The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #10,891 of 12,546
I am happy enough with my DT880.250's in retrospect I might have gotten the 600's however it is only recently I have an amp that would have done that well with the 600's

I got a DV 336SE for xmas.. and am running it with RCA 6SN7GT and GE 6AS7GA .. this is quite good sounding w/ the DT880.250's

I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the Dark Voice 336SE as a option to consider as an amp solution for your DT880's

I have also use the DV w/ my DT770 Pro 80's good result also..

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #10,892 of 12,546
I just purchased the DT 880 All-Black-Edition (250ohm). This is my first Beyerdynamic pair. One thing that's always been noted in reviews/posts is how incredibly soft and "pillow-like" the pads are; however, the unit I received has fairly stiff foam in the pads and a much rougher texture than I was lead to imagine. It's roughly equivalent to a pin cushion in terms of firmness/texture.

The HM5 velour, TS-671, SHP9500, and even stock SE-A1000 pads all have a softer foam. If anything, the DT880 I received feels equivalent to any other "standard" replacement velour chinese earpad (very close to the SR950 pads). Is this normal? Does it need some kind of "break-in" to achieve the proclaimed legendary comfort? Or did the all-black-edition cut corners and make changes to save costs?

I sent an email query to Beyerdynamic, but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask here if anyone with the older, gray style DT770/DT880/DT990 can make a direct comparison to their pads.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #10,893 of 12,546
That Dark Voice seems to have recently gone on sale for $200. Can anyone tell me what that would do to an 880 vs a Fiio A5?

Fwiw, I'm using an iPhone 6S Plus' headphone jack as a source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just purchased the DT 880 All-Black-Edition (250ohm). This is my first Beyerdynamic pair. One thing that's always been noted in reviews/posts is how incredibly soft and "pillow-like" the pads are; however, the unit I received has fairly stiff foam in the pads and a much rougher texture than I was lead to imagine. It's roughly equivalent to a pin cushion in terms of firmness/texture.

I sent an email query to Beyerdynamic, but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask here if anyone with the older, gray style DT770/DT880/DT990 can make a direct comparison to their pads.

Just received the Chrome version myself and I would say they're less pillowy than the original Premiums I tired years ago. They're def not quite as comfy, but I think it's mostly due to the pressure from the headband. You might be on to something tho!

One thing I did notice however was that the pads on the Chrome version don't touch ,y ears as much as the original pads.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #10,894 of 12,546

The HM5 velour, TS-671, SHP9500, and even stock SE-A1000 pads all have a softer foam. If anything, the DT880 I received feels equivalent to any other "standard" replacement velour chinese earpad (very close to the SR950 pads). Is this normal? Does it need some kind of "break-in" to achieve the proclaimed legendary comfort? Or did the all-black-edition cut corners and make changes to save costs?

It's not just you. See my post a few pages back and the person after me. http://www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-discussion-thread/10800#post_13360597

I had the all black 880 and 990 Premium at the same time a few weeks ago, both brand new. The gray 990 pads were definitely more comfortable.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #10,895 of 12,546

I do not have the All Black edition but my DT880 (600 Ohm) stock grey pads are soft and very comfortable.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #10,896 of 12,546
  I do not have the All Black edition but my DT880 (600 Ohm) stock grey pads are soft and very comfortable.

*************************** +1

The silver pads are other worldly velvety velour, and the limited edition (770.80) feel very much stranger, though get comfortable after break in. They in no way are like the silver pads, and I will get only silvers from now on.

devil_face.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #10,899 of 12,546

Have you heard back from Beyerdynamic? There have been several people commenting on the stiffer, black velours on recent models like the all-black DT880 and all-black DT990. I have the all-black DT990 and the pads do seem stiffer than usual.

Please let us know what Beyerdynamic says, I would be interested to hear their response.

You can always get a pair of the standard grey velours:

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT990V-Headphone-Pads-Silver/dp/B001BYL5YE

Or the blacks:

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT990VB-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B008XEYT6G

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #10,900 of 12,546

Have you heard back from Beyerdynamic? There have been several people commenting on the stiffer, black velours on recent models like the all-black DT880 and all-black DT990. I have the all-black DT990 and the pads do seem stiffer than usual.

Please let us know what Beyerdynamic says, I would be interested to hear their response.

You can always get a pair of the standard grey velours:

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT990V-Headphone-Pads-Silver/dp/B001BYL5YE

Or the blacks:

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT990VB-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B008XEYT6G

No official word back from Beyedynamic yet.  I may grab a new set of gray velours to compare in a few days if I don't hear anything.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #10,902 of 12,546
  The black Pads are stiffer even the one from the DT770 is a bit stiffer than the pads for the DT880.YES i have all 3.

Yeah, the pads on the 770s have always been different, and have always been stiffer. They also have less girth where the padding is. The 770's pads are part no. EDT-770V. They're designed for closed-back headphones and using them on the DT880 or DT990 pretty much ruins the sound. Similarly, the pads for the DT880 & DT990 are the same, part no. EDT-990V for silver EDT-990VB for black, are designed for open-back headphones, and sound bad on the 770s.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #10,904 of 12,546
Response I got from the Beyerdynamic Germany Office :
Earpads are the same as on the all black version. The filling is identical on the gray and black earpads, but the lining is indeed a bit smoother on the gray ones. Note: a bit, not a lot.

Interesting that the "filling" (foam, I assume) is the same. Maybe it just needs time to break in? I assume the "lining" in this case is the velour cloth covering the foam, but I guess he could also be speaking about the pleather that forms the stiched-on seal.  If he meant the velour, then it's good to know that the friction from the black pads is caused by a difference in roughness.

I'm likely going to grab some gray velour pads new as well so I can measure the padding firmness and textile roughness side-by-side directly.

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #10,905 of 12,546
On a foolish whim, I picked up a pair of DT880 600 ohm cans - fully aware of the divisive thoughts out there on these things.  I have to say, I'm really enjoying them.  Perversely, more than I thought I would.  I dug out my old Burson HA-160 amp which feels like a nice pairing.  I think if the treble extended any farther, I would want to put my head through a window, but these really ride a nice line. They do remind me of the Sennheiser HD 800s (and kind of my old ATH-W1000s), which I had and sold, mostly because of the treble, and the comfort level.  These do both better, and are nice compliment to my 20 (!) other pairs of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back