The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #11,132 of 12,546
the 600ohms thru OTL amp is such a Godsent endgame.

perfect all-rounder.

speechless after a nonstop 4 hr session with multiple genres.

if the recording is bad, you will know in a jiffy thru these cans.
That is what I like to hear. I have yet to purchase mine and posts like this are reassuring that these are a good choice.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #11,133 of 12,546
That is what I like to hear. I have yet to purchase mine and posts like this are reassuring that these are a good choice.
Among my headphones I like my DT880s most. They're transparent, articulate, precise. If you're looking for a clear window to music within such price point, the DT880s are among the best alternatives.

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #11,135 of 12,546
the synergy with OTL amps is bordering ridiculous. so effortless.
The 880s hit their sweet spot once certain loudness is reached, as do most headphones. 80-85dB depending on the songs I guess? Below that they sound a bit too ‘dry’ to my ears. Just like how certain headphones sound ‘muddy’ and ‘dull’ at lower listening level.
IMHO they play well with every source (that’s powerful enough to drive them loud enough without getting distorted) I throw at. I mostly use them with dedicated amplifier like the O2 or FiiO A5, but my MacBook Pro, iPhones and iPods all handle the 880s pretty well, given the songs played on those devices are loud enough.

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #11,136 of 12,546
The 880s hit their sweet spot once certain loudness is reached, as do most headphones. 80-85dB depending on the songs I guess? Below that they sound a bit too ‘dry’ to my ears. Just like how certain headphones sound ‘muddy’ and ‘dull’ at lower listening level.
IMHO they play well with every source (that’s powerful enough to drive them loud enough without getting distorted) I throw at. I mostly use them with dedicated amplifier like the O2 or FiiO A5, but my MacBook Pro, iPhones and iPods all handle the 880s pretty well, given the songs played on those devices are loud enough.

Good point about the sweet spot. At its sweet spot, its magic. I have it hooked up to a humble little Bravo Ocean which refuses to die even after 5 years. And even after hearing TOTL dynamics, one can easily go back to an 880. The differences are the higher TOTL models can go to more deafening volumes without much chaos, and slightly cleaner across the board. But the differences are so minuscule with TOTL its mind boggling. You would think a 5-10k system would make you float in the air. In saying that, if cans are your 'thang' then some of them are worth it for the appreciation of design, R&D / engineering involved, etc. etc. A Utopia at lets say 2-2.5k to call it a day and move onto a new hobby is not the worst thing one can do in this hobby. The former trio Kings with a little tinkering are still able to create magic with music. And if its not enough, have a drink or two, get some neon bar signs, and dim the lights. :D

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #11,137 of 12,546
I'm sure this has been covered but a few specific questions here. The chrome special can be had very cheap nowadays (compared to the standard premium) and I wanted to pick up a Fulla 2 for a very reasonable combo price for use on my ps4 and occasionally on pc if I'm not feeling the speakers. Is there a major difference in sound between the chrome and standard premium? I saw some people had a sliding issue but I have a huge head and typically leave all my phones at max size anyway. And it uses a different headband and earpad softness?

For reference I have always been curious about Beyers, currently own He400i, m100's, and a very ratty pair of Senn hd558 which is what I'm mainly replacing.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #11,138 of 12,546
As a owner of the standard Premium Edition & All Black Edition, (Note my standard is a few years old). I actually think the newer Chrome/Black is slightly warmer which is a good thing.
The hotter treble is tamed a little, as the sliders go, yeah they will come loose really quick. It's just the design in general. It happens on the T70/90s too. What I did was just take off the headphone pad and replace it with a standard pro version. They cost about $11, I had an extra pro slider set from a broken set so I replaced the ones that came on them. But none of that is really needed, even if the sliders go out they have enough clamp to stay on your head.

May 15, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #11,141 of 12,546
I got a DT880 Pro Black Edition today. I'm wondering about the durability of the paint/print on the grill. Will the print flake/wear off like on some of Beyers silver grills (T1 for example)?

I've never seen wear on a T1 grill, although they are extremely tricky to photograph.
Pictures don't make them justice.

May 15, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #11,142 of 12,546
I've never seen wear on a T1 grill, although they are extremely tricky to photograph.
Pictures don't make them justice.

The print flaking off with time on T1 is common, at least on the 1st gen models (probably 2nd gen too). When the print started flaking off I just scraped it away completely with my fingernail (looks better without it), this is how that looks now:
IMG_2921.jpg

The print on a 880 Pro looks like this:
IMG_2924.jpg

Can't tell if that is just plain surface paint like on the T1

May 15, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #11,143 of 12,546
Hi guys quick question. I just bought some of the Dekoni earpads for my 880's because I was having ear pain problems even with the stock replacements (apparently my ears stick out farther now that I've lost weight) and someone here recommended the velour ones as a deep replacement that might fix my problem. What I'm wondering is the Dekoni pads have an integrated bit of fabric behind them and I don't know if I should pull off the factory one that is held in place by the ring or just leave it and put these on over it. The one on the dekoni looks much thinner so I was thinking maybe it's intended to leave the factory one in place?

May 16, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #11,144 of 12,546
Since the dt880 has the factory one and a lot of filt for damping reasons inside, I think the thin fabric of the dekoni pads will not make any difference.
You should let the original in place.

But other than that, pads have a huge impact on the sound of a headphone especially of half-opened like the dt880.
You will have to try, but buying pads designed for an different headphone might result sounding strange.

May 16, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #11,145 of 12,546
Since the dt880 has the factory one and a lot of filt for damping reasons inside, I think the thin fabric of the dekoni pads will not make any difference.
You should let the original in place.

But other than that, pads have a huge impact on the sound of a headphone especially of half-opened like the dt880.
You will have to try, but buying pads designed for an different headphone might result sounding strange.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, the pad model is listed as for the DT770/880/990 it's just made by a third party. I also emailed them to see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back