The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 6, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #10,427 of 12,546

I received the DT 880 special chrome edition as my 2nd pair dt880 because I like it so much. The package inside is just a case with the headphones and manual inside. But HOLY COW, that chrome ring looks SEXY as fk(excuse my slang but you have to see it in person. As far I know, the sound should be identical to the original DT880s though. Totally worth the price.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #10,428 of 12,546

I received the DT 880 special chrome edition as my 2nd pair dt880 because I like it so much. The package inside is just a case with the headphones and manual inside. But HOLY COW, that chrome ring looks SEXY as fk(excuse my slang but you have to see it in person. As far I know, the sound should be identical to the original DT880s though. Totally worth the price.

I got mine today too. Blows me away! My last Beyer purchase was a DT-831 like 16 years ago but still in great condition.

Get yours also from buydig on the eBay sale?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #10,429 of 12,546
what is the comfort on those 880's vs say the DT880 Premiums ??  I imagine they are more comfortable than the Pro's for sure..

those are actually quite nice looking .. my wife would murder me if I bought those in addition to my DT880's Premiums however... =\

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #10,430 of 12,546
Yea I got it off Buydig ebay. DT880's sound signature rivals many flagship headphones I have heard. I would consider this as a steal for the price per performance ratio.
The comfort is just as comfortable as the Pro version. The earpads will break in as you listen to it. Not sure about the Premiums.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #10,431 of 12,546
I just got my special chrome DT880 today from buydig also! For the $149 price, this is an unbeatable value. Goes toe to toe with my HD650, with more treble detail and sub bass. I like these for classical especially. 

Using these with Sonarwoks Reference 3 plugin, my goodness they respond to EQ incredibly well. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #10,432 of 12,546
I've been using DT880 Premiums for well over 3 years for everything from movies, gaming and music.  I really love them however I wanted to explore my library of music a bit more and was wondering if you would know of a good complimentary set of headphones.

I've had a friend recommend the Sennheiser 650 or 600 but wanted a few more opinions before pulling the trigger.

Headphones people have recommend thus far to compliment the DT880 -
ZMF Vibro
AKG K553
AKG K712 Pro
Sennheiser 650
Sennheiser 600
Phillips Fidelio X2
Fostex 610
Emu Teaks
Hifiman 400i

This seems like a very wide set of sound signatures to compliment the DT880s and has me a bit lost as I can't audition all of these.

I guess I want to ask people who have owned the DT880 for some time and can compare it to other headphones.

For a bit of background my favourite IEMs are still Etymotic ER4 PT, I don't have an issue with the 880 treble that others complain of.
Musically I really enjoy rock (e.g. Rage Against the Machine), rap (e.g. Jay-Z), instrumental tracks (such as movie sound tracks) and also some electronica (e.g. Propellerheads, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim).  Of course I listen to a lot more but these are the things I listen to most of all.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #10,433 of 12,546
  I've been using DT880 Premiums for well over 3 years for everything from movies, gaming and music.  I really love them however I wanted to explore my library of music a bit more and was wondering if you would know of a good complimentary set of headphones.

I've had a friend recommend the Sennheiser 650 or 600 but wanted a few more opinions before pulling the trigger.

Headphones people have recommend thus far to compliment the DT880 -
ZMF Vibro
AKG K553
AKG K712 Pro
Sennheiser 650
Sennheiser 600
Phillips Fidelio X2
Fostex 610
Emu Teaks
Hifiman 400i

This seems like a very wide set of sound signatures to compliment the DT880s and has me a bit lost as I can't audition all of these.

I guess I want to ask people who have owned the DT880 for some time and can compare it to other headphones.

For a bit of background my favourite IEMs are still Etymotic ER4 PT, I don't have an issue with the 880 treble that others complain of.
Musically I really enjoy rock (e.g. Rage Against the Machine), rap (e.g. Jay-Z), instrumental tracks (such as movie sound tracks) and also some electronica (e.g. Propellerheads, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim).  Of course I listen to a lot more but these are the things I listen to most of all.

It depends on what you want to complement.

If you want to get bigger stage then K702 should work like charm.
If you want softer treble and fuller bass then HD650.

Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilee is under 300usd these days.
If you want a slightly more resolving and lively DT880 that's probably your best bet.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #10,434 of 12,546

If you want a slightly more resolving and lively DT880 that's probably your best bet.

I haven't heard T90 but personally DT880 is a very under appreciated headphones that performs exceptionally well. If T90 sounds even better than dt880, I must try it out someday then :^)

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #10,435 of 12,546
I haven't heard T90 but personally DT880 is a very under appreciated headphones that performs exceptionally well. If T90 sounds even better than dt880, I must try it out someday then :^)

Just a tad more Bass-Treble than DT880 and more micro-detail.
Both are very fine headphones if you like the traditional Beyer house sound.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #10,436 of 12,546

Thanks for the reply, I guess having either of the above would be interesting.
The two options you've recommended are excellent as I have a store close by where I can audition the 650 and the K702.

However I will probably end up getting one of the newer Beyerdynamics however I'll have to wait till my next paycheck as they are a bit more expensive than the headphones available to me.  Shipping to Australia is a killer!

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #10,437 of 12,546
So I A/B compared my DT880 with an Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser HD650 and AKG 712 Pro today.
AKG 712 Pro
Moderately bigger sound stage, mids were sloppy bass response seemed slow, had a mildly warmer base, treble seemed all over the place.  Resolution felt bloated.  Really quite disappointed considering the hype I had perceived.
Best asped - Very comfortable.

Sennheiser HD600
First thing I noticed was the clamp, wow but I got use to it.Imagine was incredibly accurate, better than the 880s however the treble was definitely rolled off and was missing some of the higher details in the songs I listened to.  The insane thing to me is how narrow the sound stage was, it felt incredibly constrained.
Best aspect - strong mids, nice headband padding.

Sennheiser HD650
Bigger sound stage than the HD600, still not as big as the 880s.  Mid clarity was lower than the HD600 and even less the 880s surprisingly.  Less comfortable to wear.  Warmer sound but it really felt like music was being lost in the high end for a mild, almost unnoticeable increase in warmth compared to the 880s, not even sure I can pin it down.  The 880s have better soundstage, resolution and imaging than this headphone. The differences are very mild but the obvious loss is in the high end.  Detail is sacrificed in the highs, mids have lost resolution for a mild improvement in soundstage.
Best aspect - comfortable to listen to, moderate to average mids.

Honestly owning the DT 880s I felt there was no reason to get any one of these 3 headphones.  I rejected the HD600 based on the narrow sound stage, it felt more compressed than my IEMs in a few songs and already have access to this level (actually more) neutrality with improved soundstage with my Etymotic ER4P.  The AKG was rejected due to just having poor clarity / resolution in the mids and slightly recessed almost treble.  The HD650 is the closest thing to the 880s but is really not competent when A/B'ed for treble, there was chunks of music just missing.

Store clerk said I would ruin my day if I listened to the Beyerdynamic DT1990.
Beyerdynamic DT1990
Holy $hit.  I can't even explain the difference.  The soundstage was just as big as the AKG 712 Pro, it felt bigger, the imaging was the level of the HD600 across the large sound stage, with better resolution, the bass wiped the floor with the other 3 headphones.  The build quality was amazing and it was like I could hear 1.5 to 2x the depth of every song I played.  This headset is insane.  I think I'm just going to save up and buy these.

Beyerdynamic DT1770
Tried these because the store clerk just wanted to mess with me.  Isolation was great, it almost felt as if I had all noise blocked as soon as I wore these, same build quality as the 1990.  Once again better soundstage (somehow) than everything but the DT1990, trebles weren't dampened as I thought they might have been imaging was still there.  Bass had maybe too much rumble for me.  Bass heavy tracks were enjoyable but any poor bass recording was completely exposed.

I just had my day ruined, there was no way I was going to get anything but the DT1990 or the DT1770, however I need to save up a bit more money as these make all other headphones in the store seem incompetent.

Also at the end of the day, there is no need to buy anything from AKG and Sennheiser if you have the DT880s, in the same price range or even $200+ more expensive.  The DT880s are a complete steal for the price that they are currently being sold at and to my ears beat the competition heartily.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #10,438 of 12,546
  So I A/B compared my DT880 with an Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser HD650 and AKG 712 Pro today.
AKG 712 Pro
Moderately bigger sound stage, mids were sloppy bass response seemed slow, had a mildly warmer base, treble seemed all over the place.  Resolution felt bloated.  Really quite disappointed considering the hype I had perceived.
Best asped - Very comfortable.

Sennheiser HD600
First thing I noticed was the clamp, wow but I got use to it.Imagine was incredibly accurate, better than the 880s however the treble was definitely rolled off and was missing some of the higher details in the songs I listened to.  The insane thing to me is how narrow the sound stage was, it felt incredibly constrained.
Best aspect - strong mids, nice headband padding.

Sennheiser HD650
Bigger sound stage than the HD600, still not as big as the 880s.  Mid clarity was lower than the HD600 and even less the 880s surprisingly.  Less comfortable to wear.  Warmer sound but it really felt like music was being lost in the high end for a mild, almost unnoticeable increase in warmth compared to the 880s, not even sure I can pin it down.  The 880s have better soundstage, resolution and imaging than this headphone. The differences are very mild but the obvious loss is in the high end.  Detail is sacrificed in the highs, mids have lost resolution for a mild improvement in soundstage.
Best aspect - comfortable to listen to, moderate to average mids.

Honestly owning the DT 880s I felt there was no reason to get any one of these 3 headphones.  I rejected the HD600 based on the narrow sound stage, it felt more compressed than my IEMs in a few songs and already have access to this level (actually more) neutrality with improved soundstage with my Etymotic ER4P.  The AKG was rejected due to just having poor clarity / resolution in the mids and slightly recessed almost treble.  The HD650 is the closest thing to the 880s but is really not competent when A/B'ed for treble, there was chunks of music just missing.

Store clerk said I would ruin my day if I listened to the Beyerdynamic DT1990.
Beyerdynamic DT1990
Holy $hit.  I can't even explain the difference.  The soundstage was just as big as the AKG 712 Pro, it felt bigger, the imaging was the level of the HD600 across the large sound stage, with better resolution, the bass wiped the floor with the other 3 headphones.  The build quality was amazing and it was like I could hear 1.5 to 2x the depth of every song I played.  This headset is insane.  I think I'm just going to save up and buy these.

Beyerdynamic DT1770
Tried these because the store clerk just wanted to mess with me.  Isolation was great, it almost felt as if I had all noise blocked as soon as I wore these, same build quality as the 1990.  Once again better soundstage (somehow) than everything but the DT1990, trebles weren't dampened as I thought they might have been imaging was still there.  Bass had maybe too much rumble for me.  Bass heavy tracks were enjoyable but any poor bass recording was completely exposed.

I just had my day ruined, there was no way I was going to get anything but the DT1990 or the DT1770, however I need to save up a bit more money as these make all other headphones in the store seem incompetent.

Also at the end of the day, there is no need to buy anything from AKG and Sennheiser if you have the DT880s, in the same price range or even $200+ more expensive.  The DT880s are a complete steal for the price that they are currently being sold at and to my ears beat the competition heartily.

How would the 1990 go up against the t1? Surely, T1 is still the KING of beyers right/
The reviews on the 1990 make it seem like its a galaxy apart from the 880, yet the 880 vs t1 confirm the T1's greatness, but it doesn't seem so far apart.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #10,439 of 12,546
I found the treble to be improved, the sound less metallic, same imaging slightly less soundstage. It's almost like a missed T1 and seemed more neutral. The T1 suffers from the same issue that the hd800 suffers from. However, this is subjective and I didn't get to a/b both. DT1990 can be used with any genre while T1 will be better or worse depending on the genre (IMHO).

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #10,440 of 12,546
I found the treble to be improved, the sound less metallic, same imaging slightly less soundstage. It's almost like a missed T1 and seemed more neutral. The T1 suffers from the same issue that the hd800 suffers from. However, this is subjective and I didn't get to a/b both. DT1990 can be used with any genre while T1 will be better or worse depending on the genre (IMHO).

I would never think T1 would be an all around\r. Nothing is. But Im sure from what I read its a hell of a can for detail, imaging (though less than hd800), and musical enough. For every 10 positive reviews i read on it, there is one that says its good but some flaw. But overall it seems like a world class can, so I think its somewhat low risk , and with small corrections, should be able to at least enjoy most things.

even with 880.250 and EQ'ing i can get it to play most things. Mind you i have like 10 preset EQ settings, so its work.
Even with my car stereo i would have to do like a million likkle tinkerings when switiching genres, and thats the fun of it, and can be frustrating yes.

But, each and every song takes WORK to sound EXCELLENT. Ofc sounding GooD isn't that much work, as these wonderful cans just plug and play. But for it to sound Heavenly, blood, sweat , tears. No other way around in.

If not crawling into a trunk to tweak the amp filters, one must tweak tweak tweak till the cows come home

i feel the pain of trying to make songs sound good, i do, but its a pain thats less than the pain pain within LOL
biggrin.gif
life pains vs audio pains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back