The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 2, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #10,846 of 12,546
No idea about the 812, though.

Even so, I expect my journey to go towards the T1 in the end...

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #10,849 of 12,546
At the 880 / 702 price point, the Beyer. I haven't heard the 812, so I can't comment on its performance relative to the T1.

The T1 has endgame potential, BTW...

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #10,851 of 12,546
At the 880 / 702 price point, the Beyer. I haven't heard the 812, so I can't comment on its performance relative to the T1.

The T1 has endgame potential, BTW...

Before you go headlong into the T1 (either V1 or V2), I'd really suggest you give the DT1990 Pro a listen first. It really is a wonderful headphone.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #10,852 of 12,546
Before you go headlong into the T1 (either V1 or V2), I'd really suggest you give the DT1990 Pro a listen first. It really is a wonderful headphone.

Same, I chose the DT 1990 over the T1.2, I owned both at the same time at one point. I honestly think the DT 1990 is a better headphone, the extra midrange body, better midrange tonality imho, smoother treble, and euphony is much appreciated to my ears. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #10,853 of 12,546
I'll bear that in mind, thanks. Haven't heard the DT1990 yet. If it is better, or even as good, it wins on value!

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #10,854 of 12,546
Thank you.

Can you suggest some Amp/dac for DT880 600Ohm?

As you haven't mentioned a price point, I'll assume you are staying in the mid price bracket:

OTL valve amps work well, try Little Dot Mk. III or IV, Darkvoice 336SE or Bottlehead Crack.

As for DACs, I'm using both an Audio-gd NFB1P (Sabre 9018) and a Teradak Chameleon, upgraded with Obbligato output coupling caps (this is a NOS design with 8 parallel TDA1543 per channel). IMO, the Teradak sounds best, but it can only handle up to 96KHz.

If you want to spend a little more, you might want to consider the current generation of R2R ladder DACs, such as the Audio-gd Singularity 19 or the Denafrips Ares. I haven't heard these yet, but am eager to (and may do so on my next trip to China).

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #10,856 of 12,546
With the Little Dot and Darkvoice amps, you will only realize their true potential when you have upgraded the valves. For the LD Mk.iII, I would recommend Mullard CV4010 drivers and Sylvania 5687 power valves (on the relevant adapters, as they are not pin-compatible with the stock output valves). Replacing the driver valves is a must, the output valves are less critical.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #10,857 of 12,546
Thank you man!

I must ask, what is the best headphone that you used?
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #10,858 of 12,546
  Thank you man!

I must ask, what is the best headphone that you used?
wink_face.gif

In regards to your previous question, I have the 250 ohm version of the DT880. Back when I got it, there was a price premium for the 600 ohm version, and since I wasn't going to be driving it with any sort of mondo amp I didn't see the point in spending the extra money, especially since I would have to wait until I could buy said mondo amp just to properly use the headphone I'd spent $250 on (yes, it was that expensive back then; I even got a $50 discount to reach that price).

My personal advice is to get whatever makes sense to you based on your setup. If you want a headphone whose amping requirements are more versatile (i.e. you want to be able to plug it into stuff you already have and for sure get enough volume), get the 250 ohm version. If you know you're going to use a dedicated headphone amp with it, you can just get the 600 ohm version (you could, of course, also get the 250 ohm one even in this instance). Back in the days when there was a price difference between the two, the extra outlay for the 600 ohm version was a point to consider (and, likely, contributed to its reputation as being clearly better than the 250 ohm one). Now that they're usually equal in price, this is obviously no longer an issue, in which case you can pick whichever one you like.

And even though you didn't direct the quoted question at me, I'll go ahead and answer because, why not? For me, it's the Sennheiser HD600. It doesn't have the deep bass extension or top end air of the DT880, but its all around performance and exceptionally lovely midrange keep me coming back for more. As for its suitability for classical, I'd say that it's technically more accurate, though sometimes less enjoyable, than the DT880. The latter adds a bit of excitement to dull sounding recordings and is probably a bit flatter from the midbass bass through the midrange than the HD600, but it's that excitement factor that also makes the DT880 less strictly accurate. However, it's not a glaring fault, and, depending on preference, I could see people going either way. Personally I like them both for different reasons.

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #10,859 of 12,546
Thank you!

Yeah, these days I am searching like crazy, because I managed to narrow my choices for mostly classical music to DT 880 600Ohm and AKG K702 .

They have the same price in Germany, while Sennheiser HD600 is 120 euros more expensive.
frown.gif

I can get DarkVoice or Little Dot MK III or Matrix M-stage as Amp.

So, that is why I am a bit boring asking people of their opinions.
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #10,860 of 12,546
NEW owner here!

I ordered the Chromes from jjet, via Beach Audio (hoping their authorized reseller) and the deal came with an A5 from Fiio and I paired it with an iPhone 6S Plus. Out of the following,

AKG Q701's, Sennheiser HD580's, Grado SR325e's, Audio Technica A900X, Westone UM Pro 30, Sony V6, Little Dot Mach III, Pimeta, etc...

I'm happiest so far. It's the perfect combination of soundstage, not so big that everything seems disconnected like the AKG's (even with the bass mod), also, these were incredibly uncomfortable due to stupid bumps on the headband. Not so tiny that everything's coming from one place, ala Westone UM Pro 30. In addition, the Westone had far too much low end and far too little low end IMO. The AT A900X and V6 have a closed design and neither felt all that detailed. The HD580's always felt too laid back and a bit "boring" to me. The Grado's came closest to my ideal headphone, but again, the soundstage sort of compressed things and comfort was an issue.

The 880's FINALLY have that sparkle in the highs I've been searching for. The soundstage is wide enough to enjoy the music, but not too wide or too narrow. The comfort's almost perfect, except that it touches my left ear ever so slightly. It's also fast. Bass does not overwhelm me either.

Any ideas how to get the foam to stay a bit further from my ear? The Chrome's definitely have a larger muff than the premiums which basically sat on my ear, but I would prefer just a bit more space.

Overall tho, I have always steered clear from folks saying "Oh, this is too bright or too hot or will fatigue you, etc." I never could figure out why everyone raved about the HD580's (at the time, this was YEARS ago) as I found them "plain, boring, unexciting, etc". So IMO, "warm" is the devil. I have banished my Westone UM Pro's to the closet until I can figure out what to do with them. :frowning2:

Anyway, I'm super super happy with the Beyer DT880 sound. It's fast and I feel like I'm hearing every part of the track. Nothing is hidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back