ohm headphoens ok with this amplifier. It most of the time goes loud enough close to maximum, but i often want a bit more bass so use the boost on it, and it is then that my DT880s really struggle. This amplifier is find at lower volumes with the bass boost on with other headphones, even if the volume from the headphones is far louder.

Charging it doesn't seem to make a difference to the sound. Even with the bass boost switch off, it still struggles with some types of music when close to maximum volume.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #11,452 of 12,546
I power my DT880 600ohm from a LD MKIII rated at 350 mW @ 300/600 Ohms. I have the LD on 5 gain and sound is excellent with ample power IMHO.
These are quite neutral compared to my DT990 600ohm but not as fun.
They do require a bit of horsepower to shine.
Was thinking of selling but still enjoy them when I get a chance to listen to them. Too many hp's in the collection right now and I just accidentally ordered the X2 :L3000:

Sep 23, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #11,453 of 12,546
i don't know what sort of amplifier my Pioneer A-209R uses, but the headphone output on that is way louder than anything else i have used and it does not distort the 600ohm DT880s until uncomfortably loud listening levels. Everything else seems to not get them very loud or struggle when they are close to maximum. Why would an amplifier for speakers be better for headphones than many of my headphone amplifiers? I don't want to use it for this as it is way too large and has so many devices connected to it that it has interference which is only really noticeable with headphones. Basically the dial not ven close to half way is already way louder than my A3 is on maximum.

Given this amp is not really for headphones, and it only cost around 130GBP, i really hope there are some headphone amplifiers out there that are a fair bit cheaper, but can go far louder than my A3. My Pioneer is designed for speakers, yet if i disconnect everything but the headphones and 1 input, it sounds way better than my A3. It also had bass and treble dials. I wish more headphone amplfiers had these as a bonus. Far better than software EQ.

I don't want to cause damage to my hearing, but being able to go much louder than you need to ikely will mean they won't struggle at the maximum volume you would listen to them as it don't make the amp struggle.

Anyone know if there is anything out there under 100GBP that could power these well? This is already over twice the price of my A3 which can very nearly get them loud enugh without messing up the sound.

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #11,454 of 12,546
I power my DT880 600ohm from a LD MKIII rated at 350 mW @ 300/600 Ohms. I have the LD on 5 gain and sound is excellent with ample power IMHO.
These are quite neutral compared to my DT990 600ohm but not as fun.
They do require a bit of horsepower to shine.
Was thinking of selling but still enjoy them when I get a chance to listen to them. Too many hp's in the collection right now and I just accidentally ordered the X2 :L3000:

My DT880/ 600 ohm sound their best with my vintage Kenwood KA-8006 integrated amplifier, 70 wpc. [1974].

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #11,455 of 12,546
I always heard the hp jack on most receivers was cheap but I bet that vintage jack is superior to current ht receivers hp outs.
I had an old skool Harman Kardon receiver and the hp out sounded great!

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #11,456 of 12,546
Does anyone know the best headband pad for these headphones? I have the DT880 premiums and am not very impressed with it really. I prefer the poppers the pros had. Also the materiel covering the foam where it puts most pressure on my head seems to have gone very tacky and doesn't feel nice. I know that i don't have greasy hair or anything. My original K550s lasted several years with hours of use and they didn't seem to have this issue until a lot later. At the time, I bought a replacement for my K550s with a headband pad what seemed to be very similar to the DT880 pro. it had 6 poppers, but i had to cut the end 2 off to get it to fit the K550s. That doesn't seem available from the seller any more on ebay. That was much nicer feeling metiriel even if it wasn't as "premium" feeling initially. The foam was also much softer. I find the current headband pad on my DT880s a bit too firm.

Any suggestions for headband pads that have softer foam than the originals? thanks.

P1050812.JPG

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #11,458 of 12,546
May I suggest “flat”...:beyersmile:

After all, they are DT880-600s!

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #11,459 of 12,546
Hello all!

I have a pair of DT880s 600 ohm headphones. My DAC/Amp is the Apogee Duet for the Mac and iPad, which is the most recent version. I found the headphone out to have the higher frequencies boosted a bit. So I tried the line outs. No such problem anymore. I do not hear any distortion, and this sounds very similar to the headphones out in sound quality. My dampening ratio is about 7:1, but this works quite well. Go figure. The way I see it, the headphones out is never as good as the line outs of an amp. Research on the performance parameters such as FR of both the headphones out, and lines out, confirm this. My high impedance headphones seem to be making this work.

I heard somewhere that the high impedance headphones are less sensitive to damping ratios. Is this true? On another matter, as to a problem that rarely happens, playing high res files from Qobuz, there can be a couple moments of static. When I replay that same passage of music, there is no static. What can be causing this? I do not think it is my DT880s. Isn't there some error correction or handling in the protocol that sends the audio over the Net?

Tucson

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #11,460 of 12,546
[snip]

Anyone know if there is anything out there under 100GBP that could power these well? This is already over twice the price of my A3 which can very nearly get them loud enugh without messing up the sound.

Thanks.

I know I am responding here to an older post, but here is my two cents anyway. There is one that should work. The JDS Labs Atom. It has performance specs that are quite good, better than units costing more. I mean allot more. JMHO

Tucson

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back