The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 30, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #10,816 of 12,548
Hello friends!

I am curious if you could help me!

I am considering Beyer DT 880 600 Ohm Manufaktur and Akg K 702 for classical and acoustic music.

Can you share your opinions, what would be better value for this genre?

Being a classical musician, I would really like to enjoy my music more.

My library is FLAC and SACD.

I will buy AMP/DAC, as for a moment I have only computer soundcard.

Thank you in advance!
normal_smile .gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #10,821 of 12,548
  Hello friends!

I am curious if you could help me!

I am considering Beyer DT 880 600 Ohm Manufaktur and Akg K 702 for classical and acoustic music.

Can you share your opinions, what would be better value for this genre?

Being a classical musician, I would really like to enjoy my music more.

My library is FLAC and SACD.

I will buy AMP/DAC, as for a moment I have only computer soundcard.

Thank you in advance!
normal_smile .gif

Ok then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you happen to have an opinion about my dilemma?

I would be very happy if you could help me!

Thanks!

I am doing an exhaustive research of headphones and this is on my list of cans to get. Since I don't own either of these two, I will give you a professional reviewer who does. Ken Rockwell said of the two you're looking at:
"get the DT 880 for enjoying music, and possibly the K702 for creating it." From what I can tell re his reviews Ken listens to classical as well as rock and pop. 

http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/akg/k702.htm

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #10,822 of 12,548

I am doing an exhaustive research of headphones and this is on my list of cans to get. Since I don't own either of these two, I will give you a professional reviewer who does. Ken Rockwell said of the two you're looking at:
"get the DT 880 for enjoying music, and possibly the K702 for creating it." From what I can tell re his reviews Ken listens to classical as well as rock and pop. 

http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/akg/k702.htm

Ken Rockwell...
eek.gif

Now there is an audio authority.
confused_face.gif
  I haven't seen a link to his click through site in years.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #10,825 of 12,548

Ken Rockwell...
eek.gif

Now there is an audio authority.
confused_face.gif
  I haven't seen a link to his click through site in years.

indeed. you are true to your name. xD

He is someone who's tried BOTH headphones, his musical preferences are similar to to that of the requester. He is PAID for what he does. And unlike those in industry who have cozy arrangements with distributors and manufacturers, he doesn't so his opinion is a bit more valid and he'll be true to his preferences. Often times those with site advertising of the equipment they review often make their language so inoffensive it is like parsing tea leaves as to what they're actually saying. Their language is often as nuanced as the Federal Reserve in making statements to the market. Purposely Obtuse. So yes that's why I read Ken and the amateur reviewers on this site as well as those with cozy arrangements to manufacturers and make my judgement. 

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #10,826 of 12,548
Thanks guys.

Is there anyone who had or tried both?
Sadly, I can not audition them, that is why I must ask for your opinions.

Thank you! :)

to be honest they are not that expensive, and both are highly resalable.  If you are classical musician you know the value of the equipment and what they resell for. Get both, second hand preferrable and they are burned in already for you. See if they synergize well with the equipment you have on hand and decide. That's what I often did with audio equipment. The cost of "trial" is reduced when you buy a good second hand as you can often get close to your purchase price on these head phones both of which have held value over time. What's riskier is trying some of the new entrants into the business like NAD, B&W, B&O, etc etc and get burned on resale when you don't get half of what you paid for. And there are  A LOT of folks who've tried both on this site, so read through this thread and the other thread. Do the leg work man. May you find your headphone paradise.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #10,828 of 12,548
Thanks man. I like the expression. Do the legs work. :)

If for classical, the 880 is nice but to me my closed dt660 beats it. Maybe my ears are screwed up, but i EQ dt660 down few db (40hz and below), and then its a super clean super flat response. I dont get why it beats my 880 (250 ohm edition). Possibly my amp /dac. IIRC David Mahler said the K701 is even better for Classical ( I will see if i can find quote) . K701/DT660 combo doesn't sound bad to me. I have not had K701, but would like to down the road. Its possible dt880 600ohm is even better than dt660 for Classical with right amp/dac. There is risk and heartache in this journey trying to find right sound. But dt660 won't break bank (79$ US). I still cant believe how neutral it is :D , makes dt880 seem bassy, and we know they are not that bassy

I also recall someone saying dt860 midrange was near/superior to dt880. But I have not gotten a pair . Same driver as dt660 but open design. Rarer now to get. And even dt440 some prefered to dt660, but i have both and disagree (for classical music types anyway) dt660 is the flattest, neutral one i have (with EQ, its magic) . As below 40hz its useless, so better to reduce even more (less chance of it interfering at higher volume.)

"I think as I've lived with them, I've come to realize that the DT660 excels over the K701 and K501 in the sense that it is closed back with superior isolation.  In an ideal setup with a really good source and a powerful amp, I would still take the AKG except in certain orchestral passages." - David Mahler

Post # 79 of 405 in Thread: i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-ive-ever-heard

Also the dt660/860 are 32 ohm, and work great off a portable/ laptop. It defies all logic. 880.600 and k701 prob need some beefy sources/dac/amp etc. Good Luck

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #10,829 of 12,548
Thank you very much!

The thing is, I have been reading a lot of threads on this forum about headphones for classical music, and DT880 is always mentioned as a good one, but not polarising people like AKG.

So, that is why I thought it is maybe a safer choice.
wink_face.gif

Yeah, I also read Mahler´s battle of flagships, and he rated DT880 A+ alog only three other headphones.

I am not sure, of course, that is why I need opinions of others.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #10,830 of 12,548
  Thank you very much!

The thing is, I have been reading a lot of threads on this forum about headphones for classical music, and DT880 is always mentioned as a good one, but not polarising people like AKG.

So, that is why I thought it is maybe a safer choice.
wink_face.gif

Yeah, I also read Mahler´s battle of flagships, and he rated DT880 A+ alog only three other headphones.

I am not sure, of course, that is why I need opinions of others.
smily_headphones1.gif

The dt880 is a very safe choice. Overall as a headphone its much more of a tool across the board for all genres . The dt660 doesn't work for all genres. But the price difference of the two, plus the fact one doesn't need much amping is a plus, and the isolation. The 880 is an all rounder. But some people listen strictly Classical, so in this genre i was focused.

but like you i got my cans from people's opinions, and many on here give great recommendations!

Yes, i got few David Mahler specials haha
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back